What if? Duran/Arguello

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by TBooze, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Duran was not the counterpuncher and master boxer at lightweight, he had gained that experience by the time he was a super welterweight and middleweight, he was a pressure fighter and devastating puncher at lightweight

2. Bujia

Bujia Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Being aggressive doesn’t prevent you from being a master boxer or a counter puncher. Duran already had all that in the bag by the time he was fighting at significantly higher weights in the 80s.

However, he didn’t have anything like the youthful energy, size, or power relative to his opponents anymore. Those traits supplemented his exceptional skills at Lightweight. At the higher weights, he had to adjust his style to work without them.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He didn't have any amateur fights I don't think, so I firmly believe he learned all the slickness and boxing on the job, from when he fought leonard onwards, when he was a lightweight he took more punches on the gloves instead of avoiding and countering

4. Bujia

Bujia Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    He had a brief amateur career (15-30 fights) but he turned professional before his 17th birthday, so I’d agree that he learned most of his craft in the pro ring.

Thing is, he had over a decade’s worth of experience mastering that craft by the time he vacated the Lightweight title in ‘79. The last 7 years of which were spent training under Ray Arcel and Freddie Brown, one of the greatest teams in history to have in your gym and corner. I think nearly 70 fights, including 13 world title bouts, under that tutelage for that timespan more than made up for his minimal amateur pedigree.

That’s how he became a master boxer. Everything he showed at the higher weights was already there to fall back on. He’d been showing these skills for years. If they seemed more pronounced in his later career it’s only because he had to tailor his new style and pace to suit those skills specifically. He no longer had the physical capabilities to go along with them. Only the fundamentals.

He had no such restrictions as a Lightweight. That’s why he was so dominant there. Not just because he was mean, aggressive, and powerful. Because he had the skills to go with.

George Crowcroft and Devon like this.
  5. Fuzzykat

Fuzzykat Member Full Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Loved Arguello, but he would have had a real uphill battle against Duran. Duran by late KO probably. I thought Arguello was at his very best at 130. I remember being so frustrated that Sammy Serrano held the 130 pound title for years and fought all sorts of fringe contenders that the WBA would find for him. Meanwhile, Arguello was not only beating but stopping Bazooka Limon, Bobby Chacon, Rolando Navarette, Boza Edwards (non title fight). Even Ruben Castillo was arguably as good as or better than Serrano's opponents.

Going back to his prospects against Duran: I think Arguello would have a hard time getting set against Duran who would be constantly shifting in and out. Duran kind of had a reputation as a puncher, but he was really a fine aggressive boxer with good speed at 135. I think Arguello would need space, and Duran wouldn't give it to him.

6. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Your right in a sense. In Duran's early days as champion his speed, power and aggression was overwhelming for just about anyone at lightweight. As he title reign continued by the mid 70s he became more polished, patient and utilized his boxing skills, defense etc.
    Duran put it all together as Lightweight Champion. By 1976 he was the total package as a fighter. The old timers who had seen Ross, Canzoneri, Williams, Jack and those other greats put Duran near then very top of all time great boxers they had seen. Even then in his mid 20s.
    In 1978 Duran put on a boxing clinic in his last defense against Esteban DeJesus in Las Vegas. Countering, slipping, spinning his opponent, it was all there.
    He just relied on that finesse more at the higher weights.