What chance does Dominic Breazeale have to pull the upset?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Mike1978, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    There's over about half a dozen fighters I would make favourite in a fight against Wilder in the divison. Wilder was getting out boxed by average fighters such as Washington and Szpilka until Wilders one punch power saves him.

That being said Breazeale is not very good. AJ dominated every second of every round against Breazeale and was with AJ being very ill during his camp.

It wouldn't surprise me if Breazeale took rounds off Wilder but I think Wilder would stop him in the end.

Perkin Warbeck and JackSilver like this.
  2. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    I think it will come down to how he handles Wilder's power. He's easy to hit but he's pretty durable and tough, AJ tried to blast him out early and he got up and forced Joshua to take a more measured approach. If Wilder really does hit that much harder than Joshua like his supporters suggest then he'll blast Breazeale out as soon as he lands flush.

But if Wilder's power isn't a level above the likes of Joshua, Mansour and Ugonoh and Breazeale can get up and fight back, then Wilder's in for a tough night because to stop Breazeale he'll have to grind him down and he isn't really that type of fighter, he doesn't grind guys down with constant pressure he's more an ambush type hitter, a quick barrage between long periods of being cautious waiting for an opening. In this scenario I could see Breazeale going the distance or lasting until the later rounds.

I'm thinking Breazeale is going to surprise some people and give Wilder some problems like Washington did. But unlike Washington, Breazeale has some power and a good chin and can hang in there when Wilder is unloading his bombs. I'm thinking Wilder by late KO or points in a fight where Breazeale has some success, maybe even rocks Wilder.

3. gerryb

gerryb Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    I know he got blown away by AJ but Wilder doesnt have the punch volume or variety of AJs so i can see Breazeale lasting longer. Cant see him winning tho even though hes got chin and recuperative ability,hes too easy to hit. Was impressed against Ugonoh,he was in real danger of losing but clawed his way back but Wilder hits too hard to make the upset a reality.

4. de Morhalle

de Morhalle Member Full Member

Dec 1, 2018
    I agree with a previous statement . It all depends on DB will power . If he knuckles down in training and makes the fight a mess by pushing and bullying Wilder around I can honestly see Wilder getting smothered by DB . DB is like the Battlestar Galatica large , tough , durable and able to get on the front foot . If he can actually seize some initiative and use his reach and bulk to keep Wilder off his plan I can see a DB victory on points .

Wilder's biggest problem is ring knowledge for this fight , he cannot cut off boxers and force them into territories of the ring in order to dominate and with someone like Breazeale you need to .

Wilder the favorite to win by KO obviously and I can understand why , but I do think Breazeale is a much more tougher opponent than what people give credit for and if Wilder comes in thinking its gonna be easy work I think he is in for another shock .

I'm gonna say DRAW .

Perkin Warbeck likes this.
  5. heerko koois

heerko koois Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    6,66 % chance for DB

POTUS likes this.
  6. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

About right, I'd give him Buster Douglas odds, over 42-1

7. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

Can't agree, there's a 35% chance DB gets iced in the first round

8. Special one

Special one Active Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2019
    With such poor basics, balance and footwork I always believe there is a 50/50 chance of Wilder getting injured when he fights. That is probably DB best hope tho!

de Morhalle likes this.
  9. SmackDaBum

SmackDaBum TKO7 banned Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Wilder is not Good at fighting from his back foot. And Breazelae is a come forward fighter...

de Morhalle likes this.
  10. Oreet Cha!

Oreet Cha! I know what I like and I like what I know. Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I can see Wilder on his arse. Breazeale will catch him at some point due to Wilders sloppy defence.

The question is has he got the will to get back up...

11. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Really? Care to name all these 6+ fighters that would start favourites against Wilder?

KO KIDD likes this.
  12. Baneofthegame

Baneofthegame Active Member Full Member

Aug 19, 2017
  13. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    I would heavily favour the top big punchers (which is something Wilder has avoided in his career) in AJ, Povetkin Whyte against Wilder.

Usyk schools Wilder, badly in my opinion.

I also think Pulev just jabs his head off for 12 rounds (Wilder even struggled with Washington's jab)and out boxes him.

Joyce despite having terrible defence would cause Wilder all sorts of problems with his constant pressure, power and work rate.

If Szpilka can take numerous rounds off Wilder and cause him probelms with his movement then Hunter certainly would cause him problems with his pressure, quickness and movement.

I would favour Parker too due to being the better boxer, quicker puncher and having a great chin.

Then you have Tyson Fury who whilst in terrible shape out boxes Wilder throughout their fight. Although i see the rematch as a 50/50 due to Fury being so chinny.

I think Wilder is overrated and has benefited massively due to favourable selective match making. Just like Martin, Stiverne and Arreola did (i mean Wilders second most impressive win is against Duhaupas).

de Morhalle and RacingBeat like this.
  14. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Another 10% vote.

I'd like those chances if he had some head movement and even a moderate defense. Not so predictable and mechanical. Some lateral movement would help instead of him fighting on train tracks.

I think he needs to go in a strictly hands up defense for the first 4 rounds or so. Give away the rounds. Try and walk Wilder down and force him to be throwing more than he should be. Then at some point he has to pounce and finish the guy when a window of opportunity presents itself. So a lose the battles but win the war type fight. Problem is Wilder is the one with the superior conditioning. It would help dominic's chances a bunch if this was a typical hitter that loses his power as the bout goes on. He doesn't. And the Breazeale defense will not get better as the fight goes on.

15. TKO6

TKO6 Boxcar for life Full Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Depends how much he has improved and how WIlder approaches the fight. If Wilder starts swinging I think it will be a short night, Brazeale has a good chin but his defense isnt elite, if Wilder starts slow and lets Brazeale settle I think he has a chance to land something and Wilder can be hurt.
    He's is a live dog but realistically 20/30% chance of a win at best imo.