WBC put Bellew in charge of new division

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by CaravanDweller, Aug 18, 2020.

1. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    All together now- They should just leave Tony alone, he never asked for this. He just wants to be left alone!

CaravanDweller and destruction like this.
  2. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    I think there should be a division inbetween both tbh. There’s plenty inbetween both. Look at Thorley the other week against Billam Smith. I think I say this because I know if I was a professional boxer at 6 3/4 I could make myself to get to 14 st 3 or whatever it is but i don’t think I’d have the energy to fight what rounds they need to and there’s no way I could compete against Furys etc without having to turn myself into a Povetkin/Whyte type hooker and which can’t be just done. This means you’d just get your head jabbed off unless you’re unreal like Usyk. Even David Haye never beat a big heavyweight except for the freaky big but freaky slow Valuev.

I get what people say about it could create more ducking but I remember Bellew hinting that Craig Glover will be retiring because there’s no way he’d ever make light heavy but is just too small for cruiser weight. I don’t feel right with someone with enough talent to make a living from a sport working the soul destroying 9-5 because of outdated weights. Human beings sizes change over the years and it already seems weird for it to go up 7lbs all the way up from light welter and then have a 25lb gap once you get to 12 stone 7 anyway.

As for Bellew, he’s just lingering like a bad fart. Wasn’t a hater but he does grate on me the way he’s everywhere now.

tdf1974, CaravanDweller and Twentyman like this.
  3. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Would make more sense to have one between LHW and CW really

Twentyman likes this.
  4. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    I'd personally drop the cruiserweight down so there isn't as big gap to LHW. Then put the extra weight class in between the new cruiserweight and heavyweight.

Makes the most sense imo as that way your bridging the gap between two weight classes.

Fhaggis and CaravanDweller like this.
  5. themaster999

themaster999 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2015
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned how much Tony just wants to be left alone and to get home safely to his wife and kids.....

CaravanDweller likes this.
  6. ipitythefool

ipitythefool Prediction ? Pain Full Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Have i way over slept and it's now April 1st 2021 ?

7. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Exactly

8. kostya by ko

kostya by ko Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2005
    I think they need to create one more additional division with a weight range between 1 kg less than the weight Wilder usually fights and one kg more than the weight Wilder usually fights at.

He can fight random people who happen to fit within that weight range and be a beltholder for another 5 years.

9. Dannymita

Dannymita Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Jesus... With the wbc putting him in charge of something .. Now bellew will actually carry poweh

10. Antonio Hit Man Hayers

Antonio Hit Man Hayers New Member banned Full Member

Aug 17, 2020
    The World Bellew Council must be looking forward to the first meeting.

11. tdf1974

tdf1974 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2013
    get rid of 175

Make a 180 light cruiser
    make a 195 cruiser
    and 210 light heavyweight

I have no idea why 175 is called light heavyweight these days anyway ...Its super super middle or light cruiser

How can boxers like Hunter and povetkin etc compete with men 8 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier ...I doubt a 20 year old Prime Tyson could even compete with these super heavys these days

Going from 175 to 200 is too much and 200 to fighting 260/270 is plain dangerous

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020