WBSS - Heavyweights

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Felix Sanchez, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Felix Sanchez

Felix Sanchez Active Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    I've seen Big Kalle mention the potential for the HW division to be one of the weights for the next WBSS.

Given that we are unlikely to see Fury, AJ and Wilder - or any of the top 5-6 take part, who would you like in it?

There's potential for plenty of great fights with some of the below involved, and a potential great springboard to becoming a far bigger name...but who is going to be prepared to the take the risks?

Hunter
    Joyce
    Dubois
    Yoka
    Hrgovic
    Gassiev - if he ever returns
    Parker
    Bakole
    Ajaba
    Makhmudov

Probably quite a few i've missed off, who could add something.
    Kabayal

2. kostya by ko

kostya by ko Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Pity Dychko hasn't got enough fights under his belt to go into this.

The 4 2016 medalists in with 4 others with the winner up for a potential Joshua fight, would be cool.

3. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Would it happen though? The economics of the HW division are a lot different than the other weights from what I can see.

The rewards for protecting an average prospect and bringing them through to a HW title match unbeaten are significant.

This is particularly the case if your guy is fortunate enough to come from a country with a large domestic fight scene and purchasing power.

I don't think we would see Frank Warren for instance pushing DDD into a WBSS format, when he's not far off manoeuvring him into WBO contention...

Hope I'm wrong of course, would love to see it happen.

kostya by ko likes this.
  4. Felix Sanchez

Felix Sanchez Active Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Yep, by no means are you going to be able to get all of them into it. Would be interesting to see what Kalle has in mind.

5. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    There's a few you listed who may not have a big promoter onside and thus a better/easier path to riches. Joyce, bakole, gassiev, ajabe and kabayel.

If you mixed some decent guys around the top 20 guys like Takam hen it could be a decent watch.

What we won't get though is the feeling that in the final we are watching the best take on the best and the winner is the guy like Usyk who has proven themselves above all contenders.

Still, I'd sooner it happens so fingers crossed the numbers work out sufficient to put up a decent lineup,