What next for Wlad?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Geoffers, May 1, 2017.

1. Geoffers

Geoffers Active Member Full Member

Feb 2, 2008
    We know that Wlad has his rematch clause, so should he take it?

I don't think a rematch will see a better Wladimir Klitschko than we saw on Saturday - he can't improve on the fantastic condition he was in and I feel he can only decline from there.

On the other hand, Joshua has got lots of room to improve and time is on his side. He will already have learned a whole lot from Saturday - he certainly won't ever blow himself out again after dropping his opponent!

So Joshua will get better - Wlad will inevitably decline a little. I don't think the rematch would be as competitive and I would hate for Wlad to get hammered.

For me, it's time for the Champ to hang 'em up.

2. Ilesey

Ilesey ~ Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
  3. Octolony shore

Octolony shore Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Wlad vill do vhat vitali says.

4. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    He was on the cusp of beating him. Joshua was gone in the 5th. I think Klitschko should give it one last shot because ring rust was a factor in my opinion.

5. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    If he feels he wants to put himself through it, he should absolutely take the rematch. He was seconds away from winning the fight via a fantastic KO or stoppage. The fight was razor thin and neither showed they were better than the other. For Wlad to pull out this type of performance at 41 years of age is incredible.

I would happily pay for a rematch of this calibre.

On The Money likes this.
  6. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I think he will take it, especially on that performance.

He is vastly experienced, and will be kicking himself for not really going for it after the 5th-6th, his experience and instincts let him down, if he does go for the re-match he will believe he can knock AJ out, wouldn't that be a story!

Jesus a possible trilogy...

7. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    He probably should have another fight between the rematch- if possible with Parker for the WBO belt if the money is right. There is little point in him fighting fringe contenders now as his time is limited.

8. MarvellousMerv

MarvellousMerv Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2011
    He should retire, Saturday was as good as a 41+ year old Wlad is going to get.

Picked some good shots and moved pretty well but couldn't jab effectively and most importantly couldn't pull the trigger when it mattered. Excellent career but he's been sub par in his last 3 fights, time to call it a day.

Nice retirement paycheck and FotY candidate to go out on though.

9. AdrianSterling

AdrianSterling Lewisham Boy banned Full Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Retire the old eastern European got exposed by the younger more gifted nubIan man.

10. Aces

Aces Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Retire, he finished on his feet and still has his dignity, his stock has risen after this defeat, second time and same result would hurt his legacy.

mcvey likes this.
  11. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    He needs to employ a new defence if he does face Joshua, I think the cross arm defence is essential when up close.

12. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Call it a day I reckon. He very nearly had that fight but it slipped away; it was a really enjoyable fight and he's come out of it with almost as much credit as if he had actually got the win. No need to risk that

mcvey likes this.
  13. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    He has to take the rematch. If I was him I couldn't live with myself how close I was to ending the next big things rise and becoming a champ again. I'd have to go for it again, make sure injury permitting you get in the as good a shape and hope you can get in a little it sharper with less ring rust than the first fight. Let's not forget he was winning and on the way to getting robbed. He will know this.

Worst case scenario he loses again as expected and gets another 20 mil.

Twentyman likes this.
  14. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I was very surprised with the scorecards up until the 11th.

15. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I agree ,he went out on his shield, I cant see him improving on that performance whereas Joshua almost certainly will .Time to hang them up!