what makes Canelo so unpopular and hated?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Heavy_Hitter, Nov 4, 2019.

why is Canelo so hated?

1. Cherry picking old, shot fighters

62 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Controversial wins/robberies

102 vote(s)
    82.3%
  3. Multiple failed PED tests

84 vote(s)
    67.7%
  4. Arrogant personality

48 vote(s)
    38.7%
  5. Bad promotion by DLH

24 vote(s)
    19.4%
  6. other

25 vote(s)
    20.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Well this is gold. An alt talking to his alt accusing me of having an alt. Lol

2. iii

iii Boxing Addict Full Member

May 3, 2016
    Haha Big Mowt is feeling da heat lol

3. GK BOX

GK BOX Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 23, 2015
    I like Canelo he’s taken on the best
    Mayweather Lara Trout Cotto GGG Jacobs
    The A side advantages are annoying but hey that’s boxing
    Stalling out GGG was a wise decision if he fought him in 2015 would have gotten smashed

4. divac

divac VIP Member Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Chavez was p4p the best during his era, but he was never really the guy in boxing who called the shots like Canelo is now.
    Don King at the time was the man people preferred to direct their hate at and the man and the fighter during Chavez' era who was considered the face of boxing was Mike Tyson.
    So no, Chavez was never in the position to call the shots like "Mexican" Canelo Alvarez is now.

I will add this about Chavez, a lot of people which includes those in the media didn't like him and never gave him the proper credit as he was reigning at the top because he was beating the likes of Meldrick Taylor and drawing with Pernell Whitaker.
    The American media led by HBO had the agenda of establishing Taylor and Whitaker above Chavez, yep, the same agenda HBO had in shoving down our throats that Golovkin was the man and face of boxing until Canelo put a stop to that.
    Had Julio Cesar Chavez fought in the multi-media era of today, he'd be just as hated as Canelo Alvarez in the United States.

You have to understand, the internet and multi-media fuels most of the propping or hate of athletes and celebrities today.

5. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Tells it how it is

6. jmb1356

jmb1356 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Because he’s scum. He got caught with PEDs, which he’s still clearly on and the gift decisions. I mean really, one judge had 114-114 against Mayweather?

He and the crossdresser clearly put off the GGG fight, regardless of how you think each fight played out. Anyone still buying the “he needs time to grow into his body” excuse?

Canelo and Fishnets are everything that’s been wrong with the sport since the end of the Tyson era.

Silver and Heavy_Hitter like this.
  7. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    On this forum he is perhaps uniquely hated, but he is doing quite well in the real world.

But why is he so hated here then?

Failed a doping test? Nah, plenty of fighters have done that without being hated in any way for it. How often do you hear Mosley being called a dirty cheat?

Catch weights and rehydration clauses? Doesn't help, but Pac doesn't get much **** for his catch weights.

Beneficiary of controversial decisions? To a degree, yes. Ali also came out on the right side of every close decision, but isn't that hated for it even though it does get brought up.

Being promoted by ODLH? Don't know, it seems like Oscar started getting hated for this rather than the other way around.

Being the A-side? Doesn't help either.

Beating GGG? Certainly doesn't help.

A combination of the above I'd say.

8. divac

divac VIP Member Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Taking the fight to Golovkin in their second fight I think is proof that your notion that Canelo would have gotten smashed in 2015 isn't true.
    I think history will show that Golovkin's caliber of opposition was weak before the Daniel Jacobs fight which is why he rolled over almost every fighter put in front of him.

9. GK BOX

GK BOX Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 23, 2015
    No. Prime GGG was an unstoppable force. To this date, he is the only one to stop solid rugged guys like Murray and Ishida. Even in the first fight Canelo spent the majority of the fight on the backfoot. Did you not see how he damn near collapsed when the fight was over?

BCS8 likes this.
  10. Stefz

Stefz Member Full Member

Feb 7, 2018
    "bunch of amateur fights".

2 olympic gold medals.
    Regarded by his peers and one of the most talented amateur boxers of all time.

I never stated Canelo was privileged at the start of his career, He is now.
    Loma earnt his hype going into the Pro's, you don't have a 99.8% win ratio out of just under 400 Amateur fights and the following titles, without having a lot of skill to back it up.
    2 Gold medals @ World championship
    2 Gold medals @ Olympics
    1 Gold medal @ Junior World Championship
    1 Gold Medal @ European Championship

And if you say "Amateurs means nothing in Pro's", Look at Loma's resume now.

LANCE99 likes this.
  11. JacK Rauber

JacK Rauber Try not to offend, try harder not to be offended Full Member

Oct 20, 2013
    But he never did put a stop to that. The corruption just got a lot of ardent boxing fans teed off.

elbonzoseco likes this.
  12. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot etreuM aL Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ruiz ain't calling no shots he delayed just to get a bump in pay

13. wutang

wutang Active Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2012
    I think canelo is a great fighter - no one can deny that. But, I find myself disliking him sometimes because I'm a contrarian. I sometimes find it hard to like any fighter that's hyped, which I admit is unreasonable. Fighter's fans can sometimes be a big contributing factor too.

14. xnico

xnico New Member banned Full Member

Nov 6, 2020
    Where is the ”All of the above” option

BCS8 likes this.
  15. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    "...+ then some"

Poll doesn't even include 'beat up a guy half his size in a tantrum over getting cucked" or 'contributed to a sparring partner's death and then used his influence to effect a widespread media cover-up', FFS.

BCS8 and Wizbit1013 like this.