what makes Canelo so unpopular and hated?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Heavy_Hitter, Nov 4, 2019.

why is Canelo so hated?

1. Cherry picking old, shot fighters

62 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Controversial wins/robberies

102 vote(s)
    82.3%
  3. Multiple failed PED tests

84 vote(s)
    67.7%
  4. Arrogant personality

48 vote(s)
    38.7%
  5. Bad promotion by DLH

24 vote(s)
    19.4%
  6. other

25 vote(s)
    20.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hanz Cholo

Hanz Cholo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    He is a ginger... typically the most despised type of person the world over.

Heavy_Hitter likes this.
  2. divac

divac VIP Member Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    I already know why a lot of people in this forum hate him, he beat GGG twice but I think more than that is that he's "Mexican."
    Yes, the top name in the game calling the shots is Mexican and a lot of people don't like that.
    That's the position Canelo finds himself in, he can dictate terms on pretty much anything in the sport. When, where, and why he fights particular fighters. That a Mexican can do that, how dare he.
    Maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit, but I think there's a good chunk of truth to it.

Now in Mexico, there's a great deal of people which includes the media that for one reason or anouther don't like and are never satisfied with anything Canelo does. I think a lot of it has to do with Canelo's personality. There's an arrogance to him that rubs a lot of people the wrong way.
    From what I've observed Canelo is a sensitive type of individual that doesn't take criticism very well.
    An example, when Ignacio Beristain and Juan Manuel Marquez commented that it was ridiculous that Canelo be giving a title shot at 154 lbs against Mathew Hatton, an average welterweight who had done nothing as a 154 pounder. Instead of taking it in stride and realized that Beristain and Marquez were just doing what they're paid to do as analyst on a boxing show, Canelo took it as a personal attack on him and publicly challenged Juan Manuel Marquez to a fight.
    Then there are issues with others in Mexico with his style. He's not Julio Cesar Chavez and he's not aggressive enough for their taste as far as fighting in the typical stereotyped Mexican style of going forward and looking to score a knockout.

There isn't one particular factor on why people hate Canelo, but a variety of them that cause people to cloud their minds and not view his performances in a fair way like they would do most fighters.
    With Canelo's even in fights where they think he won, its always, "yeah he won, but he wasn't impressive enough, he didn't close the show, he did this, this, and that."
    With Kovalev he closes the show in emphatic fashion, many even of the opinion he was losing, but the critique is, "Kovalev didn't come to fight."
    I really find that hilarious, there are people in Mexico that would say the fight was to close to call, it could go either way, but Kovalev didn't show up to fight.
    How the hell can someone say Kovalev fought Canelo even up in the fight, but he didn't show up to fight????? LOL!

So is the life of Canelo Alvarez.

NoNeck likes this.
  3. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I think you're on to something there divac.

4. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I had Controversial wins/robberies, Multiple failed PED tests, Arrogant personality and Other.

Other for me means;
    Diva behavior.
    Always at least one ridiculous scorecard in his favor (no coincidence).
    Forcing opponents to fight on own weightclass (155).
    Refusing to fight mandatories.

iii, BCS8 and Dannymita like this.
  5. Dannymita

Dannymita Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Great Post

6. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    I can't speak for the boxing fans who actually are racist, but a lot of people have made several valid points about why they dislike canelo that have nothing whatsoever to do with him being Mexican. If Julio Cesar Chavez, a big name in his era who was on top and called a lot of shots at his peak, if he had even 1/3 of the qualities in the poll Im sure there'd be a lot of people, latino and non Latino, who'd dislike him. Same for Juan Manuel Marquez, Erik Morales, Barrera, etc. This is a lazy response.

Robney likes this.
  7. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Nobody hates him because he is Mexican and calling the shots. Andy Ruiz is also Mexican and calling the shots against AJ, but people like him.

Silver, iii, Robney and 1 other person like this.
  8. Heavy_Hitter

Jul 7, 2018
    Clenbuterol is a PED, which improves stamina and increases muscle mass. Cyclists get 4 year ban for it.
    Also, it can be used as a masking agent.
    Highly illegal stuff.
    All people caught blaim meat contamination, it's standard.

iii, Dannymita and Dario Argento like this.
  9. JacK Rauber

JacK Rauber Try not to offend, try harder not to be offended Full Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I don't think it is hatred of the man, it's just that most people know a con when they see one. It is obvious to objective observers that GGG clearly won their first fight and the best, giving Canelo all of the close rounds, in the second would have been a draw. Most people saw GGG winning both fights. When you see the same judges giving him cards that do not reflect what went on in the ring you start to get angry. I don't think many people would deny Canelo is a tough, talented fighter but they are doing a disservice to boxing and, frankly, to him and his legacy by gifting him these decisions. Unfortunately, Canelo, has gotten pretty full of himself as well. The fact that he declares there is no need to fight GGG again because he has already beaten him twice is a blatant diva statement. Most people like GGG a lot more than they do Canelo because they like the way he handles himself and is a straight shooter. Lastly, Canelo fights guys when they are well past their prime but they are fading name fighters so he can claim he beat fighters that were great IN THEIR PRIME but not when he fights them. It all adds up to fraud in the minds of many if not most real boxing fans.

LANCE99, C.J., Dannymita and 4 others like this.
  10. iii

iii Boxing Addict Full Member

May 3, 2016
    Not at all, your just not as clever as you like to think ... Muppet
    Hahaha

11. LeeD1982

LeeD1982 Active Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2019
    PEDs
    Bad Cards
    Weight Bullying (earlier)
    Cherry picking (latterly)

Silver, Dannymita and iii like this.
  12. LeeD1982

LeeD1982 Active Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2019
    I agree completely.

I know he has a solid chin and is difficult for a plodding come-forward fighter like Golovkin to land flush on; but that's it … after 24 rounds.

13. iii

May 3, 2016
    Yet more piffle... nothing original just purile
    nonsense on mass Most. Boring poster award

14. iii

May 3, 2016
    Coming from you to your alt you need help lol

Dannymita and Heavy_Hitter like this.
  15. Heavy_Hitter