What is your favorite Ali fight?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Hi-Tech, Nov 21, 2022.

What is your favorite Ali fight?

1. Ali vs Frazier I,II,III

21 vote(s)
    65.6%
  2. Ali vs Henry Cooper I,II Ali vs Foreman

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. Ali vs Williams

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Ali vs Sonny Liston I,II

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. Ali vs Norton I,II,III

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Ali vs Patterson I,II

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Ali vs Terrell

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  8. Ali vs Jerry Quarry I,II

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  9. Ali vs Mildenburger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Ali vs Spinks I,II

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    As much as I love Thrilla I have to go a the Foreman fight.

Pugguy and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  2. USFBulls727

USFBulls727 Active Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2022
    #1: Ali-Frazier 3. This was an incredible display of stamina and toughness by both guys. The amount of punishment dished out in this fight was unreal, especially considering that both were past their primes, and this was in near 100 degree heat. I have no problem at all with the stoppage, but I always wondered what a 15th round might have looked like in this one. Ali looked beyond exhausted, but I'm guessing he would have summoned the energy to stop Frazier anyway considering what Frazier looked like in the 14th. I think this one still edges out Ali-Frazier 1.

Ali-Foreman would be #3 for me. George was getting the "invincible" label by some, but Ali made him look completely mediocre that night IMO. This one cemented him as "The Greatest", for most of those who view him TBE Heavyweight.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
    Stevie G and Pugguy like this.
  3. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    If you want to to just sit back and see Ali show it all off - the Terrell fight is a good one. Same Ali as Williams but over 15 rounds against an opponent shelled up and looking to survive.

I actually really like Ali’s performance in the first Liston fight - adrenaline driven and Ali boxing more by the book than I’ve ever seen him. No goofing off, he duly respected Liston’s skills and power - and raised his performance 10 fold from the Cooper fight imo.

Liston wasn’t at his best but still no slouch - and Ali really planted on occasion when landing on the bear and shockingly shook up a guy whose chin was proven as granite in recent years.

A great performance in every way.

4. META5

META5 Active Member Full Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Yep,

In Liston I, you see Ali come out with herky jerky headmovement, exaggerated slipping, flying around the ring, throwing check left hooks and elbow blocking and parrying.

When he comes off his toes and boxes off the pivot and jab, completely negates Liston's jab and doesn't allow him to set his feet. Slips inside and outside the jab, just staying out of range for Liston to be effective with headshots, just staying off centre to force Liston to reset his feet. Liston had success to the body but Ali was cleanly 'outboxing' him and showing plenty of fundamental skills that he's often accused of lacking.

5. quintonjacksonfan

quintonjacksonfan Active Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2004

Pugguy and Levook like this.
  6. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    The Holmes fight where he got his ass severely kicked.
    Frazier I where he got knocked down.
    Norton I where he got his jaw broken.

A three way tie.

7. Joeywill

Joeywill Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 2, 2021
    Ali vs Fraizer 3. Thrilla in Manilla

8. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    I know I’m flogging it - but I’ve just started in re-watching Ali v Chuvalo 1 - strangely one of the few Ali fights I’ve yet to download.

Boy Ali dished it to George - punching hard, fast and incessantly. The jab was in great form.

While some might complain of Ali’s tactics in other fights, Ali did not ONCE complain of Chuvalo’s blatant and repeated low blows which, after the fight, Ali admitted were the most hurtful shots.

In a post fight i/v, Cosell asked Ali why he didn’t complain. Muhammad basically replied that there wasn’t time to complain.

George might’ve danced with his wife later that night but he still would’ve looked like he was wearing a Halloween mask.

Joeywill likes this.
  9. Bronze Tiger

Bronze Tiger Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2018
    The rumble in the jungle

10. BoB Box

BoB Box Rollin with the punches Full Member

Jun 13, 2022
    It Wasn't the Jimmy Young fight, that's for sure.

11. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Frazier I is clearly his most entertaining fight

12. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007