What changes could Ken Norton have made to fare better against big hitters?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ThatOne, Feb 25, 2022.

1. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Norton hunched and gave up a lot of his height and long reach to drag his foot and fight aggressively. The average fighter in his era was shorter than he was with shorter arms, so I'm surprised he didn't experiment with trying a more technical, fight behind a jab and on the back foot approach once in a while.

With his come forward crab defense style, there wasn't much he could do to improve his chances against the big hitters of the 70's. Maybe the original crab master, Archie Moorer, could have showed him some tricks.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  2. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Of course, Futch had left, my bad - a brain malfunction. Thanks for the rectification.

No question in my mind that Norton won and it wasn’t a lock that Ali necessarily won the 15th - though it was awarded to him by all 3 judges (hopefully I’m right there, LOL).

So IF Ken was conversely awarded the 15th he wins the fight - even though one could still argue he won by a greater margin than reflected by the scorecards.

Not that team Norton should’ve had to have made such a concession - but it was still Ali after all (see controversy re Young which I don’t necessarily agree with myself) and perhaps being aware of the old adage that you’ve got to “take” the title - not a fair concept but a reality of the times.

KOs are always a risk but I think the previous 38 rounds contested proved that it was an even so much more unlikely scenario in the case of Norton v Ali.

There’s also the view, round by round, that the points scored in the latter half of a round might unfairly advantage the fighter in question.

I would say same goes for a whole fight, meaning the latter half work might impress judges more - the advantage of which Ken should’ve enjoyed - but particularly the championship rounds capped by the 15th round - which is where they focus on the so called “taking” of a title in a close fight.

Lest my examination of other aspects cause anyone to forget - IMO, Norton won and clearly so - I’m just exploring psychological features that lent to a deplorable decision - judges are the LAST people to be fooled by later round, final round illusory “catch up” work that isn’t substantive in itself anyway.

But then, Ali was also boxing’s cash cow - ironic - since his ever decreasing quality and conditioning was actually a turn off for true pundits and fans.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
    ETM and RulesMakeItInteresting like this.
  3. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Ken didn't lift weights when he was active. He became a lifter after he retired, and said he wished he had lifted weights.

Pugguy likes this.
  4. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    That’s how I’ve heard it also.

We could muse that Ken might’ve poked his head into a bit of weight training in the latter part of his career - it seemed he added some muscle bulk/weight without losing too much of the “cut” appearance.

Then again, it might’ve been just some extra weight he could handle - Norton did say he used to starve himself early in his career when weighing 205 - 210. I also thought later career, heavier Norton carried a bit more oomph to his punch.

swagdelfadeel and catchwtboxing like this.
  5. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Bill Slayton said otherwise. When Norton was interviewing Bill as a potential trainer he asked Slayton what his stance on weightlifting was. Many old school trainers were against weight training.

Journeyman92 likes this.
  6. catchwtboxing

Jul 4, 2014
    I read it from the man himself.

7. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Archie could have taught him a few things. Definitely could have learned better defense. His aggression was fine but it wasn’t always smart. Beefing up the defense and add some more counter punching. But I haven’t really done a study on Ken just going by some memory.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  8. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Good post.

9. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    You believe he didn't lift weights? He gained weight as his career progressed but not fat. By the late 70s he looked like a bodybuilder.

10. catchwtboxing

Jul 4, 2014
    I see no reason why he would lie.

11. FastLeft

FastLeft Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2022
    Norton could better if did not fight Shavers & Cooney when so old! he is 35 year with Shavers & 37 with Cooney. same age Joe Louis is with Rocky Marciano. this is disaster waiting happen . Cooney is like 25. Shavers almost same age equal to Norton but his power always danger.

with Foreman, Norton if with better foot work makes last 6 rounds but ends the same. Foreman = too good & cut the ring so well

12. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Yeah,Muhammad was on fire that night and he needed to be. Norton was pretty awesome too. One of Ali's best 1970s perfprmances in both skill and toughness.

13. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    This might sound really dubious, but I've actually met men who had such preposterously great genetics they never needed to lift weights. Some of them end up eventually picking them up and going into bodybuilding. Rare but it happens, not sure Ken was like that.

JohnThomas1 and Pugguy like this.
  14. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Norton Took a ton a clean shots from Holmes (Average puncher) and Ali (Better than average)
    wasn't dropped or seriously hurt .(Going off memory) in four fights against them.
    Also stopped the Bobick hype train in it's tracks in a fight he was seen as only a
    stepping stone. Bobick was undefeated with about a 35-0 record only about 2 or 3
    gong the distance. (Going off memory may have had more wins)
    It's a little more complicated than just "No chin".

15. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    He looked pretty vulnerable against Scott Ledoux in the 10th round. Garcia stopped him in eight after bouncing him off the floor all night.

LoadedGlove likes this.