Were the media in anyone's back pocket?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Leif Erikson, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Leif Erikson

Leif Erikson Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Now, I don't know about you people, but I couldn't see any way on this planet that - barring David Haye entering the ring looking like a prune - he could fail to defeat Enzo Macarinelli. Yeah, he's made mistakes in the past but he's always showed a willingness to adapt and evolve (and I would say that he actually looked a lot sharper and quicker this weekend than he did against Mormeck).

However, in the days leading up to the fight it seemed that a slight majority of BRITISH journalists were picking Enzo to win. Now, he's a decent enough fighter. Likeable bloke. But there's never, ever been anything to suggest he's on Haye's level or that he has Haye's level of power, speed or skill. Yet a lot of these people were picking him for victory.

So that confused a relative layman like me. Sure, I've been a very big boxing fan since I was nine or ten, but I'm not covering fights for a living week in, week out. Yet I had unshakable belief that, barring an almost unfathomable mistake or terrible weight drain from Haye, that he'd win. And there were all of these experts tipping the 'Mac Express' to roll over Haye and his heavyweight aspirations. On boxing forums, on the other hand, it appeared that the vast majority expected Haye to win comfortably.

Were they really just terribly wrong, or were they towing the line?

2. Sly

Sly Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2007
    There are two reasons for that and both are linked.

1. Maccarinelli is an ITV boy. Everyone has seen an Enzo Maccarinelli fight at some stage. David Haye has been more hidden away. That's why you'd get tossers in the the pubs and clubs picking Enzo. They fell for the hype.

2. A lot of big-time journos know ****-all about boxing. They watch the BIG SHOWS (see 'Frank Warren shows') and think boxing begins and ends there. They'd know nothing about Haye's amateur pedigree, his superiority in speed, punch power and cleverness. That is why most people within boxing and those you read on boxing forums picked Haye. They knew more about him and were more wary of falling for Enzo's hype.

Along those lines, I can guarantee if Enzo had won that fight we'd see his mug plastered all over the back pages. So I guess, in answer to you first question, I'd agree.