What happened to Ray Leonard?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by surfinghb, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Your wasting your time with Red. He see's only what he chooses. And has some of the most asinine opinions on this site. Anyone who believes China chin Norris is one of the best he's seen obviously has very limited knowledge of boxing. Or conveniently uses Norris' win over a way past prime Leonard to support his Leonard hate. He conveniently refuses to accept the fact Leonard, like 100's of other fighters through history stayed around to long. And esp in Leonard's case the long layoff, and partying than just jumping back in the ring when he got the urge. In Reds Opnion, Leonard's loss to Norris should overshadow everything he did in his prime 10 yrs earlier. If that's the case we should do that with J Louis, R.Robinson,M.Ali,L.Holmes,R.Duran,A.Arguello, A.Pryor, and 100's others of great fighters who were beaten by fighters they would've destroyed in their primes. Red doesn't seem to get that all those fighters I listed were beaten by the only undeafeated fighter in history before they lost to the 2nd rate fighter we saw them actually lose too. That would be Father Time. Time will win against the universe.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Loudon likes this.
  2. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Reds a San Diego boy .. He knows about Lahainas, the Beachcomber, and how cool Pacers was

3. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    IIRC correctly the surgery was in its infancy at the time SRL had it and the thinking was it could repair the retina but it wasn’t sure that it would stand up to boxing again, and it certainly wasn’t advised.

Athletic commissions would not license a fighter who was known to have a torn/detached retina. Seales, I believe, admitted that he hid it from commissions so he could keep fighting and ending up getting both retinas detached.

4. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    That is hard to say. Ray wanted to fight the guys he knew at the end of his career like Duran and Hearns, and a lesser weakened Lalonde. But the guys he knew who were legends Duran 3rd fight Hearns rematch were safe for him. Nunn was a little too big and southpaw.

5. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    He should try it with Mike Tyson and see how long he would last before he is clocked.

6. thanosone

thanosone Love Your Brother Man Full Member

Sep 23, 2007
    The booze and the concha.

7. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    I just feel that RoyJones is so much more accomplished, ducking no one and there was no need to

whereas Leonard nowhere as formidable, needing edges over aged, depleted fighters, retiring, then unretiring

the Lalonde fight was a spectacle and really embarassing, trying to pass it off as a legit title fight, with two titles at stake

what a joke

I knew the fate that awaited Leonard when he signed to fight norris. I was thinking "young guy with a lot of speed, a lot of movement. his management failed to protect him this time. NOW HE'S GOING TO GET IT!"

8. redrooster

Jan 29, 2005
    He just wouldnt be able to beat any of THEM!

9. redrooster

Jan 29, 2005
    I actually think the opposite

a talented fighter with few limitations, but an even BETTER commentator. He was superb at the mike

but no, he was not a POS. If you listen to his commentary durning the Cooney- Norton fight you can clearly hear him say he felt the ref took too long to step in between Cooney and Nortons unprotected head

I also think his managment had a lot to do with his cherry picking later on. they just felt he wasnt good enough or durable enough to meet up with the more demanding fighters

10. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    in his prime he would if he were the same weight.

11. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    There are 3-5 great boxers that need to be in the Texas Hall of Fame...that I am doing my best to accomplish.

12. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    Roy ducked everyone. As a matter of fact he was accused of not fighting the best like Eubank,Benn, etc Talk about changing the facts now . Roy handpicked a lot of his fights which was the going theme, and he never was in a real give and take fight really. Only later in his career. I do think the Lalonde fight was a joke for 2 titles, but Roy picking Ruiz to fight to win a title was a joke also.

surfinghb likes this.
  13. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    But, bear in mind that this surgery wasn't terribly common 30 years ago. Up until then, having a detatched retina meant the death of your career.

14. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    I like all those guys . Nunn,Norris and Jones. Saying when they were prime could they beat Ray? Sure 1991 Norris. Nunn 1990 probably, Jones 1994? But could those guys beat the level Ray did. But a Duran and a Hearns and a Hagler and Benitez near them prime and how would they do? I don't think those guys would beat them all. I don't think Norris would. Nunn would not. Jones would have the closest chance, but he never wanted that sort of challenge.

15. BUDW

BUDW Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 23, 2007