What caused Tyson to bite Holyfields ear?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by AngryBirds, Apr 25, 2023.

1. ThatOne

ThatOne Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 13, 2022
  2. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    It had nothing to do with him not beingable to intimidate Roidyfield, it was frustration due to the headbutts.

3. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Blind rage, zero value system, mental disability and instability additionally impacted by going on and off medications between fights ..

4. Melankomas

Melankomas Prime Jeffries would demolish a grizzly in 2 Full Member

Dec 18, 2022
    Frustration, also because of Holyfield's headbutts

5. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    As has been said - frustration - headbutts etc. Interestingly,Tyson was having a good round when he decided to munch on Evander's ear.

AngryBirds likes this.
  6. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    I have to say, that's the last thing anyone would have ever expected in that moment. A pic of the two of them together as old men, wearing Christmas sweaters, selling legal weed edibles in the shape of ears. The world is hilarious sometimes.

Smoochie, Pugguy and AngryBirds like this.
  7. AngryBirds

AngryBirds Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 3, 2022
    I also forgot to note but Lewis claimed Tyson also bit him during their on stage fight although it seems Tyson purposely was doing it there as opposed to it being a moment of blind rage.

Sounds like he had a case of the munchies.

Smoochie and Pugguy like this.
  8. hobby rider

hobby rider Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2020
    Didn’t he bite him on the leg?

Smoochie and AngryBirds like this.
  9. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    I don't want to read too much into that unfortunate incident. Mike became angry at Evander's rough house tactics, and he lost it. I think it's really that simple.

10. jabber74

jabber74 Active Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Tyson was in a situation where he was fustrated and running out of options. Evander wasn't folding and Mike couldn't get to him. He lost his cool.

Clinton likes this.
  11. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Tyson has "Quit" in him...he's lacking in the "heart" department! He bit the ear hoping to get DQ'd"...simple as that!

12. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    My own theory is that it was all to do with Cus D’Amatos brand amateur psychology gone wrong.

The famous line that “fear becomes your friend” was something Tyson believed in. Fear was always a freind he could count on. No matter how good he was Tyson liked to add a bit of fear to help out. I’ve heard him say things like “a scared fighter can’t perform”.

I believe, and it’s only a theory, that when all else fails, when the chips were down, Tyson needed to go further down the road to summon his old “freind” fear to help him out.

Because all that street talk and swagger just was not working on Holyfield. He had to up the ante.

All the excuses about head butting and needing to retaliate don’t come close enough for me. He had seen all that before. Tyson could take it and dish it out. But he wasn’t intimidating anyone. He could not find an edge.

Tyson needed a guy to be scared enough that he couldn’t perform. He’d tried the elbow, the butting until the ears were the next thing. And once Holyfield reacted Tyson came on. He planned it. Thinking one split second of pain would let Mr Fear get a hold. Tyson woke up and went at Evander excitedly. But he still couldn’t catch him or break through. He lost the moment.

13. AngryBirds

AngryBirds Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 3, 2022
    Yes come to think of it. No wonder Lewis wanted to social distance from Tyson in the actual fight.

14. Anubis

Anubis Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Tyson had certainly gotten frustrated with guys like Bonecrusher before, with that walking tank job non effort Smith subjected the fans and Mike to.

What happened later when Holyfield took on Hasim Rahman? Perhaps that's exactly what Tyson was trying to avoid. Also, Mike didn't like being manhandled much, as those 12 rounds with Bonecrusher had proved.

I just reviewed it. Mike was getting butted (causing his eye to get opened up), taking low blows, clinched and shoved all over the ring. Up until then, Tyson, a very questionable character outside the ring, but a typically clean fighter between the ropes, had his rather short fuse detonate between his ears. When he committed a foul of some kind, it was almost always retaliatory.

He didn't mind losing his first bout to Evander the clean way he did, but this was different. (It probably showed why Mike never took on Foreman. Unlike Morrison, Mike simply couldn't compete while being forced backwards or against the ropes. Nor was he tall enough to reach the steel chin or have an impact on George's body.)

An ugly outcome, but Tyson's way of saying, "Enough is enough!" (Also, as Popeye used to say, "That's all I can stansk! I can't stansk no more!")

15. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I don't think Mike was typically clean as a fighter. I'm not sure but I think he elbowed at least once every fighter he was in the ring with. For starters.

Clinton likes this.