What are other examples when a challenger made a top p4p star look average?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Heavy_Hitter, May 11, 2022.

1. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    I do not think there has been a more shocking in-ring performance since, and that was 19 years ago. Agree. Bonkers at the time. Barrera was a boxing icon, in his prime, regarded even much higher than Canelo was.

This content is protected

gollumsluvslave and Dannymita like this.
  2. Bad Boy Bill

Bad Boy Bill Active Member Full Member

May 13, 2016
    Aren't you the guy who was on here telling people that you never watched boxing live as they happened but watched fights on youtube years after? You're the guy who slobbered on pac for beating Ledwaba and glorified it as one of the best things on earth since sliced bread? And you're the guy who loves Beterballs?:elboinas:

3. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Floyd-Corrales

Rigondeaux-Donaire

JunlongXiFan likes this.
  4. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    I didn't watch boxing live when I was in college because I took out loans to pay for school. I now make 100k a year. So good return on investment you think?

5. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    He unfortunately looked very subpar for much of that fight (injury or not), even after he turned up. It applies. Teo should've been dominated by him from pillar to post and yet he was somehow able to take enough rounds to dethrone him (without controversy). That kind of exemplifies the position of this thread no?

Now if they fought a rematch, Loma would likely dominate him, I'm certain. But for that one night..................

6. Jackman65

Jackman65 FJB Full Member

Aug 31, 2019
    He did walk into the ring first. You know, as the challenger does.

chacal likes this.
  7. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
  8. tokyo5exwale

tokyo5exwale Underdogs are on top banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Jean Pascal vs Chad Dawson

Rumsfeld likes this.
  9. heerko koois

heerko koois Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Frankie Randall vs JC Chavez comes to mind

10. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Hopkins vs Pavlik.

Rumsfeld and gollumsluvslave like this.
  11. JunlongXiFan

JunlongXiFan Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 9, 2020
    I came here to say the second one

12. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Guty Espadas against Erik Morales in the 1st fight.

13. Mickc

Mickc Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    There are a good few thats already been mentioned but a recent one is Catterall v Taylor. The scoring did not reflect the fight and Taylor as an Undisputed Champion looked terrible.

14. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    As prime an example as any is Vic Darchinyan vs. Christian Mijares.

It tends to be forgotten that Mijares was a pretty big star in Mexico and spoken highly of in pound-for-pound terms across the boxing industry/fanbase.

Vic dominated him in every aspect, barely dropped a round on the way to knocking him out in the 9th;

This content is protected

"After the first round, the Mexican crowd will be silent. There will be nothing for them to cheer about. I don't mind coming in being the bad guy. I know most of the fans will be against me, but at the end of the night they will be on my side. They said Mijares is pound-for-pound the best fighter out there, but after I get finished with him we'll see what number he is. I'm going to give a lesson to the little boy. I'm a smart fighter, but I will knock him out with my power. I know his weaknesses and they will be exposed. After I knock him out I don't want to hear any excuses that he's still better than me. When I beat him, it's not going to be because he's no good but because I'm so much better."

"Did I keep my promise? What about my pound-for-pound ranking? Mijares was number six. Against Mijares, I promised to deliver a skillful, smart fight. I promised to destroy him and knock him out. And I did that, but I still don't know if I get any respect."

15. Philly161

Philly161 "Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" banned Full Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Lopez vs Lomachenko