What do we actually think of Connor Benn?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by murphman22, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Got to deal with the threat of Khan by the end of the year on DAZN UK PPV before he steps up again to fight Kell Brook late 2023.

2. Glenn McKrory

Glenn McKrory M&S luxury pudding Full Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Living off his dad's name and deeply unlikeable lad, should be nowhere near a professional boxing ring apart from in the crowd, and would be unheard of were it not for his dad's legacy.

Just like Eubank Jr. Anyone can get fit if they don't have to work for a living and spend all their time in the gym, it doesn't make them good boxers however.

3. ipitythefool

ipitythefool Prediction ? Pain Full Member

Mar 17, 2017
    He's better than Campbell Hatton I guess

4. KingKO

KingKO El Terrible Full Member

Feb 2, 2019
    It's very difficult to tell how good he actually is as he's literally fighting corpses. He has good power but Peynaud showed he can be hurt by low level fighters.

Benn is currently at the stage where you question whether he's good enough to beat the European champ, let alone the top boys.

Terminator and Jurgen like this.
  5. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Clearly better than expected but I'm not sure by how much. He still looks pretty bad to me but has got decent power and they have worked around that with athletism to build a youtube fighter imo. He gets worked by a live body with a good jab and a bit of pop. Sounds simple but I really think it is with Benn.

Jurgen likes this.
  6. Skyver

Skyver Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2015
    He’s entertaining to watch and i thought they were doing a good job with the matchmaking up until they announced van heerden of course.anymore of these kind of match ups and people will start losing interest you would think..I know I will.

Jurgen likes this.
  7. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Don't see why he gets so much hate.

When I first saw him fight I didn't think he would get past 10 fights.

His improved hugely and if his making a career and a good living out of Boxing then fair play to the kid.

Does he become a world champion? I very much doubt it but he won't be the first fighter not to win a world title but still have a decent career.

Wizbit1013, chrisbonnie and Jurgen like this.
  8. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Earn has created the hate by declaring Benn is the next superstar, calling out the names post fight he is coming for next such as Spence Jnr then fights a dead body. Rinse and repeat.

The pre-arranged Khan called to the ring last night was simply disgusting and the DAZN UK PPV mugths are getting poked with this fight within 12 months.

Benn needs to do his talking in the ring against live opponents to gain my respect.

9. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 25, 2015
    The big issue is Hearn making him out to be something he's clearly not and doing it in such a cynical way with the match making we are seeing. All while Benn sits there like a nodding dog as Hearn spews his bs. Which then makes it hard to give him credit where it's actually due, like how he has obviously worked hard and improved since losing to that French lad.

But at the end of the day McKinson, Kongo, Essuman, Avanesyan etc, if Benn really was anything close to what Hearn makes him out to be then fights like these would have happened by now and anyone with even the slightest clue knows it. He's been pro for 6 years now ffs, which is something else people seem to forget.

DramaShow, Astro and Jurgen like this.
  10. davidjay

davidjay Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 23, 2009
    When I first saw him I thought that without the name he'd be area level at best, as it was he might either get to British or more likely have a few fights and drift away. Fair play to him; he's possibly the most improved British boxer over the past twelve months until he's perhaps fringe world level. Yes it's easier to get fit when your old man's rich enough for you not to have to work, but it's even easier not to fight at all.

11. teddybaldock

teddybaldock Active Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2010
    I think he’s having the type of career that after his first ko loss nobody will fear him at all and will end up getting stopped a few times and retire without ever winning a meaningful title, having made a grossly undeserved amount of wealth

kojak and Jurgen like this.
  12. SambaKing1993

SambaKing1993 Don't do it Zachary! Full Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Benn destroys Mckinson, Kongo and Essuman. I'm pretty sure you know this deep down.

Jurgen likes this.
  13. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    That is about the same as Dave Allen wiping out Tyson Fury, Usyk, Joshua and Wilder - we all believe in the Doncaster De La Hoya when wearing a Santa Claus outfit.

14. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Of course he does, just like how he's too big of a superstar to fight Avanesyan for the mere European title.:rolleyes:

15. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    It is the "he is well passed domestic level" stuff.

Then he puts him in with a commentator and Van Hearden.

How far down the UK rankings do we go to find some who loses to CVH?

Michael Mickinson
    Chris Kongo
    Ekow Essuman
    Lewis Crocker
    Harry Scarf
    Chris Jenkins
    Samuel Antwi

Jurgen and Astaxanthin like this.