What Famous Fighters Have You Met?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mexman, Jul 17, 2007.

1. jackiebrown

jackiebrown Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    i've met and shook hands with joe byrd at his gym in flint ..

i've seen chris byrd around flint in the passed ..

went to a uaw parade where andre dirrell was sporting his medal .. it was right after the olympics

off the cuff though... right after the 1996 pacs won the super bowl i went into a video game store to buy some **** ...and no more then 5 mins before i got in there andre rison had been in there .. gave the clerk his autograph and everything! .. poor luck !

2. jackiebrown

jackiebrown Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    my old boss was also the water boy on the beecher highschool football team which all time great ny giants linebacker carl banks played for ..

said he was a real cool guy .. quiet ..also said he was a lil iffy . in terms of sexuality...but not sure if he was gay or just quiet

3. brooklyn1550

brooklyn1550 Roberto Duran Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Tommy Hearns, George Foreman, Marvin Hagler, Ken Norton, Sugar Ray Leonard, Mike McCallum, Milton McCrory, Jimmy Paul, Hilmer Kenty

4. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I'D like to add Harold Johnson to my list.

5. Lex

Lex Member Full Member

Aug 2, 2007
    I remember your dad from the amateur days. I sparred with him once or twice, very casually, when there was nobody else available in the gym. I was only a light welterweight so he took it easy on me. Prolly could've killed me with one shot!

6. Tommy Hearns

Tommy Hearns El Feo Full Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Matt Saad Muhammad; great guy, got his autograph too.

7. Pat_Lowe

Pat_Lowe Active Member Full Member

Feb 26, 2006
    I met Jeff Fenech on Tuesday, shook his hand and got a picture taken with him. Nice guy.

8. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004

...........When's your next fight, Pat?

9. Zakman

Zakman ESB's Chinchecker Full Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Roy Jones. He was very obliging with the autographs, too. I don't care what people say about him being "arrogant," but he was sure nice to me. Met Shane Mosley, too. Now he is a REAL nice guy!!

10. Pat_Lowe

Feb 26, 2006
    I've had 3 fights since my first exhibition, I won 2 I lost my last one on points sadly. Thats actually where I met Jeff Fenech, he was at the club. I got really tired early, I've been slacking off in training, not doing my roadwork etc and I paid for it. The other guy was smaller but I just had nothing to keep him off. He just walked through my punches, and countered me badly. I think I was better then the other guy and I could have won but I blew it. Positive thing though is that I'm motivated now like I haven't been before.

11. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004

.............The sage words of Billy Conn are true; "A third-rater in shape will beat a first-rater out of shape."

12. Pat_Lowe

Feb 26, 2006
    True words. I had to learn the hard way though :D. Oh well I've started training again and hopefully a rematch comes my way.

13. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Dinner with Conteh has met Leonard, Hagler, and Hearns at a dinner for VIP's. Or so he says.

14. Pat_Lowe

Feb 26, 2006
    Didn't you go see a Hagler sparring session Leonard fight and it was there and then that you realised Hagler was shot and going to lose?

15. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Yes and I would love for someone to dispute it since I actually grew up in that city and several friends of mine were from that vicinity where Hagler trained and is one of the quieter and more remote parts of the city.

I could tell he was shot from the sessions and the way he was moving-it didn't seem he had much of a future in boxing but it was around the first day of April I was thinking his time was up.

The other time I saw Marvin was for the Hamsho rematch.