Weight transfer, how much and combos!?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by ChodesRbetter, Jul 5, 2019.

1. ChodesRbetter

ChodesRbetter New Member banned Full Member

Jul 4, 2019
    How much do boxers transfer weight from foot to foot? Is it 100% or less?

They seem to do much less when I watch someone like pacman on the heavy bag.

Also during a combination if you land a punch on say the heavybag or a person, then the weight that would have been transferred into your foot is transferred into the heavy bag or the person, but then how do you transfer weight for the next punch in the combination because it just went into the bag and now neither of your feet are loaded with the weight. Same for subsequent punches in the combination. Do you load first before finishing the combo because that seems way too slow, or do you finish the combo without full weight transfer? How does it work in say a 4-5 punch combo?

2. Songshadow

Songshadow Dogged & Relentless Full Member

Jun 24, 2019
    Your question is difficult to answer because each person is very different in the way they perform.
    I have seen a track coach operator a digital foot pad that measures the placement, and pressure of a runner's foot for computerized referencing but I have never seen it used for boxing.

Honestly, this question is really not for me. I am not a trainer, and when I was throwing punches all I was thinking about was not getting hit, and where is my next opening is for another strike. There wasn't enough time to think about my foot work. All that comes from training, and a redundancy of motion.

3. wucking fasted

wucking fasted Anthony Joshua - the Bob Sapp of boxing Full Member

Aug 20, 2010
    When I throw left hooks I have about 70% on my left, then transfer all of my weight it to my right foot by the end of the punch.
    I don't know if that is a good thing to do or not. But I would say the more you transfer the harder the punch.
    But it may make your feet a bit slower if you need to move away.
    I transfer 90% my weight hitting the bag and pads but probably not so much when I'm sparring

4. ChodesRbetter

ChodesRbetter New Member banned Full Member

Jul 4, 2019
    Anyone not r-tarded that can answer? Once again if you connect the weight goes into them not the floor/foot so then if its a combo and one hits what happens to teh weight transfer on the next shots in the combo?

5. beewood

beewood New Member Full Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Certain combinations will allow fasthands with weight transfer on every shot eg right uppercut, left hook, right bodyshot. However this is not possible with every combination as sometimes the weight must be reset to the back foot before another power punch can be thrown eg right uppercut, right hook, there is a gap inbetween those 2 punches to reload, practice will make this transition smooth and fast. A simple 1-2 left jab, straight right requires a light fast jab with most of the weight on the back foot which then allows weight transfer and rotation to deliver a powerful right hand. Apart from the left hook where the weight transfer is front to rear foot, the left uppercut and left rip both generate their power from hip rotation alone, the weight stays on the front foot with no transfer, when done together the weight stays on the front foot with hip rotation providing the loading of the punches as well as the delivery. Not every punch is delivered with full power in combinations, you will see right uppercuts thrown from the back foot with no weight transfer aswell as straight rights off the front foot (Floyd Mayweather), the key is to make the punches flow and deliver power when required. The question of % of weight transfer is anwered by; are you on balance with a stable base/stance? If you miss the punch, will you fall off balance? Can you disguise the weight shift so as not to telegraph the punch.

ChodesRbetter likes this.
  6. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Interesting! When I throw the hook my knees and waist are bent; I start the punch from my heels, with the back heel being ground in much more than the front, the latter of which ultimately follows through the punch by stepping to my right a bit. The right foot never leaves the ground.

As far as the old one two: I step off my right and in with my left, grinding the front heel to swing the whole right side of my body into the punch. Ends up looking a bit like Bowe used to do, though he too often looped his right. Mine is pretty tight.

I def ain't no Big Daddy though lol! No one could be.