What about Jake LaMotta?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by OBCboxer, Aug 20, 2008.

1. OBCboxer

OBCboxer Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 2, 2007
    I've seen the Raging Bull and everything and his actual fight film and there's one thing that gets me. Why is he portrayed as a powerful puncher? His KO ratio is very low for the number of fights he had. I know how he was controlled by the Mob. Did they give him orders to carry fighters throughout a fight and not KO him?

2. la-califa

la-califa Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Jake LaMotta was not a powerful puncher, but he was always in the face of an opponent. attacking and never letting up. Simular to an early Duran. Occasionally he would get the knockout, but mostly he would weardown his opponent and go to a decision. LaMotta was not Controlled by the Mob. If you pay closer attention to the Movie. His lack of cooperation was the reason he did not get a title shot years earlier. In order to finally get a title shot he had to cooperate with the Mob for ONE fight against Billy Fox. He threw that fight so the Mob could bet against him and win alot of Money. Then about a year later when everything died down. LaMotta got his title shot as promised against Marcel Cerdan.

3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Very complete answer.

4. shommel

shommel Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 12, 2008
    i dont know about not being a hard puncher. watch the cerdan title fight and at the end jake and cerdans handler have to help hold cerdan up as jake walks him around the ring with his arm raised. he looked pretty beat up and out of it to me.

5. shommel

shommel Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 12, 2008
    just watrched lamotta-murphy II and it looked like jake could hit pretty hard to me he really rocked murphy

6. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Jake could hit, He dropped Robinson and stopped Cerdan and others, There were so many good fighter in top condition in those days with experience in the ring and gyms, It was compettitve but Jake was a Bull...He was shunned by the mob because he was not controlled by them, they reached his brother for the Fox DIVe then they allowed him to get a shot but the win over Cerdan was a legit win. The mob just removed the block...like King did in the 80's and 90's

7. CottoDaBodykill

CottoDaBodykill Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 6, 2008
    he wasn't into the power game but he was an accumalitive puncher ...and he'd catch you from odd angles lungeing in the way he did ...

lamotta used to beat the **** out of the mob and send them packing whenever they'd **** around with him ..

in his book he states when he was about 17 him and a friend held up a mafia dice game with one gun ... made all these made men and **** line up agianst the walll .. at one point one of them mouthes off and lamotta bashes his head with the gun ... the rest just keep quiet and proceed to get ripped off blind by a very VERY green lamotta lmao

dude wasn't normal by any stretch of the imagination

8. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Jake was a decent puncher ... let's keep in mind two things...

the first is that for most of his career he killed himself to make weight and that drains a fighter. He was a natural 168 pounder in an era without a 168 pound division ...

secondly he fought an exceptional level of opposition. He fought all the tough black fighters of his era that many white and black fighters ducked.

LaMotta is under rated today . He was a very talented, terrific fighter.

9. CottoDaBodykill

Apr 6, 2008
    bingo hegrant...lamotta is my favorite fighter and alot of it is because he ducked very few men

10. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Whilst I agree with you that Jake was a cracking fighter, and one of the few to step up and take on some of the guys on the black murderers row, but he ducked Burley and didn't take on Williams until Holman was close to washed up...Williams pushed him hard.

11. CottoDaBodykill

Apr 6, 2008
    Mcgrain as much of a fan of his that i am...your right ..i can't deny that

12. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Yea but he stopped Bob Satterfield and Satterfield KO'd Cleveland "BIG CAT" WILLIAMS and KO"d Heavyweight Bob Baker in 1 and Had Big Nino Valdez on the floor for a 9count in the last rd of a UD..you cant fight everyone but Lamotta had no fear of anyone

13. CottoDaBodykill

Apr 6, 2008
    agian i see truth in this also ...

with a record like lamotta its hard to blame a guy for ducking...he fought a list of whose who

14. Samurai

Samurai I lost an avatar bet Full Member

Mar 30, 2008
    I haven't seen anyone consider LaMotta a powerful puncher.

15. paidinrakim

paidinrakim Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2008

foreal b the man was a beast to bad we aint got any of his fights in his prime ya dig