What is the maximum time a grown man should wait for his first amateur fight ?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by WillieWild, Dec 2, 2019.

1. WillieWild

WillieWild Member banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    What is the longest amount of time an aspiring amateur boxer should be ready for his first amateur boxing match ?

POTUS likes this.
  2. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    As soon as you feel ready to go don't wast time if you want to get somewhere

POTUS and AlwaysFirst like this.
  3. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    I always believe in starting something that requires a lot of skill and years of experience as early as possible.

The more hours you spend on something the better you get at it (all other things being equal)

4. Ted Stickles

Ted Stickles Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2007
    There is so much to learn when it comes to boxing, and it really is hugely beneficial to start young. The fundamentals, positioning, fitness, diet, the feel of sparring, the feel of a real fight, the practice of using the skills your taught, learning to read your opponent, knowing the rules of the sport, countering, defense, offense, etc etc ...., there is so much going on that I hate when people knock fighters and think it’s a tough mans sport. Toughness does help but so do the majority of the things I mentioned and missed. So for me the latest to start as an amateur I’d say would be 17/20

and that would be with a short amateur career before going pro

5. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    That depends on style, weight class, and age. Also on natural ability. They say you should have a gym rounds of hard sparring until 2 months of action. They key is you don't want to put a newbie in there vs a really good amateur for his first amateur fight.

Ph33rknot and latineg like this.
  6. latineg

latineg user of dude wipes Full Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Yes, no perfect answer,

Have people looking out for you to match up a dude of similar skill level.

Have they had some hard sparring and held their own?

Do they still have some obvious weaknesses that need to be worked on. Abandoning the jab? Going too wild? Etc etc etc,

Ph33rknot likes this.
  7. POTUS

POTUS Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Exactly. You just gotta go sometimes. Great pros lost their first AM fights.
    Get some solid sparring in. Get road work in, get your mind right. Mind is very important but at the same time you have to spar a lot Imo. But hopefully you have good ppl around you. You can get hurt if thrown to the wolves, even in sparring.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Ph33rknot likes this.