What Happened With Gamboa?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by KeedCubano, Jul 9, 2021.

1. deyell

deyell MOLECULE FROM HELL. Full Member

Aug 10, 2015
    signing with 50 cent = room-temperature IQ

Bustajay likes this.
  2. Bustajay

Bustajay Feel the Steel/Balls Deep Full Member

Dec 9, 2012
    G unit
    Should stick with music and acting

CST80 likes this.
  3. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Tell you what, this is not a lie, when I first read "50 Cent signs Gamboa" I thought "I didn't know Gamboa could rap".

:lol:

CST80, Bustajay and George Crowcroft like this.
  4. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    :clap:

George Crowcroft likes this.
  5. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Gamboa was a good and exciting fighter who just couldn't live up to the hype that many adorned him with.

6. dangerousity

dangerousity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2005
    But chinny and fragile with poor defense. But of a Khan issue IMO with more talent and skills.

7. Zhuge Liang

Zhuge Liang Active Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2018
    He has the potential to be featherweight hall-of-famer, but he just doesn't have the mind and discipline to work on his career. Seems nobody giving him right advice either.

8. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Agrred! If he fought a more defensive style like Rigo, he could have been great. God bless him for liking to mix it up.

The Real Lance likes this.
  9. Curtis Lowe

Curtis Lowe Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 19, 2006
    I remember promoters were positioning Gamboa for a super fight with Juan Manuel Lopez . In trying to build the hype for the fight the promoters pushed the date back, in the mean Lopez gets KO'ed by Salido twice, killing the fight/payday and Lopez's career. With Lopez gone there was no big name/big fight/big payday for Gamboa, which I think took something out of Gamboa.

10. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    That wiuld have been a scrap. Lopez lost to Salido if I'm not mistaken.

Pimp C likes this.
  11. Forza

Forza Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 18, 2012
    I don't think he was that chinny, he was taking bombs to the jaw from tank. He has a tendency to drop his hands during brutal exchanges as like macho type thing and he gets clipped. As cuban fighters go, he was fun as hell to watch.

12. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    He’s really one of the more biggest disappointments who had so much talent and potential but instead wasted his career, much like Joan Guzman. Fact is that he never improved on his flaws, defense was always poor, over aggression and recklessness has put him down far too often, chin was never that strong, and he never had good ring IQ to help him when his speed diminished. Signing with 50 Cent was the worst career decision he made that led to his downfall.

Makes me sad to see him this washed up. At his best he was so exciting to watch, he was like RJJ mixed with Mike Tysons ferocity. I remember when he had so much hype around him. Had he fixed his technical deficiencies and signed with a better promoter he could have been so much more.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  13. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot El gran campeón Mexicano Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    The hurricane had become a tropical storm

14. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    I will never forgive the fact that we had to miss out on Gamboa vs Juanma Lopez. :ohno

15. 941Jeremy

941Jeremy Active Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2012
    He was a great talent. He suffered from poor promotion more than anything. I remember when Arum was trying to force him to move up 2 weight classes to fight Bam Bam Rios when there were good fights to be made in his own division. Then a year or 2 later he was forced up 2 divisions and fed to Crawford. He was skilled enough to have a decent reign in his division and would have fared well against Mikey, Lopez, Donaire, Uchiyama, John, Fortuna, Roman or whoever else that was around his weight class at the time. It's a shame that he didn't build up a better resume