What is ur HW top 10?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Shaolin-Abbot, May 27, 2010.

1. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I never contended this. Nice attempt at the straw man.

No reports I have ever read contend he was quick of hand or foot, quite the opposite.

Please quote the reports that state he was highly athletic, moreso than say, Willard, who was phenomenally strong.

2. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005

Is Kevin Smith a reliable enough source for you? or do you prefer someone who lived through the era? In fact I'll go further, you find me a source that states Willard is more athletic than Harry Wills.

I didn't realize 37 year old Farmboys coming off 3 year layoffs were considered "athletic". Willard has to be one of the least uncoordinated un-athletic heavyweights of all time.

3. Boilermaker

Boilermaker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 6, 2004
    I recently read an old newspaper article about Willard, talking about how big and athletic he was and how a normal sized fighter would never again hold the world title while the modern skilled superheavyweight (from memory that was the actual term used). It sounded quite familiar and i was amazed at the type of awe that Willard was held at the time. I am not sure how far into the layoff this was though. Sorry, but unless i have previously posted a link on this forum (i may have) i have no idea where such an article could be found, although Google Newspapers or one of the other free archives on line would find it.

4. Pachilles

Pachilles Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 15, 2009
    1) Muhammed Ali
    2) Joe Louis
    3) Lennox Lewis
    4) Rocky Marciano
    5) Larry Holmes
    6) George Foreman
    7) Mike Tyson
    8) Joe Frazier
    9) Sonny Liston
    10) Evander Holyfield

5. PetethePrince

PetethePrince Slick & Redheaded Full Member

May 30, 2009
    One of the best lists I've seen.

6. PetethePrince

May 30, 2009
    A solid modern list. Don't know your criteria, always tough to see only one HW pre 1940, though.

7. itrymariti

itrymariti CaƱas! Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Apart from the placement of Tyson.

8. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Please quote the source. I find your intuition of the term "athletic" severely lacking. What do mean by it? Was he fast? Not according to accounts I have read. Was he as strong as circus strongman Willard? Did he really have more endurance that Willard exhibited going 26 rounds in the Cuban sun?

Don't just name drop. Give me a quote and please let me know how it relates to this amorphous "athletic" label you assigned to Wills.

9. PetethePrince

May 30, 2009
    I'd have Foreman and Frazier higher but you can basically pick apart any list in comparison to your own liking. Where do you rank Tyson by the way?

10. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005
    I consider someone athletic who can excel at more than one sport. They usually have natural talent, reflexes, movement, and advanced Hand Eye coordination, that allows them to compete at a high level in more than one sport. My definition of athletes are Bo Jackson, Jim Thorpe, Deion Sanders, etc you get the point?

Honestly, no offense seamus, but if you think Willard is an "Athlete"..I question if you have ever competed in high level sports in your life. I have. Willard is no athlete. He is a big farm boy with a pitchfork. He is strong. So is any big guy who works on the farms all day. But he lacks skill/natural talent, he is very uncoordinated, he is slow, and he is ponderous. He had no idea how to punch with leverage. I could not picture Willard doing any other sport.

11. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Yeah, like Ali is more athletic than Louis, Wills is more athletic than Willard.

What we got here is a failure to communicate.

Different definitions of athletic is all.

12. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005
    McGrain,

I think it's pretty darn god hilarious Willard was referred to as an "Athlete". LOL He was a farmer with a pitchfork.

13. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    If he had a pitchfork, he maybe lasts 6 with Dempsey.

14. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005
    He would still beat Keene Simmons though. Simmons would swarm all over Willard without throwing punches :lol:

15. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Given the era, i'd rather see him with Bill "Don't Hit Me!" Tate.