What do you guys think of weight lifting?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Classic Boxer, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Butch Coolidge

Butch Coolidge Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Check out Istvan Javorek's work

BEATDOWNZ and BoxinScienceUSA like this.
  2. BoxinScienceUSA

BoxinScienceUSA Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2011
    the first page I open up he's talking about people taking credit for his work. I kind of get it. as I read through it I see he has had extraordinary observations and applications very unique. Almost exactly his system uses circuit combinations that i've "made up" before, mostly because they make sense. What is unique to him is the application of it during the different phases of work, with specific focuses. I get where he wants to be credited but people would *******ize his system anyways, very similar to the way Tabatas became popular. people, especially crossfit, had taken elements of Tabatas but didn't really apply it the way the original study did.

I am going to keep reading through his work. its very good. thanks for introducing me to him.

3. Butch Coolidge

Jul 20, 2004

Thanks. I caught a ration of she it a couple of years ago by posting that training complexes are better than power lifting for boxing. Some of the weight lifting experts here don't understand what exactly happens in a boxing contest.

IMO complexes and HIIT are the best kinds of lifting for boxing. I might be crazy but it seems to me that since boxing is an interval of high intensity performance, high intensity interval training might make sense.

Nick Tumminello and Jeff Cavaliere are also worth checking out.

Funny thing about "Tabatas" my elementary school physical education teacher invented them too only she called them "body movers".LOL.

4. Texascyclone

Texascyclone always hustlin' Full Member

Oct 15, 2013
    I reccomend resistance bands and medicine ball plyometric based lifts. dips and pullups too.

5. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    The shoulders should be above the hips in the deadlift as well. For anything to do with picking something up or any grappling sports then I have zero doubt that a deadlift is a better bang for your buck exercise than a squat. The inclusion of the arms and the upper back. A behind the neck press is just about the last exercise you’d want to be doing with an overhead throwing athlete btw.

Funny you mentioned that, I did my masters degree with Bompa’s coauthor of Periodization methodology.
    When analysing a movement you need to look at the kinematics and kinetics at both the joints, and overall. The closer the movement in that regard then theoretically the more transfer to the athletic movement. Unfortunately people misinterpret that as meaning that they should try to replicate athletic movements in the weight room. Even a slight difference makes a complete difference.
    That’s why it is more beneficial to focus on global adaptations and hone in on specifics with the actual sport movements, not modified weighted imitations of sport movements.
    The knees don’t need to bend too much for most sporting movements, hence why heavy quarter squats are actually more beneficial for improving sprint/jump ability in trained athletes compared to full depth squats. Moving through a full range of motion in a squat is more important for athletes needing to gain muscle and beginner athletes.
    In reality it won’t make much difference if you prefer a squat or a deadlift, as long as you lift heavy you’ll see benefits. I’m a strength coach working with a variety of athletes and different coaches, I’ve heard every argument for the superiority of a squat over a deadlift and vice versa. It really is just a matter of preference. From my experience I find that athletes make less mistakes when deadlifting and they can adjust during a lift more easily, even in the most proficient athletes you can find all sorts of faults with a back squat. The deadlift just seems to be an easier movement to pick up and master for most. The literature suggests that the front squat is more beneficial to jumping performance and activates muscles to the same extent as the back squat with a lighter comparative load. Athletes tend to fold up better in the front squat and keep their balance better, they also don’t get that lumbar hyperextension that is common when back squatting. A lot of athletes don’t have the thoracic extension capability to properly back squat, and it can be quite stressful on elbows and shoulders.
    So for mine the front squat is the safer, more efficient exercise choice for most athletes when it comes to the squat pattern.

BoxinScienceUSA likes this.
  6. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    Wouldn’t you be better off working on the energy systems and conditioning of boxing... by actually boxing?
    And leaving strength/power training to actually improving your capacity for strength/power?

7. Butch Coolidge

Jul 20, 2004

I think not. By doing complexes you're going beyond the standard boxing conditioning because you are utilizing resistance and you are developing a type of strength that will last for more than one movement, strength that will last for several movements. Like Mr. Javorek says it will develop strength and improve overall performance.

8. Devon Dog

Devon Dog Member Full Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Weight training can also help to reduce injury in the upper body especially as a result of some of the unnatural movement and forces used in this game . ie twisting to throw a punch or a more developed muscle can take a blow from the force of a punch bag as opposed to tendons or smaller bones absorbing the force

9. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Every movement you make puts a different stress on your cardiac system. Basically, by doing complexes you'll become good at doing complexes. Punching is a completely different matter.

As with most training, there will be carryover, but there are better ways to spend your boxing conditioning efforts, for example actually boxing.

10. BoxinScienceUSA

Apr 22, 2011
    I like everything you're saying. thanks for the conversation. My knowledge is old and basic (I think I have a better understanding than most boxing coaches, but in the big picture I do realize it is still very introductory at best), and I want to hear more of your thoughts.

I agree that most athletic movements are "partial", but isn't there something to investing in challenging (by failure/fatigue) with full range of motion during the off season and prep phases to strengthen the belly of the muscle, and tendons (preparing for the intensity required during specific phases)? or is there a more modern thought that partials/sport specifics are all that's needed, all season long?

isn't there a time and place for everything? can't we use full range, full body movements (like what Butch is talking about) at the beginning of a "season", and as we get closer to preseason we're doing what you're saying with partial plyos (box drops, etc), and in season we're doing majority boxing specific like virus points out? isn't that the whole point of phases, to progress to a "peak"?

dealt_with likes this.
  11. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    All that you’re saying is correct and I agree with. You need to periodise your training, phase potentiation is building upon the previous training blocks to get you to your ‘best’ at a certain competition or point in time.
    Full range exercise should be done most of the time, particularly if muscle hypertrophy is a goal. Those exercises are going to be more tiring on your muscles so they will interfere with other training to an extent, which is why heavier, more partial range of movements are beneficial for peaking strength when your sport is the focus. You can load up and get a more ‘specific’ training adaptation without incurring a significant amount of muscular fatigue.
    Training muscles to failure increases the time to recover exponentially, so that should only really happen if your focus is hypertrophy and you don’t have to practice skills/your sport.

12. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    You’re not training strength, you’re training to be weaker for longer if you’re neglecting max strength and power training in an attempt to replicate the energy demands of your sport in the weight room.
    Training maximum strength increases strength endurance as a side effect, every movement requires less of a relative effort. In your nervous system as well, sometimes the biggest restriction in learning movements is that the person is simply too weak to coordinate their body properly. When you are stronger there is less diffusion in your brain, you are more efficient there and in your muscles.
    That’s why heavy strength training has been shown to be very beneficial even for marathon runners. Not to mention the peripheral gains in increasing tendon strength and muscle stiffness.
    You develop endurance in your sport, because fitness is very specific.

13. BoxinScienceUSA

Apr 22, 2011
    again, giving credit to Bompa, the reason for a Max Strength phase is to get as many motor units firing (I tell my boxers that they want to get everyone to the party), then once you have those party going motor units interested, get them all to work more efficiently during the power conversion phase with plyos and agility exercises.

what are your thoughts on "prehab"? I think its a brilliant concept but cannot find a lot of clear information about it.

14. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    Yeah I think that’s an accurate way to conceptualise and explain it.

I think all training you do is prehab, you don’t need to specifically label something as prehab. Athletes get injured when they stop training for too long then do too much too soon, or if they’re too weak to withstand the forces in their sport. All strength training is prehab, you strengthen muscles and connective tissue and then you’re more physically resilient and versatile. Every sport has certain injuries that are more common so part of every well designed strength training program is placing some emphasis on balancing things out.
    Research shows that the things that predict injury are being relatively weak, and sudden peaks in training load and/or volume. So the best prehab/insurance is to get strong, and train consistently.

15. Grapefruit

Grapefruit Active Member Full Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Weight lifting is good for many sports, boxing isn' one of them, you can lift weights and still be effective in the ring but it won' make you a better fighter, Mike Tyson was in a interview where the interviewer said that Bruno lifts weights like a bodybuilder, Tyson responded with he doesn' lift weights and thinks calistetics work better for fight training, though he lifts weights now he didn' in his prime, Mike did 500 push ups 2,000 sit ups and 500 squats a day, all bodyweight