What were Sonny Listons weaknesses?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Scott Cork, Feb 17, 2021.

1. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Unfortunately for him, he not only shared an era with him, but had to defend his title against him!

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. The Fighting Yoda

The Fighting Yoda Active Member Full Member

Jan 5, 2021
    I thought more about the Ali fights, the controversial endings, low blows against Machen and his dubious management. I wouldn`t call it a general weakness, but I have the impression, that he wasn`t on the longrun a warrior with heart and soul, compare to some other great champions (Marciano, Frazier, Ali, Holyfield, Holmes, Louis...).

louis54 and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Very few on paper.

In practice his mindset and discipline were not the best.

4. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    A bit slow and ponderous, tended to lunge with his jab (though that could have been a tactical decision). Could be a bit clubby with his punches in combination. Didn't always take the best shot.

On the plus side he had good timing, very good power, was patient and calm under pressure and used excellent subtle head movement to close distance on taller or quicker fighters. His was a good mix of the dead calmness of Louis with the menacing aura of Foreman, and I think that helped swing a lot of fights in his favour from almost the opening bell.

Richard M Murrieta and sasto like this.
  5. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Liston's weakness was any great boxer. Ali and Holmes immediately come to mind. Some great Boxer/Punchers might be problems for him. Louis and Lewis come to mind immediately.

6. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    His biggest weakness was he lacked the heart of other great champs much like Tyson. Don’t think either ever won one getting off the canvas? Could be wrong there so correct me if I’m wrong.

choklab and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  7. KletkoNetwork

KletkoNetwork I make YouTube videos. Full Member

Feb 17, 2021
  8. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Liston showed his heart when he had his nose broken by Williams and came back to KO him. He also knocked out Valdez after he shut his eye. Earlier in his career he fought the better part of an 8-rounder with a broken jaw, and fought valiantly to an SD loss.

Richard M Murrieta and Guru88 like this.
  9. WAR01

WAR01 In the 7.2% Full Member

Aug 19, 2019
    He had heart, just not cut from the same cloth as them heart is a lot like chin logic on this board there is only glass or iron.

10. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    I don’t deny he had some adversity. But he was better then those men and he knew it. Think there is a different mentality there. The Ali fights were terrible for his legacy. A man imo that’s arguably a top five hw

choklab and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  11. Frankus

Frankus Active Member Full Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Booze and the man not giving him a shot earlier.

12. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Boxing forum threaders 60 yrs later!!!!!

13. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    That E&J Brandy, sometimes finding things before they were lost. Then the Police dogs.

14. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    As a fighter? He should be locked up for impersonating a fighter.

15. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Let's see...how did Marciano do in the biggest fights of his career?....Oh yeah,....49-0 with 43 KO's! How did Liston do in the 2 biggest fights of his career?....Oh yeah,.....he S**T the bed...(as we used to say!!!)...for all the world to see! If he couldn't intimidate you...you had him! He wasn't that mentally tough...like other great warriors I could mention!!!