What was Marvin Hagler's greatest strength?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by MURK20, Apr 4, 2020.

1. johnmaff36

johnmaff36 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Resilience and will to win

2. Marvelous Marvin

Marvelous Marvin Gil Clancy Enthusiast Full Member

Apr 3, 2019
    Determination for sure. Also one of the strongest chins in the history of the division. Never knocked down (w/due respect to Roldan), seldom if ever hurt.

3. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    The man just didn't waste anything. Not a move, not a punch, nothing. His economy was incredible.

Flash24, ETM and Man_Machine like this.
  4. CharlesBurley

CharlesBurley Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2020
  5. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    His granite mother****ing chin, one of the greatest of all time. His determination (as so many posters have mentioned here) is a close second.

6. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Probably his versatility and length. Halger did many thinks well, but few things on the elite level, aside from taking a good punch.

Halger's ring IQ and issues with faster fighter to me were the flaws in his game. Could have been a little better on defense as well.

7. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    :lol:

8. BundiniBlack

BundiniBlack Well-Known Member Full Member

May 20, 2015
    Only thing that really stands out is his Chin, he was just really well rounded and consistent

9. Fury's Love Handles

Fury's Love Handles Mrkoolkevin Full Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Yeah, I think what was most central to Hagler's success was that he had such excellent fundamentals and the physical talent to use them successfully. He knew how to move and how to throw every punch in the book while controlling his weight and keeping his balance, and there really aren't many boxers his size or bigger who could string together so many hard, fast punches so consistently.

That's what stands out to me when I watch him during his absolute prime (maybe eearly 80 - early 83ish). I know that Hagler's mystique is based around him being a tough, determined warrior but I think all of those intangibles are really secondary.

andrewe likes this.
  10. Amos-san

Amos-san Member Full Member

Feb 2, 2020
    His professionalism and loyality to his craft

11. andrewe

andrewe Ezekiel 33 banned Full Member

Mar 13, 2020
    MENTAL TOUGHNESS! PHYSICAL TOUGHNESS! KILLER INSTINCT!

"WAR" MENTALITY!

My second favorite fighter, MARVIN HAGLER

12. thanosone

thanosone Love Your Brother Man Full Member

Sep 23, 2007
    His greatest strength was that he was Marvin Hagler.

BELLERS likes this.
  13. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    I've always thought his footwork was flawless. Not flashy but efficient. Never anyone mention it.

Flash24 likes this.
  14. BELLERS

BELLERS Active Member Full Member

Feb 22, 2020
    He was one of the best ever at his weight, if not the best Middleweight of his generation. He ruled the division when l got into boxing. He beat my home town favourite, Tony Sibson ! Sibbo said at the time & still does, ‘He’s the greatest !’
    He had it all. Strength, stamina, great jab, an aura of invincibility, durability, a will to dominate all comers. To pick one is very difficult. He was just Marvelous.

15. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    His display against Sibson for me might be his best. His jab was ridiculous in that one.

BELLERS and Flash24 like this.