What do you guys think of weight lifting?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Classic Boxer, Apr 16, 2013.

1. auto boxer

auto boxer New Member Full Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Read a lot of posts and I'll just say what I found that I like.

First let me say, I'm an old man of 60, but I did a lot of weights in my life. The only sparring I do is against my robots and I do 3 rounds a day on them.

I find that just doing the sparring, is that I have less soreness than doing other exercises along with the sparring.

The only weights I do is for the biceps, but I do a lot of core exercises in between rounds.

So, since I love sparring more than anything and I'd rather do it daily without feeling I'm over-doing it, I'll let off on the other stuff instead.

2. pecho26

pecho26 ESB Lurker Full Member

Nov 19, 2010
    What?:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh

3. captain hook

captain hook Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2011
    aaa you are K bros sparring partner.. nice!

4. auto boxer

auto boxer New Member Full Member

Mar 21, 2013
    I know, how do I post honestly and yet not sound like a complete idiot. As long as I'm honest, then that's important.

Just wanted to make the point though, I cut out upper body exercises on the most part and just let sparring be the exercise. Just physically feel better for it.

5. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Not sure if serious... Biceps? Core exercises between rounds? I think you might hold the title for 'most pointless and poorly thought out training routine in the history of sports'.

6. MrSmall

MrSmall Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2006
    If anyone needs help with this subject, feel free to PM me!

7. highguard

highguard Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 12, 2010

again very good post and most things i agree with you and you know your stuff well

but a few things are a bit off atleast in my mind

1. you mentioned strength to weight ratio and how it seemed that you
    hinted that many bodybuilders are not so strong in this regard.
    which could be true in many cases but not in others
    many bodybuilders are strong for their size(ex,franco colombu)
    or strong period(ex.ronnie coleman) both of whom showed
    displays of strength that would make many top weightlifters and powerlifters
    jealous

2. you mentioned needing to lift heavy and with high intensity,
    hmm ok if the guy is experieced in weight training and his muscles and
    joints are used to it
    but some skinny 138 pound boxer....whose coach told him never to touch weights before......... this is a very good way to get him injured
    i know a light heavyweight pro boxer actually, who never lifted
    and was told to do olympic style weightlifting right away,
    he injuried his back and did not fight for a year......
    yes he never lifted weights before and they told him
    he needed the explosive stuff and skip the bodybuilding bs

3,functional strength....this is always an interesting point
    because i do bjj and some of the guys i know from the gym
    sometimes want to roll with me,just for fun
    and the really werid thing is, some are strongman, or bodybuilders or weightlifters.... and from each group its always been the same....
    some feel strong as hell and others dont really feel all that strong at all,

its werid but true in my experience, i remember being shocked at being able to outmuscle a guy who deadlifts almost 3 times what i can do,
    while his training panther felt like un movable object....

4. everyone looks wants to look good, bodybuilding style stuff will always sneak in

5, you seem to think bodybuiling is low intensity always,
    have read much about high intesity training
    that athur jones,mike menzter and to a less degree dorian yates were into

6. scientific literature.......is an interesting thing on its own because often times the views from scientic literature and the views from the top guys in whatever sport u think of, dont agree

examples, if your doing barbell bench,
    most scientic literature will say, dont bring the barbell all the way down to chest because this is not good for shoulders etc

then u watch most top bodybuilders like kai greene, do bench and explain how to do it, most of them go all the way down....
    as kai greene said to a student, do a real bench, full range of motion
    not some short choppy ****........

so this disagreement who do u listen to partial experts or scientifc literature

boxing example,
    you have some american or russian boxer who has all this circut training and high intesity training which "proven" to improve cardio among other things by scientic literature.
    fight some mexican who spars, alot,runs and does more old school stuff

and many times the scientifically trained fighter gasses way before the
    other guy

8. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Just a few things that to point out.

1. The goal should be to lift heavy. Nobody has said the athlete should be lifting heavy straight away. Getting strong is a long process.

2. You don't just jump straight into doing Olympic lifts. All of the Olympic lifts should be broken down then put together. Front squats, overhead squat, push press etc etc should all be learned separately then put together to form a lift

BBJ is all about leverage, joint manipulation etc. It's not a show of strength, it's knowing how to apply maximum leverage to a joint no matter how strong you are.

Just because a guy can deadlift 3 times as much as you doesn't mean he can escape a kimura with ease.

You're choosing the wrong sport to disprove/prove a strength point.

9. aramini

aramini Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2004
    I agree with this. The increased muscle mass in general of average boxers at the medium weight classes in recent years really does indicate to me that the higher oxygen requirement of that muscle is deleterious to their performance and stems from either modern "nutrition supplements" or specific diet which will prevent the erosion of muscle or perhaps different methods of strength training.

Watch Pryor-Arguello or even a pre-championship Hagler fight at middleweight and note that the work rate and stamina of even B level fighters in the early 80s was far superior to this crop of "modern" training - 15 round demanded less muscle in general - more guys were built like Hopkins at 160 or even 147 (Sugar Ray Leonard, Floyd Mayweather Sr - that lean tall build for the weight with very little muscle but still enough strength). Guys are gassing out a lot now, way more than before. Maybe they are just lazy. there was a time when heavyweights would throw non-stop, like Holmes-Norton. And that was 15 rounds. Was Norton muscular? Sure. But he was doing something right that prevented him from gassing.

10. highguard

highguard Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 12, 2010

you misunderstood me about the bjj
    first off i know about leverage etc i have being doing it for 5 years
    and i dont roll with these guys to prove anything,
    but if u did any kind of wrestling-grappling
    you would know that regardless of your oppents level in the sport
    you can feel if your grappling with a strong guy or not,

i have rolled with boxers who dont have a clue about grappling
    and they felt quite strong as soon as you tied up with them

ps i dont even really put submissions on any of these guys,
    it would be an ******* thing to do, what i do have to prove in grappling
    to a non grappler, but my point stands
    as soon as you tie up with someone u can kind of tell if they are strong
    espically non trained guys because all they have to offer is power and thats all they use when they wrestle.

but your point about weightlifting is correct
    i was just pointed out an exterme case i know off

11. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Bottom Line in all this, is the concept of Touch and Feel. Trust me very few understand it, they just think they do. Its everything, I will leave it at that. :D

12. ribtickler68

ribtickler68 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 27, 2013
    I think you are right. I have seen musclemen in boxing gyms who have no power whatsoever. They don't tend to stay long with their mirror muscles. There are exceptions, like Mike Weaver, of course. He was built like a Greek God AND had a sledgehammer punch. Even he had great technique, though.

13. KillSomething

KillSomething Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Write a ****ING BOOK ALREADY! :twisted:

Jesus. :lol:

14. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    I would rather you thought about it, I had too :D. But I was given some very good leads.

15. KillSomething

KillSomething Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 1, 2009
    IT'S NOT MY FIELD! You go to your church and I'll go to mine, but I want to study your...prophecies. I'm bad at analogies and physics....biomechanics...uhh...that stuff you're talking about :huh