What next for Whyte?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Fury, Joshua and Wilder tied up. As are Breazeale and Miller. Charr as you can see below has refused a fight, he’s beat Parker, can’t see Hughie taking it. Povetkin? Ortiz or Rivas maybe? Or I like the Kownacki fight too.

This content is protected

2. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Whyte recently mentioned Ortiz and Povetkin.

I would prefer Povetkin as an opponent but either would make really exciting match ups.

moog, Holler and Suspect.chin like this.
  3. Smudge_

Smudge_ Teak tough Full Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Povetkin would be my choice. Ortiz would be good too and is probably the smart one to go for from Whyte's perspective. I think Ortiz's age has finally caught up with him. He looked sloppy against Hammer, Hammer landed a lot more than expected and had his moments. Ortiz is there for the taking I reckon.

I'd be happy enough with Kownacki as well, he's earned his contender status, and it would be an entertaining fight without a doubt.

It's a PPV of course so it better be somebody decent. Thank fck it isn't Charr anyway! Well for now but I won't be surprised if that changes. Perfect opponent from the promoter's perspective. His "world title" means Hearn can justify the PPV by saying it's a fight for the heavyweight championship of the world. Make no mistake, you won't see the word "regular" anywhere on the fight poster. It's also a zero risk fight since Charr is terrible.

moog and Holler like this.
  4. sniffmybadger

sniffmybadger Relationships are not my forte Full Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Povetkin fight is a decent matchup. Wouldn't mind seeing that one

moog likes this.
  5. Snowy1989

Snowy1989 Active Member Full Member

Dec 22, 2015
    I’d have loved it if Whyte accepted Joshua’s “lowball” offer of £5million and got the Wembley fight.

However, he can’t now blame others that he is stuck in a corner and now is indeed, irrelevant.

Povetkin is the logical choice and I’m not sure he comes through that.

mcvey, Holler and Wizbit1013 like this.
  6. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Povetkin wanted a tune up before he agreed to an Usyk fight, so doubt it's that. And Usyk has Takam next.
    Ortiz is viable, but unlikely. Rivas is next most likely I guess.
    I see Hearn mention recently that Povetkin, Ortiz or someone else (forget the name) were likely to be Whyte's next fight. So, whoever the third one is I guess

7. Smudge_

Smudge_ Teak tough Full Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Who else is there that would be credible and available? The top of the division is so thin.

The Parker rematch might even be a possibility. Parker is actively looking for a fight, and in July. The first fight had it's controversy and would've been scored a draw if it wasn't for the headbutt getting scored as a legal knockdown. I wouldn't rule it out anyway.

Twentyman likes this.
  8. kevinreid001

kevinreid001 Punchdrunk101 Full Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Prob end up being charr and like other poster said billed as world title foght to see it Hearn said his next fight is ppv with parker chisora and lebedev vs Okolie as umdercard .imo dont really care parker or chisora both not top level and lebedev is ancient and Okolie not greatest to watch so would hope ether povetkin or Ortiz but cant see it

9. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Whyte taken a huge roll of the dice and gambled on himself
    He may end up so much better off but with the current status of the HW division its looking bleak for him to get the title fight he craves
    It's that bad now he is even considering Charr
    And not the smartest of moves to make him an offer and when it's turned down brand his belt worthless
    Sends the message to fans that why on Earth were you targeting it then?
    We keep hearing Povetkin and Ortiz but nothing seems to materialise

Guys stuck in limbo and if it all fails can only look back and blame himself

mcvey likes this.
  10. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I think that may have been Charr...

11. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Hopefully that leaves us with Povetkin or Ortiz then and I’d definitely take the Kownacki fight too.

12. thornpipe

thornpipe Active Member Full Member

May 11, 2016
    Ranked #1 wbc and still managed to get avoided, ranked #1 wbo but usyk in front of him. wouldn't be surprised if they put fury ahead of him as well when he beats Schwartz
    best fight out there for him imo is Povetkin well known in the UK. Ortiz stunk the place out when he was over here

13. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
  14. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Has to be Pudding Whyte v Pudding Chisora Trilogy Fight on PPV next as both love extracting money from the PPV mugths.

If that cannot happen surely he fights on the undercard of the Logan Paul v KSI rematch as he is a PPV fighter after all.

15. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Maybe it will be Joe Joyce as Hearn will need something to try justifying the ppv and a local derby sells. I would like it to be Pulev, Povetkin or Ortiz