What took so long for Tyson/Holy/Lewis...

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Brixton Bomber, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    To meet in the ring? The trio were around one-another for years upon years!

Fergy likes this.
  2. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    It's just circumstances.

Mike rose to the top before they did.

Mike and Evander were scheduled to fight in 91-92, but then Mike went to prison for 3 years.

Whilst Mike was inside, Lennox lost momentum by losing to McCall.

When Mike was released, the powers that be wanted a Mike-Evander fight rather than a Mike-Lennox fight.

Mike and Evander then fought twice, whilst Lennox struggled with Mercer.

By the time Lennox fought Evander, Mike was finished as a top level fighter.

Lennox got better as he aged.

Personally, I think Mike's prison sentence was the biggest factor.

Twisted_Metal and Brixton Bomber like this.
  3. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Cheers!

But surely Lennox could have fought Evander much earlier? Holy was a huge name after beating Douglas.

4. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Where Holyfield/Lewis is concerned, Holyfield could have accepted Lewis’ challenge, post Holyfield/Bowe II. He went for Moorer instead. He could have done the same, post Holyfield/Tyson II. He went for Moorer II instead.

He explored Tyson III and Moorer III before, talking about his mandatory with Akinwande. And, only when Akinwande was found to have contracted hepatitis, eventually ruling him out, did Lewis get a realistic shot at unification.

Lewis could have fought Tyson much earlier too. But, Tyson was carefully steered away from that bout which, in turn, set up the Lewis/McCall rematch, for the vacated WBC title.

Simply put, Lewis injected sheer dread into the promoter/s of these two fighters - and one, in particular.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  5. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I know, it was annoying back then. I wanted Lewis to fight Bowe as well, and Lewis v Foreman, and Bowe v Foreman. So many good fight never came off.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  6. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    They were at different times and weights. Mike and Evander were near the same era, but Evander was at Cruiser and then Mike lost when they were going to fight. Lennox was a few years after they were,and so was Bowe.. Bowe and Lennox definetly should have fought.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  7. Man_Machine

Jun 9, 2010
    Who am I criticizing?

8. kdyehs

kdyehs Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    I watched the Tyson Lewis fight live I still recall: TysON LewIS is on! It was a good moment although Tyson only had 3 good early rounds.

I agree with Loudon it was circumstances.

9. thanosone

thanosone Love Your Brother Man Full Member

Sep 23, 2007
    I know it isnt but Moorer vs Holy 2 always seemed shady to me. Like a fox was on. I was young at the time so dont kill me.

10. Man_Machine

Jun 9, 2010
    You're usually fond of facts and I'm fairly confident that I have produced facts to answer, at least in part, the query of the OP.

Yes, I provide an opinion on why I think things took so long, but that too is rooted in the facts.

And, if I appear to be criticizing anyone at all, it is Holyfield's and Tyson's management.

11. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Neither Holyfield or Tyson (King) wanted any part of Lennox. Same thing with Bowe.. That debacle of
    Lennox/Holyfield "DRAW" was blatant .They did everything in their power to stop Lennox becoming champion But FAILED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

destruction likes this.
  12. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    By the time Lewis/Tyson got it on Tyson was totally shot. It was a sad spectacle. But you can argue that Lewis would always have had the beating of Tyson.

However when Holyfield/Tyson happened and Holyfield/Lewis they were both in their primes or close enough to them, to make for great fights.

Lewis won both Holyfield fights clearly and was way better than him. The first fight he won by something like 8-3 but it was given as a draw, was a disgrace for US boxing.

Holyfield always had the beating of Tyson. They couldnt have met when Tyson was at his absolute peak because Holyfield wasnt even a HW then.

JohnThomas1 and Brixton Bomber like this.
  13. steve1990

steve1990 Active Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Moorer had the IBF version at and he had beaten Holyfield.
    Holyfield never ducked anybody he made a mandatory against Moorer and lost. Lewis lost to McCall later that year.