What are your scores for Ali-Bonavena ?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Stevie G, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I found an old diary of mine that had my scores for certain fights the other day. My tally for Muhammad's go against Oscar was 8-5-1 in rounds to The Greatest. How about yours ?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. Stevie G

Jul 17, 2009
    Bonavena was a very rugged opponent for Muhammad's second fight after a three and a half year lay off. He was obviously ring rusty but did very well considering that factor. Both Ali and Joe Frazier,prior to their first monentous clash, named Oscar as their toughest opponent up to that point.

3. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    When Muhammad Ali fought Oscar Ringo Bonavena on Dec 7 1970, it was his second fight since coming back from his 43 month banishment, he did not look like the fighter who stopped Zora Folley on March 22 1967 in 7 rounds. He was slow and lacked footwork and timing. Howard Cosell commented that this fight reminded him of Sept 10 1966 in Frankfurt West Germany, when Ali had trouble with southpaw Karl Mildenberger, who Ali stopped in the 12 th round. I had Ali winning by 1 round, close fight going into round 15 against Ringo.

4. Stevie G

Jul 17, 2009
    Hey....you did indeed have it close ! I found some rounds very tough to score as they were so close in my opinion. I still stand by my tally,though - 8 - 5 - 1 to Muhammad.