What are your thoughts UFC's Dana White into boxing business?

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by sponge, Nov 8, 2017.

1. sponge

sponge Active Member Full Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I'm not a UFC fan by any means, will he make an impact on boxing as a promoter?

Discuss.

2. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    if he can make good fights happen, he's welcome.

I hope he brings the UFC philosophy into boxing, pairing good fighters against eachother instead of "building them up" PBC style.

3. Ilikeboxing

Ilikeboxing Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 8, 2012
    UFC looks like a product I would watch in my teenage years whilst smoking a joint and drinking too much beer, and eating takeway kebabs. That was 20 years ago. Do I want that type of show in a boxing arena, nope. Keep that trash away from this pugilist sport.

4. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    Dana White is a very good business man. He grew a company bought in 1996(?) for a million dollars and 20 years later it sold for 6 billion or so. But he is a promoter through and through. As corrupt as Arum or Oscar and willing to do and say what it takes to make a buck. In boxing he won't have the benefit of the virtual monopoly the UFC has on MMA's talent.

5. cippi

cippi Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 28, 2009
    good for him. if he can have a positive impact on boxing then im all for it.

6. escudo

May 13, 2014
    As somebody who has trained in both, you're really missing out.

KO KIDD likes this.
  7. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Would be great for boxing entertainment but he wont be able to attract top fighters with his UFC pay structure.

What I would like to see is his UFC bonus scheme introduced. This would make great under cards with competitive fights and allow journeyman a chance at a real payday. No more bull**** mismatches a proper leapfrog 1 v 2 ranking system in which the best fight the best. This is what boxing needs.

escudo likes this.
  8. junkhead

junkhead My dogs watch me post Full Member

Mar 26, 2015
    The name of the game in UFC is if you're good you'll get paid good.

In boxing it's more... its about selling you a fight. Like a car salesman, they've got a 1968 Plymouth road runner hemi there that you want with its 425 horsepower V8 engine, schmick red paint job and complimentary hooker (AJ vs Wilder, Canelo vs GGG, Mayweather vs Pacquiao, etc etc) and they're talking to you saying '**** yeah son this'll be the car that'll get you the ladies (or fellas), you're gonna love it, it's gonna be amazing, 0-100 in 12 nanoseconds, exhaust so loud your whole street is gonna know your work schedule'. And you're pumped you want it, and then you're begging for the contract this baby is gonna be yours. But then they say 'oh it's just gonna take a few months til you can get it, trust us it'll be worth the wait trust us just wait, but in the meantime enjoy this 2001 Toyota camery with complimentary AIDS' (Wilder vs Stiverne 2).

So you drive your HIV mobile around for a little while and you're pumped and ready for your hemi, you can't stop discussing it with your friends and on shitty car forums with neckbeard losers who are too passionate about cars. The dealer calls you up and says 'hey she's nearly ready it's a done deal you can swing by and pick her up soon, it's gonna be an amazing car you're gonna love it, 0-100 in 12 nanoseconds'. Then you get another call as your excitement peaks again finally it's good to go. 'Oh hey mate nah it's gonna be another year, we just need to replace a wheel nut and the mechanic says it's gonna be $12 but we only wanna pay $10 cause that's what we think it's worth so we've got to wait a year while the part ships from uzebekistan, but oh my god you're not gonna believe the torque on this baby it's amazing just you wait til it's in your hands, but anyway in the meantime here you can have this 1998 Nissan pulsar with complimentary autism' (Pacquiao v Algerie, Canelo vs Khan, me vs my dogs).

Now it's been 3 years and you're so sick of hearing about this car that you've lost all hype. One day out of the blue you get a quiet text on your phone saying the sale is finally finalised and the car is good to go. Now all your emotions and passion for your beautiful hemi come flooding back and despite telling yourself you don't give a **** anymore you actually do and you've got to accept it.

Anyway you get to the shop, you get the keys the cars all yours, you turn it on and find out that they swapped the V8 engine out for a rotary bicycle engine(may v PAC). You kill yourself that very night.

Anyway that's how I feel being a boxing fan. So I mean change would be cool.

9. dellboi94

dellboi94 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Dana White is a better promoter of fights than anyone in the USA. He has charisma, and I can't see him doing any worse than senile Bob Arum, Fishnets Dela Hoya or Lou "Al's Puppet" DiBella.

10. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Dana runs around like a mad man. He has two shows i know he handles(TUF and Dana White Looking For A Fight) in addition to promoting UFC events and doing regular media appearances.

11. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    If it's good for boxing, why not?
    The UFC did such a good job with branding, marketing and media.
    If they can elevate boxers to greater heights using these tools, then I say it's a great idea.

12. Mr Logic

Mr Logic Member banned Full Member

Aug 24, 2017
    He's able to attract casuals because of this pantomime atmosphere he has created in UFC.
    I'm not particularly a fan of the way he promotes but he will be successful. He Gets the fans involved with all the trash talk at press conferences and weigh ins by letting them ask questions to the fighters or just trash talking them. He makes them feel part of the show.
    Imagine him promoting deontay wilder vs Tyson fury! It would make mcgregor mayweather look like a tea party haha!

13. Ilikeboxing

Dec 8, 2012
    I loath FMJ, but when he was smashing up a load-mouth who thinks his gift of the gab was enough to take over boxing, I was supporting FMJ. I don't want boxing becoming a carnival show, who speaks the loudest gets the title shots kinda deal. That's what the UFC is to me. Speak **** to one another, load them up with whatever drugs they can get away with and let them in a ring like wild dogs. I don't see the appeal of that, unless I was drunk, high and covering my eyes in a kebab.

14. escudo

May 13, 2014
    Conor is something of an anamoly for MMA. The first real trash talking KO artist who took out one of the GOAT featherweights in 8 seconds. Then went up a weight class and destroyed another solid champion looking untouchable doing so. He got pushed by the UFC and as an fight fan it I think that is shameful and disgusting. Not half as disgusting from having a clear #1 and clear number #2 (both of which are world champions somehow) avoiding each other for years. It happened with Floyd and Manny and it will happen with Wilder and Joshua I think.

As far as steroids the use the USADA for all drug testing. They made a comittment to clean up the sport and excluding the Brock fiasco they have stuck to it. If you dislike MMA thats one thing, something I don't understand, but is understandable. But don't go putting nonsense out there about sport you know little about.

BCS8, KO KIDD, junkhead and 1 other person like this.
  15. Ilikeboxing

Dec 8, 2012
    I know both fights with Lesnar vs Hunt and JJ vs DC still went ahead even both were on drugs. USADA are quite clearly a joke and don't protect clean athletes careers. Like do I want Dana, USADA and company promoting lets say an AJ vs Wilder fight. Wilder knocks out AJ in 1 round and than a week later Wilder is caught with drugs in his system. I would prefer what we have now, to be honest with you.

And if you prefer the carnival atmosphere of UFC, I understand, a lot of boxing fans went over to UFC to watch that because its a bit more style over substance. Do I want style over substance in boxing, nope. You can keep that elsewhere.