What were marvis frazier's biggest weaknesses and reason why he wasn't a good in the pro's

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Grapefruit, Feb 12, 2018.

1. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    it was not his chin. He shouldn't have been hit so clean so early in some of those fights. He was not a great fighter..

2. richdanahuff

richdanahuff Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Marvis Frazier was a talented capable fighter who tried too hard to be Joe Frazier courtesy of Joe....he was not as mean or as strong to fight like Joe but that was the same style he was trained to use....I think if he had stuck with his amateur style he would have been better....coming into the 80's he was on the smaller end for that era though he was 205-210 without his fathers toughness though a tad bigger than Joe the top ten were tall rangy 210-220lb+ fighters with a few big boys coming around....I remember he had a nerve issue in his neck which he felt had caused him to get knocked out he had gotten surgery to correct it. Finally IMO the 80's heavyweights get undersold....Holmes was an ATG and everyone was fairly big alot of talent and competitive...I believe Weaver was the last of the competitive sub 210lb heavyweights...but the era was better than given credit for but until Tyson there was no exciting marquee name post Ali so it gets overlooked but make no mistake it was good.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  3. Wvboxer

Wvboxer Active Member Full Member

Apr 20, 2013
    I don't know much about Marvis. Could he have gone down & made cruiserweight? Maybe would've been more successful there.

4. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    To be truthfully honest, Jimmy Clark was another guy who may have been a tad bit overrated.

5. heizenberg

heizenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Marvis Frazier was a skilled fighter he just wasn't big enough to be a top heavyweight. His style would allow him to be hit and cause he was smaller then most heavyweights this led to him being stopped early by two great heavyweights. I believe he could've been a champion at cruiserweight.

6. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    How was he rated? I recall his fights with Stevenson in the amateurs. I thought he beat Stevenson that first fight. Stevenson won the second bout. The 3rd bout Jimmy Clark was the better man. He was winning into the 3rd round dispite constant harassment from the referee. It was blatant. Amateur boxing was frustrating to watch at times.

Russell likes this.
  7. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    So in a Nutshell Joe Frazier was both a strength to Marvis as an asset and he was a weakness. The Frazier name got Marvis exposure and options that he never would have gotten so quickly. The $ was good. Marvis Frazier made over a million dollars boxing. I guess if Marvis Frazier got out of the game with his health and $ then its a success.

8. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    he's too small and wasnt managed carefully (poor match making)

Larry Holmes?

Mike Tyson?

Those are men, and Frazier was just a boy

KidGalahad likes this.
  9. Titan1

Oct 18, 2004

Marvin indeed did have a great amateur career, but I think Greg not being there definitely worked in his favor. Plus he never fought Stevenson, but can't really hold that against him, as there were several other top US heavies that didn't either. But if he had to deal with prime Tim Witherspoon, prime Michael Dokes, even Gerry Cooney, he looking at a big L. He was definitely good, but more like a cruiserweight stopping in for a minute. Probably should have went to that division too. What he did to guys like Tim and Tony in the amateurs, wouldn't have worked in the pros.

10. Titan1

Oct 18, 2004

It definitely was. And Jimmy was winning that second fight with Teofilo. Shame he couldn't do the trick. But as far as his ranking, I don't think he was a top ten fighter. May have turned pro a couple of years too late.

ETM likes this.
  11. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    It seems to me that Marvis likely should've fought at cruiser, at least gaining his experience there. Unlike his dad who came up in the last era of 185 pound HW's, Marvis came up in the first generation of "skilled" SHW's. Even though he beat some good heavies, it's not inconceivable that a very good or great cruiser could beat a good heavy. I don't think that Marvis could've lived with the upcoming Holyfield's, Bowe's, Lewises and Ruddocks. We all saw what happened against Tyson.

The other thing was that from what I understand, Marvis was fighting using the wrong style. From what I understand, Marvis was ideally more of a boxer-mover type than a come forward slugger like his dad. Marvis should've been fighting more like say, Quick Tillis. But when you're dad is a HOF heavyweight champion, are you going to tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to boxing?

Also, it probably would've helped if he had someone who could look at things more objectively. Joe Frazier's image of Marvis was colored by the fact that Marvis was his son, so he may have wanted to believe that his son could beat any and everybody. No way he should've been fed to the wolves, so to speak, against Larry Holmes and Mike Tyson. A more objective manager may have brought him along more slowly and even recommended that he would consider fighting at cruiser for a while.

KidGalahad and Grapefruit like this.
  12. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    I think he could've been if some things had been different. For example, had he fought at cruiser, he may have ended up becoming an ATG cruiser.

13. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    Marvis was actually 5 years older than Tyson.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  14. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    This x 100

15. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    I hate to see Marvis written off as a "bum" because he was actually a very capable fighter. The stars just didn't align for him.

CANNONBALL likes this.