What if Tyson knocked Lewis out in Memphis?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Guru88, Jul 26, 2022.

1. Guru88

Guru88 Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    If Tyson knocked out Lewis early, one hitter quitter and sailed off into the sunset 3 time HW champion of the world how differently would he be remembered? How high would he be in the list of greatest HWs compared to now

cross_trainer and swagdelfadeel like this.
  2. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Hmm that’s a very good question. Perhaps he could’ve been pushed into the top five.

3. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Does Lewis recapture the title and have a good career thereafter?

This result would suggest that Holyfield just happened to be kryptonite against Tyson. It would also increase Holy's ranking all time, and harm Lewis's. Under those circumstances, Tyson only lost to Douglas and Holyfield in his entire career, and made a comeback where he beat a guy who -- depending on what he does subsequently -- might be ranked around Foreman.

This might put Tyson in Ali/Holmes/Louis territory.

4. Holmes77

Holmes77 Member Full Member

May 28, 2022
    People would be putting Tyson in the top 5 if not the top 3. I still wouldn’t agree with that but I feel that would be the general consensus. And that could have very well have happened. Cause I don’t think Lewis’s chin is all that great. All though he did get better later in his career dealing with it.
    If that did happen- Could Mike have walked away??

5. Jason Gordon

Jason Gordon Active Member Full Member

Sep 26, 2021
    Mike would have still boxed on too long, he needed the money.

populistpugilist likes this.
  6. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
  7. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    It would be a big win on his resume. How far would it have elevated him? Not sure

Fergy likes this.
  8. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Imagine Mike Tyson beating Lennox Lewis, then loses to Danny Williams after how bad does that make Lewis look ?

But to answer your question, I think the loss would badly hurt Lewis. Maybe doesn't even make top 10 anymore ? Or atleast narrowly just in top 10. And Tyson moves up a couple of places maybe at number 5 or just outside.

9. Mike_b

Mike_b Active Member Full Member

Jul 9, 2020
    He went hard for ONE full round, that was his only shot, plus Lennox always does better in rematches as well as he had the eye of the tiger that night, Manny steward, may he rest in peace, said he's lucky Lewis didn't knock him out of the pyramid!