What does Canelo do if he loses to GGG ? Rematch GGG? go back to 175 for Bivol? Fight Andrade/David?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by TheEliteMaster100, Jun 28, 2022.

1. TheEliteMaster100

TheEliteMaster100 Member Full Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Does he rematch GGG for the 4th time next May? this could open up for Bivol v Beterbiev next year before Ramadan (March 2023) provided both Bivol and Beterbiev handle their mandatories this year

Does he skip Bivol alongside 175lbs division as a whole and GGG rematch and fights Andrade, Benavidez or Charlo for a 'tune up'. instead ? He campaigns at 168 for the rest of his career

Judges won't allow 40 year old to win a decision, especially after losing a decision to Bivol so GGG better knock him out.

More entertaining match ups if GGG wins (which is unlikely), he ought to retire to frustrate Canelo for the rest of his life provided he defeats him.

2. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Back to the juice.

iii, BCS8 and Wizbit1013 like this.
  3. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Unless he fights a lesser quality alphabet champ there is no reason for Alvarez to go back to 175. He is too small and too stumpy and it is unreasonable to expect him to win against Bivol or Beterbiev. I believe Canelo will win easily but if Golovkin does beat him there is good money to be made for both of them if they fight for a 4th time.

I don't believe he would want to fight Benavidez, Charlo or Andrade unless they hold one of the belts or unless the winner gets Golovkin. Whether it is a title bout, a revenge rematch or chasing some kind of history, Alvarez needs more than just an opponent to motivate him.

4. YCGS

YCGS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 13, 2013
    That is such an interesting question, and I don't know what to answer.
    First off does Canelo have a rematch clause with Golovkin? If not, zero chance GGG gives a rematch and even if there is there is a good chance Golovkin retires so I'd say that rematch is the most unlikely scenario.
    Also I don't know the rules on his rematch with Bivol but surely the time to exercise it would expire before Canelo could have 2 fights since losing to Bivol?
    I'm really interested to see how it goes. I just want the right fighter to get the nod that night. I don't like either Canelo or Golovkin but I respect their talents as fighters. I'm very interested in the fight, but not the fighters.

DaRealJT and sasto like this.
  5. Hanz Cholo

Hanz Cholo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    He would likely rematch him.
    Lots of money in that.

6. m.s.

m.s. Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2010
    That would blow Canelo's mind. That is the farthest thing from Canelo's mind. I think he and Eddie would have to go to counseling.

7. VBOX

VBOX JOURNEYMAN Full Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Interesting situation. Never thought of that up until now. Canelo has more to lose. GGG isn’t expected to win, he’s “old.”

Bustajay and BCS8 like this.
  8. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Ginger needs to retire if , as I dearly hope, GGG knocks his ass out cold, because there is no way they will allow GGG to get a dec win. We all know he could knock him down four or five times ,legitimately posting a shut out. but the Vegas judges would still give Canelo a S/D win. Why not they've been doing it all of his career & they KNOW we KNOW they've done it & not batted an eyelid. Id love to pay to see that fight if it was to be held ANYWHERE but Vegas with no NSAC interference at all

m.s. and iii like this.
  9. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    His only options would be

A. A fourth round of Eurasian heat with GGG who he would never have legitimately bested in three attempts

B. A second round of Eurasian heat with Bivol who paddled his ass without having to break into a sweat

BCS8 and Wizbit1013 like this.
  10. TheShellofKell

TheShellofKell Nakatani Future P4P #1 Full Member

Sep 3, 2021
    Wait until GGG is 43 for a 4th fight.

iii, Oddone, Bustajay and 1 other person like this.
  11. Fourth_Horseman

Fourth_Horseman Member Full Member

May 12, 2022
    All of this hinges on the probability that Canelo will lose. In his last few fights, Big Drama Show showed his age. Unless GGG finds the fountain of youth, he is doomed. GGG will have to KO Canelo to win considering the history of the previous judging. Being the cash cow, Canelo is going to win unless he comes in ill-prepared and that is highly unlikely.

12. Baneofthegame

Baneofthegame Active Member Full Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Don’t think GGG is beating him in this third fight to be fair.

JamesLightsOutToney and Bustajay like this.
  13. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    If it's a KO, which most think he needs to win, not sure Golovkin would do the fourth fight. He might well do a Marquez and good for him if he did. But he also could be overconfident, do the fourth and get robbed again, or even beaten genuinely as he'd be 41+ by then.

But if Golovkin won, that would be funny because Canelo has already said he's doing the Bivol rematch. Does he pull out of that then? I think he would if he got KO'd. He'd need to ''rebuild''. Then maybe that Bivol fight never happens again. He would lose a lot of face.

The best scenario is if he gets stopped by Golovkin and then takes the Bivol rematch and actually gets stopped by Bivol. Hey, we can dream.

Quina74 likes this.
  14. turbotime

turbotime Hall Of Famer Full Member

May 4, 2012
    Retire probably. Getting Ko'd by a 40 year old? Time to hang it up with your millions.

Reinhardt likes this.
  15. MrFoFody

MrFoFody Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2005
    I expect either fighter to hang them up if they were to lose by Ko

Reinhardt likes this.