What if George Foreman beat Muhammed Ali during the rumble in the jungle?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Jul 9, 2019.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    What if George Foreman beat Muhammed Ali during the rumble in the jungle? How would George Foreman’s career turn out?

2. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    He would have had a softie defense and then the Frazier rematch. Nobody was buying a Norton rematch with Foreman back then. And depending on the manner Ali lost the Zaire fight, there may or may not have been an Ali rematch. So now we are into late 1976 or perhaps 1977 if there is a softie fight in between the rematches.

3. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    If he beat Ali the only other hwt that could beat him was Jimmy Young.

4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Sorry Mark but George was so far off winning i can't entertain it. What if Ken Norton beat Foreman?

5. JamesFosterGB

JamesFosterGB New Member Full Member

May 10, 2019
    There would have been a Shaver match up in there. And then 78 or 79 we would have seen Holmes. There would not have been a comeback. He probably may have still become a preacher after he retired. There would have been no grill.
    Life worked out a lot better for him than Muhammed Ali.

lloydturnip likes this.
  6. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    A confident G.Foreman Probably has quite a few title defenses and goes undefeated until L.Holmes . Holmes could sneak by over confident and under prepared version of G.Foreman and win the championship.

7. HOUDINI

Aug 18, 2012
    Certainly a bit later on in the 70’s Holmes could have done the job. Young however would have probably gotten his title shot first.

8. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I think 1980 Larry would have stopped 1972 George; the right hand was more powerful (if not quite as twisty and accurate) as Ali's and his hand speed was very close. Larry would have outboxed him one hell of a lot easier than Morrison, and that much heavier jab would have had George in fits. Once the overhand right starts getting loaded up from Holmes it's only a matter of time. Holmes by 10 round kayo.

Larry in 1978 wasn't quite into his own style and peak yet, there was still a massive 60's Ali influence. So had George held the title (and somehow missed Young on the way) I think Larry would have decisioned him...but George would have looked worse than Norton after that fight.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  9. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I should mention, John was right in my case...to me Ali was in control of that fight from the beginning. When GF says "Ali had my number" it's true, Ali had already thoroughly figured out Foreman's fighting approach before the actual fight.

Just as Ali may never have off-paper beaten Norton, or Holyfield Bowe, I just don't see a scenario where Foreman beats Ali.

Fergy likes this.
  10. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Try as I might ,I just can't see a scenario where Ali loses to Foreman .Ali s ring IQ was waay above George s ,he calculated Foreman s move s to a T . Unless Ali decided he was bored and walked out there's no way he doesn't beat him !

Jackomano likes this.
  11. ironchamp

ironchamp Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Well for starters he would immediately fought Chuck Wepner who was promised the winner between Ali vs Foreman. But a Frazier rematch, perhaps a fight with Lyle or Shavers would have been in the works. He likely would have ruled until he met Young on an off night or Holmes who would have ended his reign.

12. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Holmes and George were the same age, they would have met after all the top 5 contenders fought George.

13. HOUDINI

Aug 18, 2012
    Ali was just too tough both mentally and physically for Foreman to conquer. Ali was in danger in round one of their fight. From round 2 onward he was basically in control even as he languished along the ropes.

14. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Foreman was better at cutting the ring off than Bowe, Ali commented on his ability to cut him off, Bowe showed none of that ability v a lesser version of Ali in Hide, Bowe was far too easy to hit to fight someone with Ali`s hand speed, he`d get countered all night with ease.

15. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    He also showed a great chin at times also in that bout.