What are the most important ways you differentiate Hagler from Monzon?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Monogamous STD, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Monzon was tough mentally, Marvin, as great as he was, not so much.

The Morlocks and louis54 like this.
  2. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Yep. Monzon had that mentality that he couldn't lose in the ring. He was your superior, not your equal. He did what he wanted to in the ring.
    Wheras Hagler always seemed to want to prove something to someone else. Inferiority complex?

Titan1 and The Morlocks like this.
  3. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Didnt see it myself... but I'm sure people thought he was beatable after Briscoe.

4. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Doubtful Monzon would try to pull a "Hearns" and duke it out with Hagler early in the fight. But Monzon had that sneaky right hand that he left as a "calling card" every time he pulled out of an engagement.
    Although Hagler is shorter than Monzon, his southpaw style, and long reach will allow Hagler to hit Monzon.

Monzon
    height 5′ 11½″
    reach 76″

Hagler
    height 5′ 9½″
    reach 75″

Rodrigo Valdes
    height 5′ 9½″
    reach 69

5. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Maybe back when Hagler began fighting in the 70s, being called gay didn’t necessarily mean a homo? Maybe he was just a cheerful, smiley and happy go lucky guy.....

.. Hmm, maybe not that.

The Morlocks likes this.
  6. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    What, Monzon-Briscoe l? An early pre title bout (!!)...Hagler sure musta looked beatable after losing to Willie The Worm and Bobby Watts...and I know you can't be talking about Monzon-Briscoe ll...that was a trouncing for Monzon..a very redeeming win.

jowcol likes this.
  7. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Also: Hagler is alive and happily married.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  8. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Could have been an inferiority complex. The whole thing with Leonard didn't help either.

roughdiamond likes this.
  9. 88Chris05

88Chris05 Active Member Full Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Hagler was the more skilful fighter - at his very best, he could slip in to gears which Monzon didn't quite possess. However, on resume and achievements I rate Monzon higher.

Hagler faced (and beat) better names, generally speaking, in their respective pre-title careers, but once they'd lifted the belt Monzon has some decisive edges: fourteen successful defences of the bona fide title slightly eclipse Hagler's twelve; he went out at the top, on the back of one of his best wins, whereas Hagler went out having blown the Leonard fight with a performance which really highlighted his tendency to make things harder for himself than he needed to, a trait which didn't befall Monzon; and while both men did have some key wins against smaller guys, Hagler doesn't have a genuine, thoroughbred Middleweight champion of Valdez's calibre on his championship record.

At the highest level, Monzon was just that little bit more reliable and consistent than Hagler, which swings it for me. Along with Greb, they make up the Holy Trinity at 160 lb and it would have been fascinating to see how it would have panned out head-to-head.

roughdiamond likes this.