What Can Canelo Do To Become A Top 20 ATG?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by TipNom, Nov 11, 2021.

1. MarvelousMarvinGolovkin

MarvelousMarvinGolovkin Kownackis belly button lint Full Member

Nov 13, 2020
    Are you dense? Pacman has CLEARLY fought better competition than Canelo has

MadProf, MagicE, DynamicMoves and 4 others like this.
  2. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Shadow thinks Canelo walks on water & is unbeatable lol

Quina74 likes this.
  3. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    What ginger needs is to grow a set , be a man, fight fair.All the ped's abuse, bought judges & unfair commission protection have tarnished his reputation. N o one wants a cheater

MadProf likes this.
  4. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
  5. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    :lol:

ElCyclon likes this.
  6. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    It's comparable in terms of quality opponents, but I wouldn't dispute that Pacquiao has more ATGs on there. Mainly Barrera, Morales, and Marquez. But he fought a washed up drained DLH, that doesn't count for much. Great name on his resume, but that version of DLH was not top competition. Morales was past his prime when Pac lost to him and washed up by the time he beat him the 3rd time.

Canelo and Pac have some common opponents. Then you gotta evaluate the other top fighters they fought and decide which is a better win. Like GGG vs Barrera, Khan vs Thurman, etc. Morales is an ATG, but lets face it Morales was faded when he beat Pacquiao and was washed up by the time Pacquiao beat him in their 3rd fight. Marquez is a tough opponent to judge, because Floyd Mayweather made easy work out of Marquez, but Pacquiao went life and death with him 4 times. And many people believe Marquez won all 4 of those fights. So none of those were convincing wins for Pacquiao. If you're going to hold it against Canelo for having close fights with GGG, Lara, Trout, etc then you have to do the same thing to Pac in his struggles with Marquez, a guy who while an ATG was completely shutout and embarrassed by Mayweather.

So even if you say that Pac fought better competition than Canelo, which I wouldn't dispute but even if that's the case, you still have the 7 more losses, and both Canelo and Pac have had their share of close wins that could have gone the other way.

IsaL likes this.
  7. sasto

sasto Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    Top 20 is tough. That's about the level where it's impossible to reach facing modern opposition where an opponent with 5 really good wins is very rare.

Canelo could beat the Plants of the world until he's 40 and there would be something missing still.

8. recycling

recycling Active Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Morales was still good. The 3rd fight morales was gone but the 2nd one, was still good imo. From what i remember as well, morales was the bigger man as well.

mayweather toyed with Marquez because he was so big. I don’t count that at all. Trust me I rate mayweather, but he was way too big. Pac had close fights but he still won against Marquez who’s an atg himself.

Pac lost close to greats. And didn’t get coddled early in his career

9. Dangerwood84

Dangerwood84 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
  10. Jpreisser

Jpreisser Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Speaking of these close fights, no one seems to bring up the fact that Alvarez had two split decisions and one split draw early in his career. I know two of those opponents believe they won, for whatever that is worth.

The quality of opponents is not all that comparable, either. I know they are two different paths, but Pacquiao became a Lineal Champion in his 25th fight, while Alvarez didn't earn that accolade until his 48th. This means Pacquiao was fighting world class opposition much earlier. Also, by the time Pacquiao was 31, he was a 4-division Lineal Champ (8-class titlist), while Alvarez is currently a 2-division Lineal Champ (4-class titlist). Pacquiao had beaten multiple active pound-for-pound fighters by that time, too--Barrera, Morales, Marquez, Hatton, and Cotto. Alvarez has beaten one, Golovkin.

Alvarez has time to close the gap but it's going to take a lot for him to get there. One comparison you could make is to James Toney, whose championship career stared nearly in the same place as Alvarez's. Toney went from 160 to 201+ and was effective. Would Alvarez currently outrank Toney, let alone Pacquiao?

11. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Canelo won't wind up top 20.

The competition isn't there.

He'd also be magnitudes worse than any of them.

12. anthoto1

anthoto1 Active Member Full Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Nothing. He doesn't have the skills.

13. exocet76

exocet76 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2012
    JMM moved up two weight divisions and Floyd still missed weight. Floyd looked like he was fighting a 10 year old child. Canelo and Floyd do have a few things in common (other than IV and PED use) and that they have good names on there record but when you look at the finer details of where fighters were in there career or if they were moving up in weight or had already been beaten it fools the casual fan but if you follow these things more closely there is smoke and mirrors. For the record Pac's resume is better yes he did do some bs tactics but was generally the smaller man and was not afraid to go in with the lions of the division. Remember Floyd retired waiting for Pac to smoke and break the top fighters in the division before coming back to beat a guy coming up two weight divisions. So Floyd handling JMM is grossly misleading to reality so please log off and have a good think about what you are doing.

Jackstraw, Quina74 and The Real Lance like this.
  14. Moonlight

Moonlight Walking in the moonlight... lonely.. as always.. Full Member

Nov 12, 2021
    If he becomes undisputed at 175 and 160, he will be top 20 atg in my book.

15. JSpizz

JSpizz Jay Spizz. Full Member

Jan 8, 2021
    I donno about weight jumping and cherry picking... also not sure where your getting "fixed fights" from.

The guy is LMW size, surely moving up to bigger weights is in the pro column, not in the con.
    3 of his last 4 fights were against undefeated champions 2 weights classes above his natural WC, in your books who could he fight that WOULDN'T be a cherry pick? Charlo? Andrade?

also he gave Saunders a 22ft ring when asked, even though 20 is more standard.

I get why people dislike Canelo, but you sir.... wanna talk about fanboying.... you got a picture of him in your avatar and cant seem to stay away from threads involving him.... if you hate him so much, just avoid threads about him.:nonono

bandeedo, IsaL and ElCyclon like this.