What are the most important ways you differentiate Hagler from Monzon?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Monogamous STD, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Monogamous STD

Monogamous STD Ya know, Quasimoto predicted all this. Full Member

Mar 21, 2012
    When you rate them, how do you best separate them, p4p or at middleweight?

2. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Their final fight might separate them for me. Monzon just sneaks ahead by beating his main rival to finish while Hagler by comparison had quite a disappointing loss.

H2H Monzon might sneak ahead for me via being more sure of himself and less akin to err on the strategic side.

It's extremely close on both accounts however.

3. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Monzon was tall. Latin. Jet setting playboy.

Hagler was short. Black. Constantly whining. . Liked hanging out in gay vacation areas.

4. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Hagler was a sensitive soul, but I never hear anything that said he was gay.

The difference? Monzon trusted his abilities and fought smart. Hagler's ring IQ wasn't the best, but he was faster and hit harder.

Both guys were durable.

I think Hagler is the better of the two.

5. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Hagler had the better competition and chin

Monzon beat alot of people out of the ring

6. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Great post as always John. Keep up the good work.

red cobra, Jel and JohnThomas1 like this.
  7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Thanks Clinton. You've been a bit quiet for some months?

8. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Ya I sometimes read the comments but only get on board here once in awhile and that is usually to continue to expose a certain pathological liar that continues to do just that. I have kind of fallen out of love with professional sports in general- except for rugby union-as I'm tired of the money and politics (although rugby is getting like that too). However it's always great to read your writings when I'm here, and I hope you and yours are well.

jowcol and red cobra like this.
  9. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Both stupendous fighters.

Can't fault Monzons record.

Prefer Hagler and have a sneaky suspicion he'd beat him h2h.

But I could be wrong too. There's basically nothing differentiating them. Long undefeated records, cleaned out their division in their respective era's, iron chins, huge will and sublime (though differing) skill sets.

Haglers a better human being which may be why I subliminally prefer him but my gut says Hagler trumps Carlos.

viperzero and RockyJim like this.
  10. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Razor thin line between them.
    Monzon, in his pomp, just never looked beatable.
    Hagler, just on occasion, did.

11. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Fair call

Man_Machine likes this.
  12. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    He was not gay. Just trained at gay summer retreats in winter

SHADAPBLAD likes this.
  13. Stonehands89

Stonehands89 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Monzon looked beatable --plodding, slow-handed, gangly legs. But he's also probably the best example of a fighter who's looks were deceiving. I don't like that he was feasting on so many welterweights but he handled great ones. He was a dirty fighter, could hit like hell, and was physically very imposing in there -always closing in on you. He had a little trick where he'd finish his combinations on the left -a left jab, a left hook, and that would disrupt the speed guys trying to counter him --they think he's finished and then WHAM. He also used a vicious right uppercut that would debilitate guys.

Hagler's ring IQ has been demeaned on here for a decade or more (my favorite Australian John Thomas, leading that charge!) but he was difficult to handle -physically very strong despite a 5'8 frame (that "5'9 1/2" is a lie. They used to call him the Toy Bull in the 70s), smooth and unreadable transitions from orthodox to southpaw and back again, heavy hands, and my choice for likely the best chin in boxing history.

Does Hagler handle Monzon? I say yes. Was he greater than Monzon? Leaning no over here in Massaschusetts.

14. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    It's Hagler for me. He was simply more pleasing on the eye than Monzon for me and I believe him to be the better all around fighter. . H2h I pick Hagler, resume wise there isn't a lot between them, but I might hedge towards Monzon. In the end, I believe Hagler to be the better overall technician, so he gets my vote

15. SHADAPBLAD

SHADAPBLAD Viscous Knockouts Full Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Monzon believed highly in balance as well. The left hook also served to set him back in position after a combination.

Bronze Tiger and The Morlocks like this.