What do you guys think of weight lifting?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Classic Boxer, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Texascyclone

Texascyclone always hustlin' Full Member

Oct 15, 2013
    power cleans are good.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  2. Butch Coolidge

Butch Coolidge Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Weight lifting is versatile. Some athletes use weight lifting to increase strength others for conditioning. The general trend for boxers is the conditioning route. "Power gets knockouts but conditioning wins fights," is what trainers would always tell us.

I've never tried this in real life but maybe somebody still active could test this a couple of times and see if it works. Instead of roadwork do the Spartacus 2.0 workout ( it's all over youtube ). It might be worth a try one rainy day. All you need is a pair of relatively light dumbbells and a timer, an exercise mat might help. It's a high intensity interval training plan so it might be good for high intensity interval competition.

3. Coral Eugene Watts

Coral Eugene Watts New Member Full Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Heavy weights made me more explosive and powerfull, i allways had good punching power, but with heavy weights, i have more force and i´m just stronger, that help me alot, esp because i fight the peek a boo style, squats, deadlifts, rows and some benching is very impotent for me

4. Butch Coolidge

Jul 20, 2004
    I don't know if this guy would make a good boxer ( 6'6" 230lbs ) but his trainer got him in super shape, strength and endurance.

This content is protected

5. Butch Coolidge

Jul 20, 2004

Interesting before and after. Shows what you can do if you have a good program and stick to it. ( same guy just years before )

This content is protected

6. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Strength (in general) won't be increased. So what are the benefits of following a program like this, Butch?

7. Butch Coolidge

Jul 20, 2004

In his commentary Javorek says it increases strength, cardiovascular and overall performance ( Javorek Complex and other exercises ). He explains that the research on it was more or less his master's thesis. TBH, I didn't do these while training; however, if I had it to do all over again I would, either this or HIIT. I do them these days mainly as a time saver but IMO they would work quite well for boxing. Clay McCullough, the young man demonstrating the exercises seems to have benefitted from them greatly. Notice he started out with about a 30lbs( about 14 kg ) load but I have seen video of him using 120lb ( about 57,5kg ) load after years of training.

8. Butch Coolidge

Jul 20, 2004

I'm curious if his only weight training was these complex type workouts. Took him from being a skinny kid to being a lean and powerful basketball player. Too bad guys like him don't get into boxing while their young.

9. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    One way with resistance work, which Ive been doing a number of years, with great results but mainly using heavy bands. While doing Squats, or Bench work, is going very slow 5 secs an inch, works wonders.

10. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Weight lifting can be mixed in with calisthenics at the amateur level. Wouldn't lift weight exclusively instead of calisthenics. That's just my personal opinion based upon how each respective form of conditioning makes me feel.

scrap likes this.
  11. pistal47

pistal47 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    If you just started boxing, focus on technique, balance, and other fundamentals first and get good at those before you start incorporating resistance training.

Getting too bulky and tightly wound decreases range of motion - which in boxing is far more important than bulky muscles.

I always did plyometrics, calisthenics and endurance drills with rope, tires, sledges....... TBH I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer, or specifically agreed upon answer, but everybody is different and everyone needs/responds to different workouts differently. After you get what's important down you should have a decent idea of what YOU need to do to improve YOU as a fighter. Probably not anywhere near the answer you're looking for.

scrap, BEATDOWNZ and PIRA like this.
  12. Adybrrady

Adybrrady Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2015
    I back to annoy you with knowledge! virus,

13. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Bas Rutin said calisthenics are great but after a certain point the workouts needed to be weighted because the reps get too high. I agree 100% with that.

14. BEATDOWNZ

BEATDOWNZ Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Nov 30, 2014
    There's no resistance on calisthenics, so you won't get stronger, just more efficient at doing them.