What if Hugo Corro had retained his 160 lb title against Vito Antuofermo in 1979?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Richard M Murrieta, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    What if Hugo Corro has retained his World Middleweight title against Vito Antuofermo on June 30 1979 in Monte Carlo, Monaco? Would he have faced Alan Minter or Marvelous Marvin Hagler next? He defeated Rodrigo Valdez to win the title on April 22 1978 by unanimous decision, again by points on Nov 11 1978. He also defeated Ronnie Harris on Aug 5 1978 on points to retain.

2. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    All I can say for certain is that my insomnia would have been cured.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  3. Rope-a-Dope

Rope-a-Dope Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 20, 2015
    He'd have fought Minter, because he'd have avoided Hagler as long as he could. Plus, at the time, there'd have been more money in fighting Minter.

4. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    He would of made people for Monzon as he defeated Hag, Min, Leonard, Ravira, then stepped up & defeated EMM.

5. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    I still remember the Corro vs Antuofermo title bout from Monte Carlo, Monaco on June 30 1979. It was shown on ABC's Wide World Of Sports. Marvelous Marvin Hagler was sitting at ringside with Howard Cosell, he kept saying he wanted to fight Hugo Corro next.

Mark Dunham likes this.
  6. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    This, unfortunately is true. I personally liked Corro...I don't know, maybe I'm a masochist, but I loved the 15 rounders with points gatherers like Griffith, Archer, Corro, etc.,...but that was always my cuppa tea back when we had 15 rounders, quality fighters who knew the finer points of the sport...home televised bouts...well, you know the rest.
    Corro was a smart, safety first practitioner of the noble art who didn't try (at all) to please the crowd.....but I admire that, donchaknow...even in the case of a John Ruiz...these guys fought the way they figured they knew how to fight...period...and it usually led to victory. Corro was of the Mendoza School of Boxing (Mendoza Argentina), which was profoundly defensive in nature. Corro was smart, and true to himself.
    All this aside, there was extremely bad blood between Corro and Hagler, who referred to Hugo as a "sissy" (quotation marks are mine)...and I think Marvelous Marv would have been motivated to a fever pitch...and would have stopped Corro in 9...a beating much like Pac vs Barrera in fact. A very one sided, ugly fight.

7. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    Corro was supposed to be the heir apparent to the great Carlos Monzon. but it did not work out that way.

Fergy, Turnip mk3 and red cobra like this.
  8. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    No, it most decidedly did not.

9. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Actually there was another Argentine at the time who had the Pampas all excited about the second coming of Carlos. His name was Alfredo Cabral and he brought the excitement that was lacking in Corro. I can't remember what happened to him. I know he died very young. I think it may have been a car accident but I'm unsure.

10. Rope-a-Dope

Rope-a-Dope Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 20, 2015
    I was very young but I remember watching that one on WWoS. I was too young at the time to understand that Hagler's bitterness and complaints were totally legitimate gripes.

11. Turnip mk3

Turnip mk3 Active Member Full Member

Feb 6, 2021
    Corro is almost a forgotten fighter. Very few fight fans are aware of him. Coming between Monzon and Hagler was probably the reason.

BCS8, Fergy, michael mullen and 2 others like this.
  12. Jelo63

Jelo63 New Member Full Member

Jul 9, 2021
    He fought on the undercard of the Corro-Antuofermo fight, and was very impressive, winning by knockout,I believe that the week after that fight he was killed in the car accident, it was widely reported in the Argentinian media,as he would have been a leading contender to Hagler's title throughout the 1980s.

13. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Oh, my God, you guys! Hugo Corro is like my totz fave fighter! Thank you for reminding me I have to do something on this other thread. Be back l8r.

14. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    I think that if Hugo Corro had retained that night in Monte Carlo, Monaco, defeating challenger Vito Antuofermo, he would have met Marvelous Marvin Hagler Nov 30 1979. The location would have been an issue, most South American fighters preferred venues like Monte Carlo or Paris, the taxes in the U.S. at that time were pretty hefty.

15. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    He would have gotten stripped of the belt for refusing to fight Hagler, which would have probably lead to an interesting scenario in itself.