What can you tell me about Ajose Olusegun?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by ninebar, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Lee Mc

Lee Mc Boxing Addict banned

Jan 12, 2009
    And in that one statement you have proved that you know nothing about Boxing history.

If you think the Lonsdale belt is not respected outside of these shores then I would recomend to Ajose that he finds someone new to work with. It might not represent how good a fighter is in these days of multiple World Champions (15 Governing bodies if I remember rightly, and your boy has won how many of them? None, you haven't even landed a WBF shot) but even Mike Tsyon tried to have one made for him because he knew the history.

***EDIT***

You also claimed that Ali Nuumbembe was undefeated when he fought Ajose. WRONG. He'd lost to a fighter called Bethuel Ushona around 18 months before.

2. riggers

riggers Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 14, 2008
    If you look at Numbeembe record prior to Ajose he had fought only 1 fighter who was on a winning run. As shown already that guy beat him. Numbeembes record is not that good.

3. Lee Mc

Lee Mc Boxing Addict banned

Jan 12, 2009
    He, Numbeembe, did fight David Barnes who, if my memory serves me right, was undefeated. He probably won as well but got robbed by the judges however his whole reputation comes from that one fight.

4. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    If you are so confident why don't we make it a cool $1,000 dollars as Sterling has lost value and being an international businessman US Dollars are more useful to me.

5. D-MAC

D-MAC Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Well, la di "****ing" dah Mr. Frenchman.

You should know that "big man show-off" **** like that doesn't go down very well here......or anywhere else I would imagine.

6. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    You need to get your facts right and you would have done had you followed the thread. TFFP referred to the African Boxing Union(ABU) title as **** which I rightly slammed him for. He said it means nothing outside Africa. In my comments and excuse my editing it should have read that I would not talk about the Lonsdale belt like that. As the British title it means more in Britain than elsewhere. I would never denigrate the British as it would be to denigrate several fighters I love including personal friends of mine. More importantly every title means something be it the Southern Area title etc

Ajose has won several titles including the Nigerian, Commonwealth, African and WBF Intercontinental title. He can now fight for the British and European titles which we will fight for with pride and wear with honour and dignity.

I profundly apologise to you and anyone who thinks I would denigrate the British title. I would not and never will but I cannot allow TFFP and people like him to denigrate the ABU title a belt worn by all the great African fighters like the Great Dick Tiger, Ike Bazooka Quartey, the legendary Azumah Nelson, Joe Lasisi, Dele Jonathan, Hogan the Kid Bassey etc.

I said Ali Nuumbembee was basically an undefeated fighter. Emphasis on the word basically because the Bethuel Ushona defeat was highly disputed and contentious.

7. TFFP

TFFP The Eskimo

Nov 28, 2007
    I think you need to accept there are a lot more Afrobums than Azumah Nelson's coming out of Africa. When you fight a guy career record 3-2 for a title you know its about as devalued as the British Pound, despite its proud history.

Commonwealth ain't much better. Cleverly has been made to look like Bob Foster defending his commonwealth light heavy belt against Africans.

8. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    Nuumbembee deserved the verdict against Barnes. People thought we were mad to fight Nuumbembee after both Bami and Lynes pulled out. My judgement was that Nuumbembee was a much tougher fight but that doing a number on him would make a statement. I also correctly predicted after Ajose stopped Nuumbembee that Nuumbembee would defeat that strong and game lad from Scotland Kevin Anderson the then undefeated British and Commonwealth champion. To put things into context as you are a bit of a historian Joshua Okine who Anderson defeated on points to win the Commonwealth title knocked oput David Barnes in Manchester when Barnes was an undefeated fighter. I know this because I was at ringside.

I had hoped Ajose would fight and stop David Barnes but realised the fight would never happen as Barnes was in Nuumbembee corner the night Ajose stopped Nuumbembee. Furthermore I don't think an undefeated record is everything. A lot of guys here don't understand the African circuit were fighters are not protected. Okine was thrown in with Ossie Duran in Ghana in either his debut or 2nd fight if I am not mistaken.

I could tell you some stories but you would think I was making it up.

9. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    No big man show-off **** going on here mate purely business. If Riggers wants to lose his maoney then fine I am happy to take it off him. He offered me the bet and I am confident in my investment as I suspect he is in his position.

10. "TKO"

"TKO" Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Olu, I see your point in a lot of ways and I don't think TFFP meant to be disrespectful to the African belt in general. However, when you are assessing the value of a regional title on the world stage, you have to look at the calibre of the fighters eligible to (and who want to) fight for that belt. Hence why the European title is worth more than the British title, which is worth more than the Northern Area title.

With specific regard to the junior welter division, the only fighters I can think of who are eligible for the African belt and are anywhere near the top 20 are Ngoudjo and Ndou (I'm not even sure about the latter as I think he may now be an Australian citizen). Plus, both are fighting at world level and are therefore above fighting for the African title in the same way that, say, Hatton would be above fighting for the European title. In that case, and bearing in mind the standards of the fighters currently available to fight for it at 140, whilst the African title is a prestigious belt, it should not be an automatic passport into the world rankings above more proven fighters.

Plus, can I refer you to your own post #76? With the best will in the world, if you have guys fighting for a belt who are way over the weight limit and have a bogus record, is it really so unreasonable for it not to count for as much as a belt where fighters and weights are very tightly vetted.

No disrespect to you or your continent here, I'm just trying to put a bit of context on things without anyone flying off at the deep end.

11. TFFP

TFFP The Eskimo

Nov 28, 2007
    Thats exactly what I mean. I'm not saying its not worth nothing to Africans themselves, because clearly it does mean a lot, Olu's vigorous defence of it proves that. And it has undoubtedly been the starting point for some greats. I'm just saying the opposition faced to gain this belt does not give it credence on a world level right now. It is definitely not comparable to a British or European belt, not by a long shot.

12. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    [quote="TKO";3732075]Olu, I see your point in a lot of ways and I don't think TFFP meant to be disrespectful to the African belt in general. However, when you are assessing the value of a regional title on the world stage, you have to look at the calibre of the fighters eligible to (and who want to) fight for that belt. Hence why the European title is worth more than the British title, which is worth more than the Northern Area title.

With specific regard to the junior welter division, the only fighters I can think of who are eligible for the African belt and are anywhere near the top 20 are Ngoudjo and Ndou (I'm not even sure about the latter as I think he may now be an Australian citizen). Plus, both are fighting at world level and are therefore above fighting for the African title in the same way that, say, Hatton would be above fighting for the European title. In that case, and bearing in mind the standards of the fighters currently available to fight for it at 140, whilst the African title is a prestigious belt, it should not be an automatic passport into the world rankings above more proven fighters.

Plus, can I refer you to your own post #76? With the best will in the world, if you have guys fighting for a belt who are way over the weight limit and have a bogus record, is it really so unreasonable for it not to count for as much as a belt where fighters and weights are very tightly vetted.

No disrespect to you or your continent here, I'm just trying to put a bit of context on things without anyone flying off at the deep end.[/quote]

Sorry TKO but I disagree TFFP was purposely being disrespectful to the African continent.

I think if you do your research you will discover that Ajose has been more than willing to fight all the guys in the UK however when they saw what happened to Bradley Pryce when Ajose was called up as a last minute substitute the have thought better of it hence the reason fights get cancelled. Afriocan fighters as American fighters cannot fight for the European title hence they go through the ABU, NABF routes.

13. riggers

riggers Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Olu i don't have $1000 to wager with you unfortunately. But i am happy to bet £100 and forgive you your insult to my countries currency. If Ajose wins you the bet i would honour it, now Olu are you up for it ? Steve

14. D-MAC

D-MAC Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 15, 2008
    :nono

An international businessman like Olu wouldn't be seen dead with english currency; its American dollars or nothing my good man.

This content is protected

15. "TKO"

"TKO" Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Maybe... hence my suggestion that he would be better off taking his show to the States. With the greatest of respect to your man, Hatton is completely out of his reach at the mo and if he can't get Witter then there's not much else even fringe world class over here. I can see how he would have trouble attracting name international fighters over here as he does not have the promotional backing that someone like Hatton enjoyed at the same stage of his career. In the U.S, that wouldn't be a problem as there are a number of world level and fringe world level guys out there.