What fights have you watched today?

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by lufcrazy, Jan 28, 2017.

1. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Overeem vs JDS

Overeem gives a career best performance as he out strikes and knocks out Junior in brutal fashion to announce he isn't quite finished just yet.

BEATDOWNZ likes this.
  2. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    And suddenly I'm almost at the present day.

I'm gonna rewatch the numbered cards from 2016 and 2017 hopefully before the end of the year.

ATG rankings as of 2015

1 Georges St Pierre
    2 Anderson Silva
    3 Fedor Emilianenko
    4 Connor McGregor
    5 Demetrious Johnson
    6 Jon Jones
    7 BJ Penn
    8 Dominic Cruz
    9 Jose Aldo
    10 Matt Hughes
    11 Frankie Edgar
    12 Daniel Cormier
    13 Kazushi Sakuraba
    14 Jake Shields
    15 Dan Henderson
    16 Royce Gracie
    17 Mauricio Rua
    18 Rodrigo Nogueira
    19 Wanderlei Silva
    20 Fabricio Werdum
    21 Luke Rockhold
    22 Takanori Gomi
    23 Lyoto Machida
    24 Urijah Faber
    25 T.J. Dillshaw
    26 Yoel Romero
    27 Robbie Lawler
    28 Jacare Souza
    29 Cain Velasquez
    30 Gilbert Melendez
    31 Kid Yamamoto
    32 Rampage Jackson
    33 Mirko Filipovich
    34 Chuck Liddell
    35 Rafael Dos Anjos
    36 Chris Weidman
    37 Randy Couture
    38 Anthony Pettis
    39 Rich Franklin
    40 Johnny Hendricks
    41 Shinya Aoki
    42 Eddie Alvarez
    43 Benson Henderson
    44 Rashad Evans
    45 Gegard Mousasi
    46 Alistair Overeem
    47 Tyrone Woodley
    48 Junior Dos Santos
    49 Frank Shamrock
    50 Tito Ortiz
    51 Renan Barao
    52 Max Holloway
    53 Sean Sherk
    54 Chad Mendes
    55 Demian Maia
    56 Alexandre Nogueira
    57 Stephen Thompson
    58 Miguel Torres
    59 Josh Barnett
    60 Paulo Filho
    61 Vitor Belfort
    62 Stipe Miocic
    63 Joseph Benavidev
    64 Mike Brown
    65 Henry Cejudo

3. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Miocic vs Arlovski.

Arlovski was on a right run of form going into this with a trio of big wins.

Miocic absolutely smashed him to bits to underline his status as the next contender for Werdum.

4. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Lawler vs Condit

What a fight this was. I had them splitting the first two rounds by virtue of the big knockdown each man scored. Round 3 saw Lawler out strike Condit for me but round saw Carlos come back in big fashion as he really put a beating on.

It was all to play for in round 5 and Lawler proved his championship class by walking through fire to land huge shots and ultimately nick the decision.

I mean what to make of Lawler, as a WW in his younger brawling days he was splattered by Nick Diaz, he moved up to MW going 11-7 in a rather unspectacular campaign.

Is he one of the elite WW greats? I think he's undoubtedly behind GSP, Hughes and Sakuraba. I'd maybe argue he's behind Gracie and Shields.

Had his TDD really improved that much from 2009 to 2016? Or would he always be susceptible to the grappler out there? He did beat Brown, Hendricks and Condit though so maybe he was a much improved fighter.

I just picture both Gracie and Shields taking him down and tapping him. But I can be convinced if anyone feels I'm wrong there.

P.S. This is obviously before the Woodley fight.

DONT B SCARED and BEATDOWNZ like this.
  5. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Alvarez vs Pettis

Eddie Alvarez is so under rated for me, I mean he has an absolute great resume with wins over Aoki, Kawajiri and Melendez not to mention Hansen and Chandler.

But here he just about shades the fight against Pettis to announce himself the number 1 contender for RDA and finally a well deserved shot at UFC gold.

6. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Cruz vs Dillashaw

Another razor close fight as we see Cruz return from career ending injuries to dethrone a P4P ranked champion.

But make no mistake, this fight could easily have gone the other way as Dillashaw did his career no harm whatsoever with a world class performance.

BEATDOWNZ likes this.
  7. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Thompson vs Hendricks

Last fight for me tonight.

Thompson proves his ATG credentials with a clinical first round ko of the incredibly durable Big Rig.

The way Lawler takes shots, you wouldn't fancy his chances too much against wonder boy.

BEATDOWNZ likes this.
  8. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Alright fine

Silva vs Bisping.

What to make of this fight eh, Bisping was the better man over 25 minutes, there's no disputing that imo.

The debate is obviously the flying knee. Yes Silva just walked away as if he was Mark Hunt, and yes Bisping was in no state to continue, but he was not in any danger as Silva was walking away from him with only 4 seconds left. Had Silva dived in like Henderson it probably would have been stopped, but he didn't. And I can't say I'm too bothered. Stupid showmanship should be punished every time it happens. Here it was.

Bisping finally gets that marquee win and with it an almost guaranteed title shot.

9. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    McGregor vs Diaz

Connor starts off brilliantly here lighting up the career LW with flashy combination as he cuts him to shreds.

The 2nd begins in much the same fashion with Connor taking the initiative and tagging Nate almost at will, but then Nate turns it round with some heavy 1-2 shots that land flush, the fight becomes a bit of a brawl as Diaz begins landing the more accurate punches, eventually McGregor is clinched against the cage and Diaz starts unloading on him, McGregor goes for a lazy takedown, gets caught in a guillotine, he escapes but only into full mount as Diaz lays on the g&p as Connor turns to avoid punishment Diaz locks in an RNC and forces the tap.

Great fight.

BEATDOWNZ and DONT B SCARED like this.
  10. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Maia vs Condit

Maia has been on great form since his drop to WW notching up 8 big victories and suffering only two razor close losses.

Maia is a world class grappler, he's probably the best indication of how someone Gracie could compete in today's division.

Controversial I know but I do still feel Gracie is the best grappler we've had in the UFC, but Maia and Jacare are amazing as well.

Anyways Condit was last seen pushing Lawler all the way but Maia absolutely dominated him. He took him down early, gained positional dominance and secured a choke hold.

Great performance by Maia.

BEATDOWNZ likes this.
  11. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Hunt vs Mir

Mir is a faded force by now. Then again Hunt is no spring chicken neither. They exchange jabs for a minute or so then Hunt unleashed a bomb on Mir and did his patented walk away, much more successfully than Silva earlier anyways.

BEATDOWNZ likes this.
  12. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Johnson vs Cejudo

Johnson dominates again against the best out there as he cuts through Henry within the first round.

13. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Overeem vs Arlovski

Overeem at this point is well established as a glass cannon now. Probably the most gifted striker in HW history but his chin cannot survive a firefight.

Against Silva and Browne he was winning the fight before getting clipped, against Rothwell he was just battered.

He fought very tentatively early on and Arlovski began very strong trying to put the fear into Reem. Alistair covered up well, defended the shots, countered and moved and did enough to win the round.

The second saw Alistair fight with a bit more intent and he ultimately caught Arlovski with a heavy shot and forced the stoppage.

But this is Overeem. Good enough to beat anyone out there, but fragile enough to be beaten by anyone out there.

Glass cannon.

14. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Jacare vs Belfort

Belfort was beaten by Weidman but he came back by again destroying Henderson.

Jacare is on an incredible run of form, he arguably beat Rockhold and Romero, he avenged his loss to Mousasi and he destroyed Belfort here tonight. He came out with a point to prove and he did prove it.

He deserves a title shot without doubt.

BEATDOWNZ likes this.
  15. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Last two fights of the night.

Cruz vs Faber 3

Cruz dominates here and keeps his place as the top BW on the planet, well aside from Dillashaw maybe.

Bisping vs Rockhold 2

Bisping catches lightning in a bottle. A perennial contender who's known for fighting everyone and taking decisions with his busy style, but here he throws the left hook of a life time knocking out an ATG champion with very little notice.

Bisping has never thrown a punch like it before and this should be a great night, but instead it's the start of the dark way championship reign in UFC history.

BEATDOWNZ likes this.