What was the first boxing match you remember?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Reecedouglas1, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Jacko

Jacko Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 25, 2008
    McGuigan v Pedroza in 1985 when I was 4.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. Pompey Junglist

Pompey Junglist Member Full Member

Aug 8, 2019
    What an introduction to the sport! It's all been downhill from there lol.

3. Reg

Reg Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Wlad vs Fury.

Banger of a fight got me hooked for life.

MrFoFody likes this.
  4. sambatraube

sambatraube Member Full Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Tyson vs holyfield 96’. My grandparents loved tyson back then and introduce me to boxing.

aaalbert likes this.
  5. elmaldito

elmaldito Skillz Full Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Not really,
    My favorite fighters are hit and not get hit technicians. I like fighters like Michael spinks, Pernell Whitaker, Mike McCallum, James Toney, Mark too sharp, Chris Byrd, winky Wright, chicanito, Caleb plant, bhop, Terence crawford.
    I’ll take a high level chess match over a gatti vs ward brawl anyday.
    Chris Byrd in his prime to me was exciting. All of his Tuesday night fights, thunder, tua. I thoroughly enjoyed that.
    Lennox wanted nothing to do with that.

MrFoFody and Pompey Junglist like this.
  6. elmaldito

elmaldito Skillz Full Member

Jun 11, 2009
    that was just the first I remembered. Apparently I was in Palm Springs and watched Duran train for hagler. No recollection. We saw al Davis at lunch and my pops asked him how Marcus Allen looked. He said great. Prob before he learned Marcus was banging his daughter.

7. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    **** I dunno my family wasn't huge into boxing having a neurologist father so I guess it was Haye vs Maccarinelli and Khan vs Barrera before a decent barren streak. I used to watch the amateurs plenty though.

8. Dangerwood84

Dangerwood84 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I had seen other fights but the two that stick out for me are Holmes v Cooney and a local Aussie battle Barry Michael v Frank Ropis, I was 9 and 10 respectively. I think the Michael-Ropis fight sticks in my head because I said Ropis was gonna win but my Dad called it for Michael. He was right and I was wrong. Cooney v Holmes was just a huge fight. My Dad got up and walked out, pissed off when Cooney got stopped.

9. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I really don't know, because mostly I've seen them out of order (sometimes years later) because it was quite hard to see big fights live (still today) in my country. Which came first and which was later? I honestly don't know.

10. LeeD1982

LeeD1982 Active Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2019
    Very first was Tyson v Bruno 1 which I watched a recording of with my then Boxing-obsessed Uncle the Friday after it took place. (aged 7)

An early memory however is Lewis v Ruddock (92) which I watched recorded the following day with my Granddad. It sticks out because my Granddad was a secret Boxing fan. Secret because my Nan despised it and would chastise him for even mentioning the sport.

The latter was the same day "Ghostwatch" was screened in the UK. As a terrified 10 year old I won't forget that in a hurry.

Not allowed to watch live Boxing there, but I can watch a programme that disturbed my sleep for about a year afterwards

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  11. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Watching McCullough and Carruth in the 92 Olympics.

12. notjustacasual

notjustacasual Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Jun 3, 2019
    You are taking the ****.

13. notjustacasual

notjustacasual Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Bruno v Tyson 2

The adverts played the song "hero" by M People, I was only a little kid of 9 years old, but the local village club had the fight on the big screen, me and all the other kids were playing the street fighter 2 arcade in the pool room all night while the adults got drunk in the smokey club room. We also watched tge OG Terminator 2 on the big screen before the fight, and there was takeout chinese food everywhere, Then everyone sat down and watched Bruno get flattened.

Proper 90s childhood nostalgia,

14. thejudochop

thejudochop Active Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Tyson vs Lewis I think. But then I took about a 10 year lay off (or more) and it was Pac vs Mosley (thanks to my wife). I watch a lot more regularly now.

15. iamtheman

iamtheman Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2010
    can't remember one specific fight, but i know i started watching boxing around the time of the super middleweight super six series. the prime kessler, froch, ward, taylor days.

that was 2009-2010 which falls in line with my join date here.