What about Gassiev as bridgerweight champ?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by catchwtboxing, Nov 25, 2020.

1. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    My hope is for Hunter Vs Povetkin, but Hunter has already turned it down, and Povetkin will probably want that last shot at heavy. Wilder has also turned it down, and Usyk is also a mandatory like Povetkin. So there is no chance of a current A-lister contending for this thing.

Gassiev would be perfect.

1) A quality unified cruiserweight champ.
    2) About the right size and build (looked good at 230, could get down to 224).
    3) Would have to wait out the Joshua-Fury-Pulev-Usyk-Wilder-Whyte-Povetkin circus before he was even considered for a heavyweight shot anyway.
    4) As good as he is, was rolled by Usyk, and would have a hard night against Joshua or Fury right now.
    5) Has to test himself because of injuries.

Murat could pick up the new belt, and take on decent rebuilders like Romanov and Kossobutskiy while defending another championship. Then, in three to four years, when he will still only be 30-31, he can re-invade the heavies.

What do y'all think?

2. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
  3. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    I wanted to say that it´s a waste of time, but the top dogs at heavy are all tied up at the moment.

But the problem is that the first punch Gassiev lands at Bridgerweight will get him kicked out of the division. The dude hits too hard. It will be called child abuse.
    Multiple heavybags have stepped forward and there are sworn affidavits about Gassiev´s abuse of power. That Russian Oligarchy money can only protect him for so long.

4. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    What about Gassiev knocks out the Bridgerweight division and puts it into a coma? That way we won't have to hear about it again.

5. catchwtboxing

Jul 4, 2014
    Yeah, but he's got injuries to his hand and shoulder. It might take him some time to rebuild that power.

Badbot likes this.
  6. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    No need it's hardly the best kept secret in the world that Gassiev was already sparking out 250lb top 10 HWs in the gym when he was down at CW.

“The power he has shown me in the gym sparring against [heavyweights Dominic] Breazeale, Charles Martin, Gerald Washington, Chris Arreola, is very real,” Sanchez said. “All those guys, he’s been able to dominate and hurt. Once we get him to the heavyweight division and stabilize him at 225, 230, and put some muscle on those pounds, he’ll be very effective.''
    -- Abel Sanchez

Which HW's ribs did Gassiev break in sparring?

This content is protected

Timestamped

''Ask any given sparring partner who’s been in there with him and they will tell you he’s a small heavyweight who fights like a big heavyweight.

“Murat Gassiev – that motherbeeeper hits hard,” heavyweight contender Chris Arreola said of his experience while training with the Russian banger in Big Bear, California.

The two worked in the same gym space for their recent training camps. Arreola was preparing for his December 12 showdown with Travis Kauffman, a fight he won by split decision. The final outcome was disputed, but Arreola’s energy at fight’s end was attributed to the work he put in during his time in Big Bear, also crediting Gassiev as one of the fighters who pushed him in the gym.

“He caught me in the ribs during one sparring session, I just never been hit like that before,” Arreola admitted. “This was a camp I was already determined to leave as a trim and ready fighter, but I knew I couldn’t half-ass it when he was there. Whenever I saw him in the gym when I arrived, I was like “Beep, not that guy again.” But he makes you work in the gym, he makes you a better fighter.”

'Here is another endorsement. World-class cruiserweight Ola Afolabi (who has sparred both Wlad and Vitali among other HWs) proclaimed that Gassiev is a certified assassin. “Probably the hardest puncher I’ve ever been in with,” said Afolabi, a pro since 2002 and a three-time cruiserweight title challenger ranked No. 10 by THE RING.'

S-JAM Boxing said he's the hardest puncher he's ever seen, and that he's seen him up close and personal in the gym and tapes of him doing bad things to top ten HWs in the gym ie. wrecking and sparking them. Just join the dots. S-JAM Boxing manages Joe Joyce, Joyce was trained by Abel Sanchez and he's obviously alluding to the footage he's seen in Sanchez's gym.

ShovelHook, roughdiamond and LongJohn like this.
  7. catchwtboxing

Jul 4, 2014
    No, I totally get all of that. Not only does he hit hard, but like Tyson or Joe Louis, he hits hard with either hand, and a variety of punches.

But again, he's got some chronic injuries. He could take some time at this new tweener division to rebuild and test his body.

Those goddamn shoulder injuries are no joke. Ruined Buddy Mcgirt. Ruined Jeff Lacey. Even Vitali was never quit the same again. I'd like to see him give himself time.

ShovelHook and Serge like this.
  8. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    Yeah I'm worried about the shoulder injury too. Same goes for Loma because even one of the world's leading, if not the leading, shoulder surgeons couldn't prevent him from reinjuring his again and sadly chances are it'll probably go again if he continues fighting. But that being said, I really want to see Gassiev's power wreaking havoc on these 6'6'' 250lb plus behemoth's mandible sections

9. Slowhand

Slowhand Member Full Member

Dec 26, 2012
    At 230 Gassiev looks crazy strong and just as explosive as before. The top Super HWs can probably out box him, but absolutely nobody can afford to trade punches with him. I´d like to see him vs VADA tested Miller next, just for the violence and also to get rid of Big Baby for good.
    - Almost forgot: Bridgerweight is a joke, Sulaiman is a joke, WBC is a joke. Bad jokes.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    The Senator likes this.
  10. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Sparring partners wish to get attention to their own person. They does know that they aren't backuped prospects but still wish to get attention in media.
    Common trend: I was a sparring partner for x or y, he so and so.

Last thing to listen.
    Due to damages etc in sparring, there is stuff called NDA and these employees ( sparring partners ) are just sparring partners.

11. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    He just weighed 230lbs for his last fight. He's a legit HW and probably always was.

12. BigBone

BigBone Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 20, 2007
    It's a bridge too far.

VBOX likes this.
  13. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    S-JAM Boxing ain't no sparring partner and neither is Ben Davison.

14. LongJohn

LongJohn Member Full Member

Jan 5, 2018
    This Bridgerweight b******s is just another thing that’s helping ruining our sport. Less divisions and less champions is what we need not more.

These sanctioning bodies are just to damn greedy.

Serge, The Senator and VBOX like this.
  15. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Would anyone want to win it? You'd be considered a bit of a joke.

They should have "bridged" the gap between Light Heavy and Cruiser if anything...

The Senator likes this.