What if...Rocky Marciano had lost to Jersey Joe Walcott in 1952?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by William Walker, Oct 28, 2020.

1. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    What if instead of Rocky nailing his stamping his signature right hand on JJW and knocking him cold, what if Joe had won a unanimous decision against Rocky, and it's said that Rocky only gave Joe a good fight? What happens then? Does Rocky get a rematch, in which it almost seems certain that he would win the title that time, or does Joe face Ezzard Charles for a fifth time? and who would win that fight? Would JJW fight LaStarza and Moore like Rocky did? and how would they fare against him? Or would Joe face the B level opposition of the 50s that made up much of the 6-man tournament later in the decade? like Baker, Valdes, Jackson, Satterfield, Holman, Richardson, etc.? Could Patterson win the title against Walcott? or is Walcott too experienced, or he is he shot by now? I honestly cannot see Joe lasting into the 60s even by a year. Ik it's a lot of questions I've posed, but I think it's intriguing to entertain and a unique idea as far as I know. I am eager to hear both your fantasy fight predictions as well as the informed on who Walcott likely would have faced next, based on rankings.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Fergy and The Senator like this.
  2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    We'd probably have a much more interesting forum!

TipNom, swagdelfadeel, Fergy and 5 others like this.
  3. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Good one George!

4. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    I think it's really a matter not of who can beat Walcott, since I don't think probably any of those guys can, but how many of them does he have to fight before he's shot?

5. The Senator

The Senator Active Member Full Member

Dec 10, 2017
    An interesting idea, and one I'll have to ponder over a bit, in terms of the possible negotiations and machinations that would lead to the actual matchups. A Marciano rematch would seem to be a natural thing, but supposing that Walcott's team moves away from that, there's a lot of good fights to be made in a lot of ways.

6. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    certainly

7. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    C'mon guys! Quit liking everything and just reply! lol

Saintpat, AwardedSteak863 and ecto55 like this.
  8. Philly161

Philly161 "Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" banned Full Member

Oct 25, 2020
    I mean wolcott was already in the twilight of his career when he won the title. If he managed to stave off rocky that night I think he would have still not had a long reign.

9. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    and now everyone's gonna like this

10. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    agreed, if he had won though, that may have gone down as one of the greatest performances of all time

Richard M Murrieta and Philly161 like this.
  11. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I'm thinking that the public wouldn't buy a fifth fight with Charles. Maybe Moore would get a shot sooner? Personally, Walcott vs Moore is a very interesting fight and I wish it would have happened.

12. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    ya, Walcott vs. Charles V would probably just show how far both had slid, a fight w/ Moore would be the best possible fight Walcott could take; battle of defensive geniuses!

greynotsoold likes this.
  13. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
  14. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    ha. ha.

15. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I can’t see Walcott extending his career into the 1960s either. In fact it’s highly unlikely he even makes it to 1955 given his age. But the rest of the scenarios you proposed are certainly good possibilities