What if Leon had never fought at HW, but just fought as a big LHW until the cruiserweight division?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by William Walker, Sep 8, 2020.

1. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Could Leon have made it big against Saad Muhammad, Johnson, Yaqui Lopez, Conteh, Galindez, Eddie Mustafa, Qawi, Parlov, Rossman and dominated the division based on being much bigger?

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. JWSoats

JWSoats Active Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Very likely. As a heavyweight, Leon was a perfect example of too much too soon. He won the title from a jaded Ali in only his 8th pro fight and it was no surprise that he lost it in his first defense. In the Ali rematch his corner was mass confusion. Still, he won the first four rounds of the Ali rematch and really had no trouble lasting the 15 round limit. He showed that he had the potential for greater things. Then after the Coetzee and Holmes disasters, they tried to make him the superstar of the cruiserweight division. That did not work as well as expected and his career continued to decline. Had he stayed a light heavy longer, he likely could have learned his craft more completely and developed the seasoning needed to be a better fighter. Even so, I don't believe he ever would have had the dedication and self-discipline of his brother Michael and would not have achieved what Michael did.

3. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    I honestly think aside from maybe being in the wrong division that Leon started a bit late as a boxer and stayed amateur too long.

4. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Hard to say. His addictions/lifestyle affected his career at heavyweight and I believe would cause him the same issues at 175. With what I know about his drinking, I don't think he had a prayer at ever making 175 after the Olympics.

5. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    I'm thinking of Leon sitting on the fence and staying really close to heavyweight minimum.

6. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    There is no way in the world that Leon was going to make 175. He started his career fighting in the mid 190s. No way is he cutting 20-25 pounds and then fighting, especially with same day weigh ins.

7. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    This. Leon’s problem wasn’t weight, since he could compete just fine as a heavyweight when healthy and in shape. Leon’s problem was drugs, women, and being repeatedly arrested.

Here is a piece on the rollercoaster ride the Spinks let life turn into after winning the title.

A month after he had won the title, Spinks was arrested in St. Louis for driving the wrong way on a one-way street without a license. In June of `78, he was arrested in North Carolina for driving without a license and 26 hours later for speeding. In October, he was involved in an accident in his 2-day-old Corvette in Ohio, and a week later he ran it through a fence. In November, he was arrested for driving without his license after an accident in Detroit, and in December his car was found smashed into a tree.

Also that year, he was arrested in St. Louis for marijuana and cocaine possession. Again, instead of feeling sorry for him, people laughed. The street value of the stuff was estimated at $1.50.

Although he now had fame and fortune ($3.75 million for his second fight with Ali), Spinks was still a child, still uncomfortable with people who spoke the English language clearly and dressed neatly. His taste in women and bars was on the tacky side, which led to his being mugged outside a Detroit bar in 1981. He woke up later naked in a nearby motel room, missing $45,000 worth of clothing, jewelry and his solid-gold dental plate. His wife had now ballooned to 275 pounds, and he wanted a divorce.”
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1985-03-31-8501180451-story,amp.html

8. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    age as well; Leon stayed amateur too long and didn't turn professional until age 24, which is too long

Jackomano and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  9. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Don't think it would have worked.

10. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Imagine a light heavyweight Leon Spinks going toe to toe with Matthew Saad Muhammad, that would be brutal.

Titan1 likes this.
  11. Rope-a-Dope

Rope-a-Dope Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 20, 2015
    LHW would be a little too light for Leon's body. CW would have been ideal. Michael's brain in Leon's body would have been the perfect CW.

12. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Saad Muhammad would've stopped him

13. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2018
    There is no way that Spinks could've made 175lbs and still be strong at that weight, after the Ali rematch, he should've not gone on the crack mainly, also he should worked on his defense and worked on picking his attacks, of course he was an aggressive fighter, but you have to draw a line at some point, he was too hyperactive in the ring like Khan, also he should've fought more low level opposition after the Ali rematch, and of course he didn't know there was gonna be a crusierweight division, but as soon as it came about he should've moved down, also he shouldn't've sparred hard in the gym, the reason I assume he did is because he is severely punch drunk now
    Anyway, that is my thoughts on the matter, there was a lot that should've been done, but ultimately his career is how things played out