What do you think of Khan performance last night?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by IronBull, Oct 7, 2007.

1. stake501

stake501 Active Member Full Member

Apr 7, 2007
    impressed...yes

totally convinced.....no

well up for the rollercoaster ride his career might be......most definately

2. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007

Care to elaborate on that IronBull?

I agree Khan has improved but Limond is in a different class to Lawton.

Lawtons credentials suggested he was a step backwards before the fight but having seen it the guy didn't prove himself to be a worthy challenger on the night - I don't know what his gameplan was or if he had one but very poor and disappointing performance from him.

Limond tested Khan, put him down for the first time in his pro career and didn't give up his Title without a fight so could be thoroughly proud of his performance.

Lawton did not give a good account of himself in my view and you could be forgiven for forgetting he was actually headlining a bill on national TV and challenging for a Title - complete letdown and simply no comparison with Limond.

3. rydersonthestorm

rydersonthestorm Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I am pretty sure if kahn had fought the way he did last night against limond he would have beaten him alot easier, against limond he underestimated him and thats why he got caught. Even a feather fisted puncher can put a guy down if they connect at the right time. Also why is lawton worse than limond couldn't it be to do with kahn improving and fighting alot better rather than just aying his opponent is weak.

4. rooq

rooq Rooq's Boxing Promoter Full Member

Jan 16, 2007
    i don't think lawton and limond are comparable but at the same time i wouldn't dismiss lawton so quickly. lawton is a seasoned lightweight campaigner but not as skilled as limond who is inexperienced at this weight. also, at least lawton has had stoppages at lightweight before.

also lawton has challenged for the british lightweight title already and did pretty well up until the fight was stopped.

i think lawton either underperformed last night or was made to look poor by khan.

5. Big Ears

Big Ears Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Limond made Khan fight the way he did , that's why he didn't look so good against Limond . From the first bell Willie moved forward and looked to actually hit Khan with punches..........a concept Lawton seemed to struggle with .

I already pointed out things Limond does better(far better) than Lawton .

Limond has beaten Choi Tsveenpurev , Kevin O'Hara , Gary Reid , Kpakpo Alottey , Marcus Portman , Alberto Lopez aswell as some decent guys on a lower level like Youssouf Djibaba , John Mackey , Frederic Bonifai .

Lawton's best wins are Peter McDonagh , Silence Saheed , Roger Sampson and Stefy Bull .

Limond has been Celtic and EU Super Featherweight champ and Commonwealth Lightweight champ .
    Lawton has been Midlands area Lightweight champ and English Lightweight champ .

They are on two different levels .

6. rydersonthestorm

Sep 27, 2007
    Yes but kahn has obviously improved since the limond fight and is doing what he is meant to, you say that kahn was forced to fight that way by limond but i see it that kahn didn't listen to what he was meant to do and tried to fight with limond instead of boxing him.

7. Claypole

Claypole Boxing Addict banned

Aug 4, 2007
    Yes it was a good performance from Khan, he looked relaxed and seemed to fight like he knew what he was doing. Unfortunately we can't read too much into it due to the quality of opponent.

To claim Lawton is of a similar standard to Limond is a long way from the truth. He didn't sound too confident before the fight, like he was just happy to be part of the occasion. This has been true of all of his opponents apart from Limond. They have all been handpicked to showcase his skills, who cares if he doesn't have hard fights, as long as ITV viewers keep tuning in.

8. rydersonthestorm

Sep 27, 2007
    Do you think he would beat limond more easily now if he boxed the same way?

9. Claypole

Claypole Boxing Addict banned

Aug 4, 2007
    Maybe, but let's not forget Khan was not put under any pressure whatsoever by Lawton. Even when Khan was not punching, Lawton was backing up, and Khan was allowed to concentrate on his own work, rather than react to Lawton. Limond was a different proposition altogether.

10. rydersonthestorm

Sep 27, 2007
    Yes but you say limmond put pressure on kahn, but surely in that extent kahn did the same to lawton, i thought scott tried to fight back a little and then when he was beaten to the punch and not really doing anything it all went downhill from there for him.

11. SevenSamurai

SevenSamurai 3 year ESB vet. Full Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Lawton looked very tight, and fought very scared throughout the fight. If you analyse how he held himself and how he moved in the first round, he FROZE! Lawton was not as bad as that but he let the nerves get to him, it was his big moment and he could not take the pressure.

12. IronBull

IronBull Active Member Full Member

Sep 1, 2005
    There ya go:

[YT]JB07Qx9RcEc[/YT]

:good

13. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    He was technically the most sound I have seen him and it was a far better performance than the one he put up against Limond. He kept the left hand up, worked the body which he neglected in his last fight. He didn't chase his opponent but stayed in the centre of the ring where he is most effective and showed more patience and picked his spots nicely. I even saw the odd counter punch.

But he was facing an opponent who had no chance, desire or belief. Style wise Lawton was perfect for Khan to look good against. Lawton is a tall boxer with no punch who wouldn't put any kind of pressure on khan.

Khan did what he had to do and looked good doing it.

14. AllyT

AllyT Active Member Full Member

Oct 13, 2004
    This content is protected

15. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007

I agree but Khan doesn't.

Since the fight he has been quoted as saying Lawton was a step up for him and is a better fighter than Limond, with all due respect. :admin