What can Yarde improve...

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Twentyman, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Come on fella’s. Give him his props for everything he did and the effort on the night to nearly stopping him. I get that and he gets that off me, too.

We have to be real here. Yarde had his moment in a similar way to when Johnson had his moment with Beterbiev. He had his moment but ultimately outclassed.

To go off that 1 minute in round 8 disguises the deficiencies in his Yarde’s fundamentals. If he doesn’t have that one moment, we’re looking at completely 1 sided scorecard with Yarde eventually completely gassing out and collapsing with exhaustion from a jab. I couldn’t give him a singe round apart from the 8th and he lost the first 2 minutes of that round till he landed his punch. This doesn’t prove that Yarde is at world level like i’m seeing from some ‘respected’ quarters on twitter. It proves that he’s got power, guts and character imo.

If he gets honest criticism he will improve. It is possible to praise him and also criticise him. You don’t have to be on one side of the fence or the other.

So for me, the jab, the jab and the jab. He’s throwing lead left hooks instead of the jab. That needs seriously addressing.

He needs a proper coach with proper instructions. Positive quotes mid fight are no use when you’re getting punched in the head.

I heard Tunde’s System9 doesn’t endorse running??? Yarde needs rid of a fair whack of that muscle mass and more cardio.

What do others think. Constructive criticism only.

2. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Jab!!!!

Fitness! Running and fights against durable fighters.

Fights against pressure fighters.

My stream was terrible so not sure how it played out inbetween most rounds but I’m sure after the first round he was just sat there and nothing was said to him? It was just quiet? No advice whatsoever.

So he can improve his team, even if he doesn’t want to get rid of Tunde get someone in there who knows a bit about the sport, a bit like Eubank who got Ronnie Davies in.

moog, Suspect.chin, Accurate and 3 others like this.
  3. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    The difference last night was Tunde's "System9" bullshirt, as some already predicted it would.

Proper training (with a proper trainer) will probably have him in the mix with the top 175's for the coming years, if his on delusion bordering confidence didn't take too much of a hit last night.

boxberry92 likes this.
  4. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Jab, fitness, head movement. I think a better trainer could bring him up a few levels and make him a tough fight for anyone. Badly needs more tough fights as well.

5. lefthook82

lefthook82 Boxing Addict Full Member

May 1, 2009
    Tough fights against people that will pressure him. No more Latvian electricians

Stop that homeless shoulder roll and learn better fundamentals, i.e a proper jab

boxberry92 likes this.
  6. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Footwork too. I think he stayed in the pocket far too long at times.

Aydamn, moog, Twentyman and 1 other person like this.
  7. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    He needs a new trainer is the first thing he has to do if he wants to go forward.
    He's run with tunde now but only a delusional fool or a brainwashed idiot would carry on with the training system that he adhered to last night.
    Yarde head was getting snapped back with kov jab from the early rounds, he didn't have much of a clue how to deal with that jab of kovs.
    First thing he needs is how to deal with jabs. Defend and counter, drop feints in, try and draw that lead. Yarde did jab to the body but he wasn't baiting, he needs to learn how to draw and bait. Get inside the jab of your opponent, duck and step, send the right hand into the body. Make the opp, hesitate on throwing the jab.
    He needs a bigger reportoir on how to defend, his main form of defence us stepping out. That's all well and good but it's negative defence, your out of position.
    There's a lot of skills that are just basic stuff that he needs to work on. A good trainer will do this for him. Booth or Shane would be good.

Twentyman and boxberry92 like this.
  8. Snowy1989

Snowy1989 Active Member Full Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Depends what style he wants to implement. He looked more comfortable on the front foot with hands up walking down Kov. With that head/ lateral movement drastically need improving.

His body shots were ripping at times and definitely slowed Kov down, but as
    Mentioned previously he can’t rely on walking in with a lead left hook. The jab was non existent.

boxberry92 likes this.
  9. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Needs to.improve his footwork for evading shots. He was getting caught all the time at the end of a combo when he should have been well out of harms way.

boxberry92 likes this.
  10. boxberry92

boxberry92 Member Full Member

Jun 22, 2008
    He needs to put Tunde and his system 9 back in the cage and throw away the key.

Last night proved Tunde has taken Yarde as far as he can and he really needs to step aside.

Benn, Lewis and Khan when they lost all changed trainers and went on win world-titles. Yarde should follow suit and employ a team of people and a trainer who have a proven track record of working with world-class talent and producing world-champions.

This is not a slight on Tunde, his time may well come but he needs to serve his own apprenticeship and learn from his own mistakes.. Freddie Roach did not become a great trainer overnight he spent years learning from Eddie Futch.

Taking the Kovalev fight proved to be the correct decision, because last night he was there to be beaten but the preparation , game plan was all wrong and Tunde as Yarde's manager / trainer has to accept responsibility for that.

11. alpo1

alpo1 #TeamShanny Full Member

Dec 10, 2005
    he's made a decent life changing payday now so he needs to get with a proper gym and get experience through good, competitive fights for a year or 2.

going from cab drivers straight to krusher was crazy.

12. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Footwork and more straight shots. I don’t think his fitness was THAT bad. It’s to be expected given his muscular physique. I don’t think he’ll ever improve it much unless he drops some muscle.

Last night he was throwing too many single left hooks and check hooks which had a lot behind them. Never mixed it up early on with jabs and low hooks to the body and he should have done. Also half the time there was no need to throw the single left hooks to the head because he was so out of range. Basically he was sapping his energy for no reason.

Twentyman and im sparticus like this.
  13. Momus

Momus Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Good points so far.

Yarde is huge at the weight. While I don’t know if that is a factor in him gassing, it’s possible that he is boiling down to an unnatural weight.

Light-heavy to cruiser is a big jump these days, and as big as Yarde is he isn’t “small heavyweight” sized like most of the top guys at 200. It may be that he needs to lose some of the muscle mass. The gas tank affects everything; if you’re on empty it affects power, punch resistance, accuracy, reflexes etc.

To compete at world level his team need to address the stamina issue. It may simply be a case of nervous energy on the big stage, but there may well be stuff they can work on to get him 12 round shape.

Boxing fitness is very specific; in the old superstars competitions in the 70s and 80s boxers were generally rubbish. Joe Frazier could barely lift his body weight, never mind do a human flag, but he could punch non-stop for 15 rounds.

DJN16, Twentyman and boxberry92 like this.
  14. boxberry92

boxberry92 Member Full Member

Jun 22, 2008
    This is so true and you have people like Tunde trying to reinvent the wheel.

Yarde right now is in a similar position to Eubank Jr after he lost the Saunders fight and I see his career following a similar path if he sticks with Tunde.

15. Willis Brown

Willis Brown Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    I hadn’t heard about Tunde’s system 9 so googled it ! Fascinating thinking out box stuff ... makes me think of a story someone told me about becoming aJazz musician ( which I don’t really care for) where you learn the rules of music and then proceed to break them! Does come with a word of warning don’t break too many at the same time as it will cease to be music. Yarde has done well to get as far as he has.