What is Pacquiao's zenith?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by tinman, Jul 27, 2022.

Pacquiaos high point

1. Barrera I

29.7%
  2. Cotto

70.3%
  1. Sooncreate3

Sooncreate3 Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Hi George, question, I do agree that Pacquiao defeating top welters like Cotto, Bradley, and Thurman are one of his finest career achievements but I do want to clarify something you mentioned. You mentioned Pac winning the lineal welterweight title was his career best achievement. My question was which fight exactly did Pacquiao become the lineal welterweight champion? I always get confused when that topic arises as I thought the lineal welterweight crown was vacated once Mayweather retired in 2015 (not counting the exhibition fights with McGregor and other YouTubers).

2. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Yea imo Shane Mosely was the Lineal champion after beating Margarito in 09, not Cotto.

3. Sooncreate3

Apr 23, 2020
    Okay, so for sure Mosley was the lineal champion in like the early 2000s after defeating De La Hoya as they were #1 and #2. Then Mosley got beat by Forrest, who got beat by Mayorga, who then got beat by Cory Spinks, then by Zab Judah, and got beat by Baldomir, who finally got beat by Mayweather. Mayweather end up having a "retirement" for like a year and a half. According to sources like linealboxingchampion.com, there is not a new lineal champion until #1 and #2 faces each other. Around 2009-ish, Margarito was mostly seen as the #1 welterweight after defeating one of the top welterweights in Cotto (cheat or no cheat, still a mystery for Margarito). Mosley was still rebounding from a loss to Cotto so I think it was likely that he wasn't the consensus #2 guy but did became #1 after knocking out Margarito. Also, in 2010, when Mayweather was to face Mosley, Mayweather seemed to be unrated by many boxing organizations due to coming back from a "retirement" while Mosley remains #1. In my opinion, I think Mayweather became the next lineal champion after claiming in 2008 after he defeated Pacquiao (who took back the #2 spot after outboxing Bradley (consensus #2 guy after Mayweather, in which Bradley outpointed top P4P welterweight contender Juan Manuel Marquez)). Is this how you guys trace the lineal welterweight championship since the early 2000s?

4. drenlou

Jan 22, 2015
    Good points. Cotto was considered the number 1 guy in the division once Mayweather had retired but the ring Magazine Title was still considered vacant. Cotto had beaten number 2 or 3 Mosley, paul williams lost to Quintana, which moved up Margarito a few spots while Mosley and Williams dropped back.

When cotto and Margarito fought its concievable that they were the number 1 and number 2 in many peoples eyes. Cotto then lost To Margarito making him the number 1 guy, cotto came back and fought Clottey but that really wasnt for a lineal title. Pac had 1 fight at 147 prior to fighting Cotto.

Imo tho Margarito was still the man of the division when Mosley beat him thus making him the lineal champion in my eyes.just my opinion.

Sooncreate3 likes this.
  5. Sooncreate3

Apr 23, 2020
    Sure thing. Of course there is no 100% right answer and it's not inconceivable to say that Margarito vs Mosley can determine the next champion of the lineage. After, most of the guys that we mentioned already were the top welterweights at the time and it was very good that they were fighting each other, which is healthy for the sport (not like the boxing politics of today).

drenlou likes this.
  6. G Man

G Man Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2011
    There will always be a huge question mark over Pac's career for avoiding Khan.

alangjk likes this.
  7. Sooncreate3

Apr 23, 2020
    Let me ask you this though, what did Amir Khan do at welterweight though to deserve a Pacquiao fight? Khan had most of his successes at 140. In terms of all time great legacy, I don't think missing this fight affects Pac's legacy at all in terms of all time P4P ranking but if this fight happens, it may do very well financially (considering both men were pretty rich boxers) so maybe we might be missing a big cash-out fight.

drenlou likes this.
  8. G Man

G Man Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Nothing, my post was a wind-up. :D

gollumsluvslave and Sooncreate3 like this.
  9. Dannymita

Dannymita Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I'll take Barrera...as good as the cotto fight and win was... Barrera took an absolute hiding that night that noone saw coming..it was a phenomenal performance

tinman likes this.
  10. AdamT

AdamT Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Barrera 1
    Cotto was catchweight and coming off a huge hiding from margarito

Thurman next, because Pac showed he could still mix with the younger guys

drenlou likes this.
  11. AdamT

AdamT Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Well he never looked the same following his departure

Khan also looked much better under Ariza

He must be some strength/condition coach

UniversalPart likes this.
  12. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think it was the third Bradley fight but I'm not sure.

Sooncreate3 likes this.
  13. drenlou

Jan 22, 2015
    He won the lineal FW title against Barrera, that was imo a bigger win than Cotto.

AdamT likes this.
  14. box33

box33 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 25, 2021
    Funny.

Jacques81 likes this.
  15. klion22

klion22 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 4, 2007
    I think peak Pac was against De la Hoya and Hatton.