What If Tommy Morrison Had Gotten The Shot Against Moorer??

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Aug 22, 2021.

1. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Vaulin bossed the first four rounds. Tommy looked all at sea. Then he folded Vaulin like a napkin in the 5th. Fun fight

Pat M likes this.
  2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Either Moorer gets flattened in the first 4 rounds or he weathers the early storm and picks Tommy apart for a mid to late round stopage.

Boxingfan2, Stiches Yarn and Fergy like this.
  3. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    I really have to think about this one. Off the top of my head I'm undecided. We're going out, about 40 miles away. I'll think about it while driving, but not hard enough to hit into anything. Hopefully! :rolleyes:

JohnThomas1 and Fergy like this.
  4. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Watch the road man!!!!!

Stiches Yarn likes this.
  5. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    That fight did kinda prove that Tommy had heart. It's all well and good blasting guys out early but when your backs against the ropes and the other guy still punching away, then that's when it shows what their made of.
    And he got up from the Ruddock ft.

BCS8 likes this.
  6. Lenny

Lenny Member Full Member

May 23, 2021
    I remember how tough MM was in the late 80.s and early 1990's. He was one of the most talked about fighters. Loved his guts in the fight with Cooper. My opinion.....too much for Tommy to handle. Better skills but a puncher always has a chance.. MM tko in the middle rounds. Wasnt Tommy really accelerating his drug issues around this time? After the Foreman fight?

7. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Moorer. Big.

Way too accurate with those hands. And Morrison does not have the defense to hang in the rounds while he tries to solve a southpaw. Everything Moorer throws will land on this guy---strong jab. Nasty hooks from both hands and bad news for Tommy--uppercuts from both hands.

A fans fight for certain, but we really never got too many of these barn burner type matches. The loser just falls too far down in the scheme of things. And the added factor of trying to rebuild a guy after a ko loss. Easier to go ahead and fight someone else.

8. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    i disagree. I thought Morrison looked awful on his own, against Lewis. Not sure if his disease was beginning to affect his performances but it was his last fight before testing positive. His energy level was terrible in that fight.

9. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    I would favored Moorer. Morrison struggled with southpaws. But he def had a punchers chance. Moorer was no world beater at heavy. 70-30 Moorer imo

10. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Thinking about this hypothetical match up brought Patterson vs. Johansson to my mind. In a three fight series at that exact time in history, I could see Moorer winning 2 and Morrison 1.

Kamikaze likes this.
  11. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    He was done- he also had aids he was shot and barely scraped by an equally shot Ruddock.

12. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    50/50 bout imo.

Wins who hits the hardest.

13. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
  14. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    That fighting Lewis won't have helped tho.

The Long Count likes this.
  15. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Moorer probably gets knocked down early, climbs off the canvas and starts to find his range. Moorer had a very good righthook. That was his best power punch. His jab would bother Tommy as the bout wore on. Once Morrison starts to slow and gets sloppy I think Moorer stops him.

Pepsi Dioxide likes this.