What age can children start boxing?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Baxt, Jan 26, 2012.

1. mono

mono Well-Known Member Full Member

May 31, 2013
    Yeah, that made no sense, lol.

2. MAD_PIGE0N

MAD_PIGE0N ... banned Full Member

Sep 3, 2022
    He's referring to @viru§™ number of likes received compared to the total number of his posts.

3. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Yeah. I don't get it. I pointed out that the post was posted a decade ago and this guy want's to start talking ****.

4. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    I have a fun story about that. When I was around 9 or so, my father and I took karate lessons together. The place we went put a lot of focus on sparring, as the lead instructor was a former kickboxer and regularly acted as a judge for local kickboxing events. The adults got to spar hard. The kids sparred for points, but we were allowed to throw hard. We wore gloves, foot pads, headgear, cups, mouth guards. It was a lot of fun.

Sometimes, after we got home from class, my father would move the living room furniture to the side and we'd spar, just playing around. Except I'd been used to kicking hard. Maybe anyone reading this can already see where this is going...

One time, 9 year old me defeated my dad, TKO1, via nut shot. He hadn't put his cup back on to mess around with me, and I stepped to the side and threw a roundhouse kick that he happened to have maneuvered himself right into position to receive right in the family jewels. Total accident. I felt super bad. But it did make me remember that a well placed nut shot can take out even a much larger opponent.

5. stevic1

stevic1 Marvelous Full Member

Oct 18, 2021
    I'd say the earlier the better, they should use the time advantage to learn clean technique slowly and they should watch other people spar a lot,be weary of injuries that could shorten their career or even sadder ruin their quality of life (both mentally and physically)
    I still wouldn't put a child on a full on 2-4 hours a day for 5-6 days a week,that will drain them and probably ruin their health and stress them out too much
    let them enjoy touch sparring and playing fighting with other kids,shadow box,run and bike with their friends doing some light strength exercises and stretching and it'll all be good :)