Weight training in the morning-

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Black2023, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Black2023

Black2023 Guest

Say you were to get up at 6am, eat...then 7AM to 8AM do your weights?

Is this ok.

2. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
  3. Primate

Primate Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 16, 2010
    I had a buddy that tried that... once...

4. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    Poor *******. I had a friend that ended up in hospital cause he trained at half 7 in the morning. What a numpty.

Everybody that has a clue knows it's unsafe for your body to train before 9am.

5. Gladigator

Gladigator bewbie Full Member

Jul 11, 2011
    I suppose that should be just fine, but you might not perform like you would in the afternoon.

6. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    Meaning what exactly?

7. Black2023

Black2023 Guest

:lol: guess il take questions to serious forums then....low level stuff here,

8. Black2023

Black2023 Guest

for newbies-

From the reading I have done, it should be about 90 minutes between your last carb meal and the time you hit the weights because of the insulin spike and performance. You'd be better off going ahead and grabbing a protein shake if you're training that closely to waking time and then having your PWO meal, followed by another meal 30-60 minutes later.

Since we're on the subject of time, here is some research conducted by Armstrong in 2000 relating to time and the way the body functions-
    Armstrong (2000) presented the following data (1):

Daily Peaks in Factors Affecting Athletic Performance

Circadian Rhythm
    Time of Day

Blood Catecholamine level
    6-10AM

Blood Cortisol Level
    6-10AM

Short-term Memory
    8AM-1PM

Speed and Accuracy of Motor Performance
    12PM

Logical Reasoning
    2PM

Trunk Flexibility
    2PM

Self-Rated Vigor
    3PM

Maximal Ventilation (breathing) Rate
    3PM

Lowest Fatigue during Maximal Exercise
    4PM

Peak Esophageal (core) Temperature
    4PM

Grip Strength
    2-6PM

Maximal Oxygen Consumption
    3-8PM

Eye-Hand Tracking Control
    8PM

Adapted from Armstrong, 2000.
    Time of day is also significant with respect to injury risk potential, as there's a diurnal variation in spine length due to the in- and outflow of the fluid within the intervertebral discs. At night, while you’re lying horizontally and the spine isn’t loaded, fluid enters the disc; when you wake up and start moving around, fluid begins to leave the disc. By the end of the day, you’re actually shorter!

Oddly enough, you’re safer in the "short" scenario. The increased fluid content present when you first wake up is associated with increased stiffness of the spine when you bend (because the discs have expanded). Because the muscles can’t just adapt to compensate for this alteration to spine length, the discs and ligaments take on more of the stress.

Body temperature is also lower upon rising, so range of motion (ROM) is compromised even further. As the day goes on and you move around more, body temperature increases and the fluid flows out of the disc, improving ROM and reducing ligament stress. McGill (2004) noted that in the morning, disc-bending and ligament stresses during forward flexion were 300% and 80% greater than when performed later in the day. Moreover, lumbar flexion ROM increases by 5-6° during this same time period (2).

Basically, you need to give your spine at least thirty minutes in the morning to "wake up," and I’d prefer that you wait at least three hours to train. This recommendation is largely based on the increase in body temperature that you experience in this time. The data from Armstrong presented above actually shows that maximal grip strength and body temperature peak at approximately the same time of day (~4PM). Speaking anecdotally, this is the time of day at which I seem to have my best training sessions. This would obviously be influenced by how early in the day you arise, though. If you’re up earlier, this time would likely be shifted forward a bit.

9. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    I like how you posted something random you found on the Internet that doesn't really mean anything to anyone here seeing as nobody here is a world class athlete that needs to train optimaly every day. I doubt you know what most of that even means.

Bye then.

10. Black2023

Black2023 Guest

Il actually like your posts, its a valid question would honestly like to here what you think...take it or leave it.

11. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    Why do you think there would be a problem with waking up, having breakfast then training at the gym? I along with many millions of other people around the world have been doing just this for years.

12. Black2023

Black2023 Guest

Ok thanks, I was wondering if it affects performance in a sport or muscle building thats all.

So up 6am - meal 1 then 7am or 7.30 weights.

PM - Sport specific-

Monday

AM- Weights
    PM- Boxing

Tuesday
    AM-
    PM- BJJ

Wednesday
    AM- Weights
    PM- Boxing

Thursday
    AM-
    PM- BJJ

Friday-
    AM- Weights
    PM- Boxing

Saturday
    AM- Strongman events

13. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    You may feel a bit weaker or tired or whatever at first but your body will adapt over time.

The difference in performance and muscle building will, as ever, mostly be down to your diet. Hormone levels are different in the morning, however the difference you'll actually notice will be extremely small if it all.

That's a pretty full schedule. You better be eating like a horse for all that training.

14. Black2023

Black2023 Guest

Well the most ive ever trained is 4 times, ive put down 9 sessions of different methods.

What type of diet would be eating like a horse, I think mrsmalls kinda say dont eat to lean as long as you get the calories in...

What are the best foods to aid recovery>?

15. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    grains and oats only with a bit of hay on the side.