Weaver vs Cooney for the belt

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Holmes77, Aug 4, 2022.

1. FastLeft

FastLeft Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2022
    is all the fantasy with the Gerry Cooney.
    & yes he was a good boxer & puncher & he was big man. i agree with this.
    but the fantasy he was proved world class elite at any time to be favour against with the best of the division. this myth. he was never. & he showed clear weakness.

2. FastLeft

Apr 23, 2022
    the myth also is Weaver suffering early stop losses
    yes slow starting but KO loss early no
    not really. Dokes in 1982 was worse stop ever in title match
    rematch is 15 round no problems

Weaver was stop early in some match as novice levels clubfighter starting rocky start only 1972/74 time. this is not Weaver of prime when was world class boxer.
    then aside from Dokes match he is no stop early until 1986 with Bonecrusher.

from age 23 and 34 he only is stops by Holmes (12) & Thomas (8) & gives good fight with best numbers 1 in world .
    & Dokes stop (1 round) is highly controversial madness referee decisions

Cooney is stop by Holmes (13), Spinks (5) and old Foreman (2)
    & where is his wins with levels world class boxer? who is he win with on level of Tate & Weaver & Coetzee & even Tillis? lol

" Cooney was washed shot past prime alcoholic with Spinks & rusty inactive even more with Foreman ' '
    Lol. Yes. is true. & see the corpse stiff washed old Lyle & Norton he build himself on. is joke

3. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Either way and decided very early .. Weaver was slow starting as noted and could get caught early and Cooney started very fast .. however Weaver could turn this fight on one shot ..

4. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Weaver was stopped early by Dokes in 1, Bonecrusher in 1, Du Plooy in 2, was on verge of being stopped by Williams in 2 until Weaver pulled out a hail mary left hook.

Weaver could be vulnerable early as the fights above prove, and Cooney would be a very live threat early on.

And whether or not you think Weaver beat better opponents than Cooney did, doesn't mean style wise Cooney who is a fast starting hard hitting fighter, wouldn't be potentially a bad style match up for Weaver. Who has got off to many slow starts, and has been stopped early numerous times.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    mr. magoo likes this.
  5. FastLeft

Apr 23, 2022
    Dokes was BS stoppage
    DuPlooy Weaver is 37 year old washed shot fighter & he already did win against him anyway.

yes prime Cooney can KO 36 or 37 year Weaver

prime Weaver more likely is Cooney get stopped in early round.

6. FastLeft

Apr 23, 2022
    Cooney never proof much effective fast start with good fighter . actually was hurt & knocked down early with Holmes not huge power puncher

is like Coetzee will KO Weaver if he start fast. but he fast start this match & did not win.
    Coetzee & Tate both have early KO stop wins on record also but do not do it with Weaver. is not happen.
    Cooney has nothing but shot corpse early KO win. Ron Lyle complete bum levels at the age 40 . & Norton is clubfights level age 37. this is comedy matchmaking almost tragedy

7. FastLeft

Apr 23, 2022
    but can agree to disagree

8. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    I appreciate your point but Weaver was hurt early often ... obviously Dokes, Bonecrusher Smith, ready to go vs Williams till his own big **** landed, DuPloy, rocked bad by Anthony .. Cooney was much more of a puncher than Coetzee or Tate and more relevant to this conversation was a much faster starter ... just how I see it ..

Mark Dunham likes this.
  9. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    The Dokes stoppage was early for sure, but I still think Weaver was in big trouble and would of been stopped anyway.

Weaver wasn't a guy that was known for stopping guys early, outside of Williams when he himself was on verge of being stopped. And threw a hail mary left hook to rescue the fight.

If Weaver was to win this fight it would be later in the fight, as @Glass City Cobra pointed out. Weaver was a bit unusual that if he got warmed up into a fight, he was pretty durable. But early on he could be hurt and vulnerable.

As I said the two scenarios are Weaver late after surviving the early storm, or Cooney early not allowing Weaver to get into the fight. I could see both scenarios happening, but I think I lean towards Cooney early. Weaver is there to be hit unlike Holmes.

Glass City Cobra and Reinhardt like this.
  10. FastLeft

Apr 23, 2022
    it is an opinion. yes mine is different

I point out Cooney never stop anyone early worth a mention.
    Weaver KO2 Williams & Coetzee KO1 Spinks is probable better early KO than whatever Cooney did.

Cooney never proofed he can KO any live contender of top levels at all.
    there is really his only validation is loss to Holmes & cut stop a light puncher Young.
    & with Holmes he did look bad hurt early . round 2 looked bad againsto moderate puncher.
    this is how I form opinion Weaver will be ok here.

11. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

I think your opinion is correct, Cooney was actually a better boxer than given credit for and his jab probably sets up some bombs on Weaver. It's certainly not a given but it's the way I'd bet.

12. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    You could be right and I see the logic. But Holmes was able to take Cooney apart by boxing him. Weaver was a slow starter and Cooney was much bigger and could punch and did his best work early. A mike weaver victory isn’t out of the question and there are many who would favor him. But I can also see this resulting in an early stoppage for Cooney. Even Michael Dokes had him in trouble early and fast starts weren’t his MO. Granted the stoppage was controversial and probably shouldn’t have been halted but Hercules was hurt in the first round by a man who wasn’t a big puncher, fast starter and much closer to Weaver in size

13. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Weaver by 8th round kayo. I think he miraculously weathers anything Gerry throws at him, and drops him in the sixth. He pours it on then kayoes Cooney.

14. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I agree it was stopped too early as do many. But there’s no denying weaver was hurt and in trouble. Now replace the lighter hitting Dokes with Cooney and that might have created a problem. See fight below.
    This content is protected

15. Kid Bacon

Kid Bacon All-Time-Fat Full Member

Nov 8, 2011
    I go with the mainstream in this one.
    Conney early advantage, Weaver late advantage

Dynamicpuncher and mr. magoo like this.